Does a pair of $600 skates make THAT MUCH of a difference then a $200 pair

CookieCrumbs*

I've been using Reebok 6K's. I just started playing about 3 months ago, but have been picking it up decently fast and now play about 3 times a week. I wish I'd gone for something a little higher end as honestly I can see these starting to wear already.

Anybody else use/used these skates? And if so, how long did they last you?

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
I've been using Reebok 6K's. I just started playing about 3 months ago, but have been picking it up decently fast and now play about 3 times a week. I wish I'd gone for something a little higher end as honestly I can see these starting to wear already.

Anybody else use/used these skates? And if so, how long did they last you?

I've had mine since last Christmas, so over a year now. The tendon guards are cracked on the outside where it connects to the boot almost from the start, though in no danger of falling off. And the top inside of the lining is starting to wear. But other than typical wear and tear they've held up and still work just as good, playing 2x a week.

Even if I had a time machine, I'd still go for the 6K's as they were the best fit for me in the price range.

Last edited:

Pedagogue

May 31, 2009
The average beer leauger has no business buying $600 - $800 skates. Unless you are rich. Yes, skates are your most important piece of equipment but fit is the most important factor with skates. A lot of beginners think that if they buy a top-level skate that is lighter they will skate like a pro :laugh: Skating is all about technique. For a good skater I feel the best value is a skate that is just below the top of the line which still can be about $500. I skate in Graf 705's which are just below the G series. You will never see the 705's on sale as they are Graf's best selling skate.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
The average beer leauger has no business buying $600 - $800 skates. Unless you are rich. Yes, skates are your most important piece of equipment but fit is the most important factor with skates. A lot of beginners think that if they buy a top-level skate that is lighter they will skate like a pro :laugh: Skating is all about technique. For a good skater I feel the best value is a skate that is just below the top of the line which still can be about $500. I skate in Graf 705's which are just below the G series. You will never see the 705's on sale as they are Graf's best selling skate.

:laugh: I love it when people draw the line right at their price point. What's the difference in $500 and $600-$800? $500 is still a damn expensive skate and if somebody can afford that, they can probably afford to skate in whatever they want. (I skate in 705s as well, because they're the only skate that fits me.)

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012

$500 is still a lot of money.

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011

:shakehead Let me know when I can go custom on anything not top of the line.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
:shakehead Let me know when I can go custom on anything not top of the line.

you wont be able to, its not worth the companies time or effort to do so.

when it comes to price on skates, its all dependant on need.

if your a beginner skates who will maybe skate once or twice a week, low level skates will be just fine. if you play more than that its worth it to spend the extra money to get better quality and longer lasting skates, if your committed to playing alot of hockey, its worth it to get a better skate. the benefits are endless.

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
you wont be able to, its not worth the companies time or effort to do so.

when it comes to price on skates, its all dependant on need.

if your a beginner skates who will maybe skate once or twice a week, low level skates will be just fine. if you play more than that its worth it to spend the extra money to get better quality and longer lasting skates, if your committed to playing alot of hockey, its worth it to get a better skate. the benefits are endless.

Wasn't exactly trying to be serious about it, but there are some people like me that without going the custom route, the only way to get a skate to fit is to have a skate too big.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Wasn't exactly trying to be serious about it, but there are some people like me that without going the custom route, the only way to get a skate to fit is to have a skate too big.

thats what i had to do with my APX skates, got them pro stiff and got them made in a 7.5 length and a size 9 depth

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
thats what i had to do with my APX skates, got them pro stiff and got them made in a 7.5 length and a size 9 depth

The only thing that fits reasonably close are Flexlites for me. And they're still too narrow at 1/2 too long.

ArrogantOwl

Nov 27, 2011
Narrow in the heel? Can't you get them stretched up front? How's the depth?

Too shallow ( I wear orthotics), too narrow in the toe-box, fore-foot isn't too bad as long as I keep it decently loose, and the heel isn't that bad, although there isn't 100% lock.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
My philosophy on skates and sticks:

Expensive, high performance gear can make a good hockey player into a slightly better hockey player. If you have the skills in place, the small structural advantages can take your game to the next level, especially when it comes to shooting and skating.

If you're a mediocre or bad hockey player, the gear won't help at all. You have to reach that certain threshold to take advantage of the high performance quality and perks.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
if you want instant benefits for $50 instead of $500, get yellow superfeet insoles and flat bottom v sharpening.

I upgraded from $200 skates to $400 skates (though they only cost me $230) a year ago, but it was the superfeet and flat bottom v that made a huge impact. I can carve tighter corners and accelerate faster from my first step. Can't imagine going back. Between the skates and the sharpening and the insoles, I don't think I'm exaggerating to say I'm twice the skater I was a year ago.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
if you want instant benefits for $50 instead of $500, get yellow superfeet insoles and flat bottom v sharpening.

I upgraded from $200 skates to $400 skates (though they only cost me $230) a year ago, but it was the superfeet and flat bottom v that made a huge impact. I can carve tighter corners and accelerate faster from my first step. Can't imagine going back. Between the skates and the sharpening and the insoles, I don't think I'm exaggerating to say I'm twice the skater I was a year ago.

I just got FBV on my skates and it is HUGE. Tighter turns, better glide, more edge control. I don't think I could ever go back. I ordered Superfeet yellows Saturday night, looking forward to getting them in.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
My philosophy on skates and sticks:

Expensive, high performance gear can make a good hockey player into a slightly better hockey player. If you have the skills in place, the small structural advantages can take your game to the next level, especially when it comes to shooting and skating.

If you're a mediocre or bad hockey player, the gear won't help at all. You have to reach that certain threshold to take advantage of the high performance quality and perks.

I'm with you there. Skates and sticks I always buy high end but from what I'm reading I am rich because I can afford $600 skates. Glad I'm not poor, would be stuck with a lowly $500 skate.

Jul 31, 2005
CA

I use the Superfeet Yellow and the FBV, I don't think I've met anybody else out here in SoCal that seems to like the FBV though. The difference in glide has been huge for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad