Does anyone know why Phaneuf was traded from Calgary?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
There are many rumors. Other gm's have said they didn't even know he was being shopped and that they would have offered more. Lots of speculation though.

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
There are many rumors. Other gm's have said they didn't even know he was being shopped and that they would have offered more. Lots of speculation though.

I was out of the country when it happened. When I came back I was so excited for the trade that I never look into the reason why it happened.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
From TSN

Veteran players referred to Phaneuf as "Neon Dion" and found him, at times, overly confident, if not cocky, on and off the ice.
There were arguments, and some wanted Keenan to tighten the reigns and discipline Phaneuf, but the former coach enjoyed Phaneuf's sometimes, combative nature and verbal approach and was willing to live with his mistakes as he developed.

At times there was friction in Calgary's dressing room, and perhaps a sense of jealousy over the 6 year, $39 million dollar extension Phaneuf signed with the Flames in 2008.

Cocky...Where have I heard that before? That said, it is difficult to have a team with too many Alpha's and Kadri is as much an Alpha as Phaneuf so there is bound to be friction.

BluPuk*

Dion wanted to come to the home of hockey. Like all hockey players want...

Wait your turn, please... :D

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
From TSN

Cocky...Where have I heard that before? That said, it is difficult to have a team with too many Alpha's and Kadri is as much an Alpha as Phaneuf so there is bound to be friction.

Nah, that's ********. Professionals figure out how to work with each other. Go look at an investment banking office. Lots of hard-driving alphas working together. It's even better in a hockey environment because they are all working toward the same goal (to win), and have far less reasons to play against each other (highly variable bonuses to compete for).

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Phaneuf was not living up to his contract, was considered to be overpaid, and, a cancer in the dressing room. Found a sucker in Burke and unloaded their boat anchor for table scraps. They're happy they aren't saddled with Phaneuf and his onerous contract he just signed today!

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Phaneuf was not living up to his contract, was considered to be overpaid, and, a cancer in the dressing room. Found a sucker in Burke and unloaded their boat anchor for table scraps. They're happy they aren't saddled with Phaneuf and his onerous contract he just signed today!
The Flames have just gone onwards and upwards ever since and now they have Burke. The whole thing is hilarious. After the Leafs the Flames are the only team I would ever root for and both of them are gong show franchises.:(

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The Flames have just gone onwards and upwards ever since and now they have Burke. The whole thing is hilarious. After the Leafs the Flames are the only team I would ever root for and both of them are gong show franchises.:(

Gong Show Leafs!!! :D

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Biggest reason: The flames had very little forward depth, and had Bouwmeester Regher Giordano Hamrlik and Phaneuf on D. They traded from a position of strength. Where there other factors? Possibly.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They thought relieving themselves of his cap space and replacing it with Stajan, White and Hagman would work wonders for them.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Do not forget Jamal Mayers

They didn't resign him. But they did re-sign Stajan for 3.5M. Which meant that White, Hagman and Stajan took up more space than Phaneuf the following year. Some thought White himself was better than Phaneuf...

Honestly, this is what we go through in Leaf Nation.

:help:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Someone took over the locker room DJ roll, so he requested a trade to a team where he can control the misic

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Phaneuf was having a rough season, and the Flames felt they had a lot of depth on D so they traded him for forwards (and Ian White).

I don't see why people have to make such a big deal about it. Iginla has said a few times there was never a problem with Phaneuf on/off the ice. I think they even go to dinner the day before/after they play against each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad