Does a pair of $600 skates make THAT MUCH of a difference then a $200 pair

dwreckm

Feb 2, 2012
Alaska
I honestly can't think of a good reason not to spend the most money on your skates if you're going to play ice hockey. It's the most important piece of equipment.

vapor11

Aug 15, 2011
Sort of on the same subject..I went from a pair of last years U+ 06's to a pair of Vapor x3.0's and after about 2 months of couple time use a week I am wishing I would have went for the x4.0s(Which are $275 CDN :shakehead .. $100 more then 3.0's)..I knew from the start I was going to a less-stiffer boot but thought it would not be noticeable

I would like to consider myself an A skater and when I go 100% I fatigue quicker(could be in my head)..although a few changes were my x3.0's fit perfectly so I got out of the habit of tying my laces around my ankles so I may be getting a better stride which uses more gas..I am one of those players that watches other guys out there and wants to be the best so it is sorta bothering me.I want that extra edge..wish I could spend $800 on the APX's

nolan91

Dec 9, 2011
Vancouver,BC
it all comes down to how often you play and how they fit. If you're a heavy guy who plays alot they will be worth it but if you only play a couple nights a week goodluck breaking them in.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
it all comes down to how often you play and how they fit. If you're a heavy guy who plays alot they will be worth it but if you only play a couple nights a week goodluck breaking them in.

This. There's really a quality floor you don't want to go below, but beyond that, unless you're playing varsity high school or Juniors you really don't need to go all out on skates. It's not like a pair of APXs or TotalOnes will unlock magical skating abilities, they're just boots with blades on them. The chief reason to buy higher quality skates (like U+CL vs U+06 or 08s) is durability. They're all "crazy light" now anyway.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Just get the most comfortable $200 pair you can find. Then spend the other $400 on power skating lessons (worth 3 semesters, 12 classes each here). You'll be far far better off.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I can say that I bought low end skates to start 5 years ago and I hit a wall quickly. So a friend who played AAA all his life got me to buy high end skates and I was able to advance my skating and as he explained it the better skates have better energy transfer and support so you will find yourself building better skating habits by default. You don't need to buy the latest top end skates. There is a place by me selling the CCM U+ Pro skates for 300 bucks right now and 2 year old One95s for around the same price (New in box) Shop around and you can get good quality skates new for great prices. MVHO.

Robs789

Apr 1, 2011
Ive been using a pair of Mission Axiom T6 skates and they are stiff. Besides other small details i cant imagine it being that much better. Stiffness and support are the most important.

sonny side up

Dec 30, 2006
the dark room
www.flickr.com
Yes, IMO they do.. I got a $950 pair from Bauer, I love them. I skated in a cheap pair most of my life and had foot pain, poor protection, and other issues aside from feeling cheap.. these are amazing. But would I have spent more than $500 on it, heeeeelllllllllllllllllllllll no, but I also play beer league hockey, lol.

Note: I'm a poor college kid and I got them slightly used by Mike Lundin at an equipment sale the Bolts had one day in November, lol. $100 for $950 pair, booyah!

As for the other equipment, I don't think its that smart to spend the extra money on it. I would have stuck with my 10 year old gloves if the Bolts didn't have that sale (I got some siiiick Warrior ones for $50, normally $300). Although I did have to replace my helmet no matter what (once again, for 50 I got a 300 dollar helmet with Oakley visor, woot woot!)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Ive been using a pair of Mission Axiom T6 skates and they are stiff. Besides other small details i cant imagine it being that much better. Stiffness and support are the most important.

No, fit is the most important.

RJC

Oct 15, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Yes, IMO they do.. I got a $950 pair from Bauer, I love them. I skated in a cheap pair most of my life and had foot pain, poor protection, and other issues aside from feeling cheap.. these are amazing. But would I have spent more than $500 on it, heeeeelllllllllllllllllllllll no, but I also play beer league hockey, lol.

Note: I'm a poor college kid and I got them slightly used by Mike Lundin at an equipment sale the Bolts had one day in November, lol. $100 for $950 pair, booyah!

As for the other equipment, I don't think its that smart to spend the extra money on it. I would have stuck with my 10 year old gloves if the Bolts didn't have that sale (I got some siiiick Warrior ones for $50, normally $300). Although I did have to replace my helmet no matter what (once again, for 50 I got a 300 dollar helmet with Oakley visor, woot woot!)

There are no 950$ pair of skates.

ryangib

May 4, 2009

I can not stress enough to people how good those nhl team equipment sales are for players on a budget.
People look at me like I'm crazy when I talk about it sometimes.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Just get the most comfortable $200 pair you can find. Then spend the other $400 on power skating lessons (worth 3 semesters, 12 classes each here). You'll be far far better off.

This. I took power skating since I was about 7 till I was about 13 all-year round. I hated every moment of it but at the same time, I've rarely seen many players faster then me. I was taught by the same woman who was the Leafs skating coach, a well known figure skater I can skate faster without taking a single stride then some people can going full out. It's all leg strength and technique. I wish more parents would sign their kids up as well as learning how to skate without a stick.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I can not stress enough to people how good those nhl team equipment sales are for players on a budget.
People look at me like I'm crazy when I talk about it sometimes.

To a certain extent. Great for grabbing gloves and certain protective and accessories (jerseys and socks), sticks as well if you can use the flex.

Helmets though, I would be more careful finding the proper fitting one that's NEW and unused (don't know if the foams have broken down after impacts).

Also it depends on exactly WHICH team the sale is for. Have you seen Leafs prices? Almost quadruple what you'd see on teams south of the border :(

Pro stock skates are very tricky as they were custom made for someone else's foot with features you often would not find in retail. Unless you're a competent skater and you know for sure exactly what type of fit and size you are, I would not consider prostock.

But then again, most prostock gear (protective and skates especially) is technically too much for any rec league player or beginner.

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
I agree with the position that you'd be better off spending $200 on skates and $400 on skating lessons.

I've been skating literally since I could walk. I've had cheap skates (hurt!), medium skates, and once some used spendy ones. Nothing matters more than the fit of them.

A couple of weeks ago I found myself in the position of borrowing a pair of skates for a game - they were old cheap CCMs, and I've been in Bauers most of my life. They were a totally different sharpening than mine and a really weird forward profile, and probably upwards of a size too big... Took me about 5 minutes of warmup to get used to them and was skating around like normal.

I admit it makes me chuckle inwardly to hear total beginners talking about super expensive skates and their preference for sharpenings.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Pro stock skates are very tricky as they were custom made for someone else's foot with features you often would not find in retail. Unless you're a competent skater and you know for sure exactly what type of fit and size you are, I would not consider prostock.

True dat. A friend of mine who is a very good ex college player bought a pair of pro player skates and it was a total waste of money. They were fitted for a specific player's foot and just didn't fit him right. I don't know why anyone would ever think pro used skates will fit their foot well.

As others have said, most important thing is fit. Next is fit, then fit, then fit, then support.

Pedagogue

May 31, 2009
If you can skate, then a top level skate does make a difference. If you can't skate do not waste your money. Also, if you buy a top level skate and don't play enough you'll have a hell of a time breaking them in. I was skating in Graf 605's I then moved up to 705's I play an average of 2 times a week all year round. I had the skates baked twice and punched out multiple times. 705's are stiff (compared to 605's). It's only after 6 months of using them that they are finally broken in.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
No, although $200 skates could make an A skater into an A- skater and the right $600 skates could make an A skater into an A+ skater. But technique >>>>>> equipment.

Yup. Been there, done that. First time I stepped on the ice after going from a $300 pair to a $700 pair it was obvious. But if you can't skate, it's not gonna make a difference.

RoninNYR

Jan 31, 2011
NJ
Do expensive skates last longer than mid level one's?

I am a very strong skater, i use a 7/16 or 3/8 @ 6ft 200lbs and my skates seem to breakdown after about 2 years but i really do put some force on them...

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
This. There's really a quality floor you don't want to go below, but beyond that, unless you're playing varsity high school or Juniors you really don't need to go all out on skates. It's not like a pair of APXs or TotalOnes will unlock magical skating abilities, they're just boots with blades on them. The chief reason to buy higher quality skates (like U+CL vs U+06 or 08s) is durability. They're all "crazy light" now anyway.
this. And like someone said, spend the money on skating lessons.
Do not buy a pair of skates under $100, and you don't really need to pay for a pair of skates over $250.
Many people say the main reason is that they are lighter, which is pretty retarted. You have a 50lb leg and you think that a handful of grams is going to make a difference.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Unless you can really afford $600 skates it really isn't worth it.
Unless you are a professional hockey player it makes about as much sense to spend $600-900 on skates as it does to buy a 4 year old a composite stick.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Do expensive skates last longer than mid level one's?

I am a very strong skater, i use a 7/16 or 3/8 @ 6ft 200lbs and my skates seem to breakdown after about 2 years but i really do put some force on them...

Generally, yes they are more durable. Weight should definitely be a factor in selecting a level of skate as heavier-set people put more stress on the boot, thus requiring a stiffer skate in most cases.

this. And like someone said, spend the money on skating lessons.
Do not buy a pair of skates under $100, and you don't really need to pay for a pair of skates over $250.
Many people say the main reason is that they are lighter, which is pretty retarted. You have a 50lb leg and you think that a handful of grams is going to make a difference.

Unless you can really afford $600 skates it really isn't worth it.
Unless you are a professional hockey player it makes about as much sense to spend $600-900 on skates as it does to buy a 4 year old a composite stick.

I'm going to argue that the safest/highest value/best performance pricepoint for skates is smack dab in the $250-$300 range for your average rec leaguer and up to $400 if you want that boot to last a long time. Anything more than that is unnecessary, agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad