Does anyone disagree that we NEED to be truly bad next season?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
No one is trading a top D or center for either of those and then keeping a job at the NHL level. JVR is as close to a must trade as the Leafs have his contract means nothing to a rebuilding team and everything to a contending one trade him for younger players who the new crew can develop to play strong 200 foot games I'm tired of the lazy entitled floater era that JVR is certainly a cornerstone of.

I'm 100% fine trading JVR but he has a lot of value with that contract.

JVR can certainly be a top trade piece as part of a package for a # 1 center or Dmen just like Eriksson or B. Schenn or Lupul was for Pronger.

Eventually a top center or Dmen will become available on the trade market because the player or team want to go in another direction.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
You don't need to be bad. That isn't the intention. You just operate as if you want to develop players and compete 2-3-5 years down the road. If Rielly, Kadri and Nylander turn out to be high-end players next year and we make the playoffs, then cool. We don't need to draft high as badly as we thought.

It's a self-correcting process. Just play the kids and don't do anything to **** it up.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
You don't need to be bad. That isn't the intention. You just operate as if you want to develop players and compete 2-3-5 years down the road. If Rielly, Kadri and Nylander turn out to be high-end players next year and we make the playoffs, then cool. We don't need to draft high as badly as we thought.

It's a self-correcting process. Just play the kids and don't do anything to **** it up.

This. I'm sure many people believed Calgary "needed" to be bad at the start of the 14/15 season.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The Leafs are exactly as bad as they were this season. The Leafs had the fourth worst CF and FF%, and while their PDO was a little low at 99.4, the Hurricanes and Coyotes were significantly lower at 97.1 and 97.2 respectively. There's nothing to suggest this core can win enough to make the playoffs, never mind win a cup.

So bad that, they were the worst at GF, since before the forward pass. No way.

I'm sure Babcock will improve the numbers you gave. Always top 4.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Management has catered to season ticket holders for the last 10 years by trying to squeak into the playoffs. It's time to do the right thing for the franchise and the end result should translate into a perennial cup contender. To fix something properly it has to get worse before it gets better.

I'm not disagreeing about needing to do the "right thing", I'm simply pointing out that when you have obligations to your revenue streams, it's not as easy as it seems on a message board.

Regardless, they just catered to the STH, by hiring Babcock. That should be enough for a least a couple of years of rebuilding.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I don't think we need to be worse, at least not on purpose. I wouldn't be breaking my neck to move up the standings either. Honestly, if I was running the team I'd be more worried about how I want my team to play moving forward and focus on putting supports in place. You only have some control on where you draft anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad