Does a pair of $600 skates make THAT MUCH of a difference then a $200 pair

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Do expensive skates last longer than mid level one's?

I am a very strong skater, i use a 7/16 or 3/8 @ 6ft 200lbs and my skates seem to breakdown after about 2 years but i really do put some force on them...

ive had my graf 705's for 8 years and they are still in great shape

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
ive had my graf 705's for 8 years and they are still in great shape

I think traditional quality skates like the Tacks 1152 or Pro-tacks, Bauer Supreme Custom (5000 series) and the 700 series graf, which have been around forever, will last longer than the current composite boot

My 9k's are wearing and I can feel flexion in the boot where I shouldn't or hadn't before

I've heard S15/S11 skates breaking dowen, I've heard that the One90 skate was more durable than the latest supreme...

but you get a much lighter boot than even the Grafs.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I think traditional quality skates like the Tacks 1152 or Pro-tacks, Bauer Supreme Custom (5000 series) and the 700 series graf, which have been around forever, will last longer than the current composite boot

My 9k's are wearing and I can feel flexion in the boot where I shouldn't or hadn't before

I've heard S15/S11 skates breaking dowen, I've heard that the One90 skate was more durable than the latest supreme...

Just to hijack the thread a bit, but even between $600 and $700 skates there could be a difference. I skated one night last week at an OH wearing my Graf G70s, and then put on my G75s for the first time at a public skate and the difference in weight/feel was astronomical. Even a friend of mine watching at the public skate said I seemed faster in the 75s.

It feels like going from cement shoes to ballet slippers, the difference is that huge.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
that would be the end result after a lot of practice and ice time.

Starting out, the blades should be perpendicular, then as you get more comfortable and stronger with the technique then you get into a deeper angle for faster stops.

Not trying to be an argumentative ***** (seriously I'm not), but I don't agree with this. When a beginner is learning to stop, starting with snow plows, then one skate plows then to a full hockey stop, I think it is much easier to learn with a little more angle to it. Staying too upright makes it harder to balance and sometimes go out the front. Any of the 'learn to stop' videos I've ever seen using the progressive method have all shown a healthy angle to the blade.

IMO, the biggest issue most beginners have with stopping has nothing to do with blade angle/position and everything to do with body position (knees, hips and chest).

Jarick

Doing Nothing
This is getting off-topic, but when I was learning to stop on my weak foot, I adapted the mentality of "turn and sit". Meaning I would glide, then turn and bend knees/sit butt down.

Eventually I learned that the faster you go, the more you have to lean away from the stop. And then I got more and more comfortable until it became second nature.

BigDuke6

Jan 19, 2012
Inside
I started skating last summer, and have been using One60's since I started. I've been pondering upgrading them, but I only get to the rink a couple of times a week and I'm not sure it is really worth it. The skates are holding up fine, I've just been wondering if a higher end skate would help me get better. I think more ice time would be the best solution.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I'm curious how they made a difference.

When you say stability, what do you mean? I would definitely upgrade from the Silver Edition, but you don't need to go crazy and buy TotalOnes.

Any time I would do crossovers or do any move that required a lot of edge work, I felt so much more stable/comfortable in the rentals/borrowers.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I started skating last summer, and have been using One60's since I started. I've been pondering upgrading them, but I only get to the rink a couple of times a week and I'm not sure it is really worth it. The skates are holding up fine, I've just been wondering if a higher end skate would help me get better. I think more ice time would be the best solution.

If they fit well you should be fine, so long as they're still stiff. They are good skates.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
If you're not playing college, high-level juniors or pros: no, they don't really at all. The difference would be negligible, especially at the price. If you have the money to splurge for nicer skates, then by all means go for it. I break other equipment way too often to afford an expensive pair of skates. Mid-level skates in the $150-250 price range last me at least 2-3 years.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
This is getting off-topic, but when I was learning to stop on my weak foot, I adapted the mentality of "turn and sit". Meaning I would glide, then turn and bend knees/sit butt down.

Eventually I learned that the faster you go, the more you have to lean away from the stop. And then I got more and more comfortable until it became second nature.

Similar thing here. After I suffered nerve damage in my left leg and lost muscle memory, I had to relearn how to stop on that foot. Helped me to think about throwing my butt out and sliding into a seated position. Allowed me to relearn the feel for the edges on that skate.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
Any time I would do crossovers or do any move that required a lot of edge work, I felt so much more stable/comfortable in the rentals/borrowers.

Sounds like your boots either don't give enough support or are breaking down, or the blades aren't sharpened right.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Right and to be clear, that was just how I learned the feel for the edges and balance, not necessarily proper technique.

Yup, same. It was that 'over exaggeration' so to speak that allowed me to get over that initial hurdle of having no feel to having some feel and being to at least do an ugly stop. From there I refined it. Now I stop better on that side than I do on my 'strong' side.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Not trying to be an argumentative ***** (seriously I'm not), but I don't agree with this. When a beginner is learning to stop, starting with snow plows, then one skate plows then to a full hockey stop, I think it is much easier to learn with a little more angle to it. Staying too upright makes it harder to balance and sometimes go out the front. Any of the 'learn to stop' videos I've ever seen using the progressive method have all shown a healthy angle to the blade.

IMO, the biggest issue most beginners have with stopping has nothing to do with blade angle/position and everything to do with body position (knees, hips and chest).

I'm going to partially disagree, partially agree. Speaking as someone who learned to properly stop in the last five years as an adult.

Yes, it is about body position and angle. But by starting off easy with a vertical angle to get used to the snow plow, it gives the player a chance to develop the necessary ankle strength, confidence, balance, muscle memory to eventually develop the proper body position. The near vertical blade gives you a wider margin for error which is what you want starting out.

That was my first hand experience. I learned proper stops from my power skating instructor, soon as he told me about the blade angle to start out, it got alot easier as far as learning to stop, then just became about repetition and practice.

Now I'm at a point where I can do a hockey stop at full speed in a deep angle no problem, either foot, two footed or just on one.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
If you're not playing college, high-level juniors or pros: no, they don't really at all. The difference would be negligible, especially at the price. If you have the money to splurge for nicer skates, then by all means go for it. I break other equipment way too often to afford an expensive pair of skates. Mid-level skates in the $150-250 price range last me at least 2-3 years.

thats you though, i took a 300 pair of skates and they were work out in less then a year, moved to 500 dollar grafs and they wore out in less than 12 month. thank god the owner of the shop new me and rebuilt them free of charge. they lasted me another two and a half years but now they are soft.

for me i needed a stiffer book so i went custom and got pro stiff level. it depends on need along with price range that should be noted

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like your boots either don't give enough support or are breaking down, or the blades aren't sharpened right.

I think the sharpening is okay. That doesn't feel much different than anything else. I just wonder if this is the cost of having really crummy skates, and it's time to get a better pair that is better suited to my improve abilities (these are the same skates I used when I first learned how to skate, a $40 pair).

livingminimal

Feb 24, 2012
This thread is cracking me up.
No, not you, or anyone else on this board needs the most high-end skates possible.
After 25 years of playing, all I've realized I need is a skate that fits and is well-constructed, relatively light made by a reputable brand, and it makes no difference if that skate is from 2012 or 2007. Losing 20grams will make no difference for anyone, ever. I actually think Graf makes the best skates, and they've done less in terms of "innovation" (i.e.: Marketing) than Bauer or RBK.

Skating is about technique. It can be coached, but really, in many ways, it's derivative of talent.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
No, not you, or anyone else on this board needs the most high-end skates possible.
After 25 years of playing, all I've realized I need is a skate that fits and is well-constructed, relatively light made by a reputable brand, and it makes no difference if that skate is from 2012 or 2007. Losing 20grams will make no difference for anyone, ever. I actually think Graf makes the best skates, and they've done less in terms of "innovation" (i.e.: Marketing) than Bauer or RBK.

Skating is about technique. It can be coached, but really, in many ways, it's derivative of talent.

Which is what most people in this thread are saying.

I think the sharpening is okay. That doesn't feel much different than anything else. I just wonder if this is the cost of having really crummy skates, and it's time to get a better pair that is better suited to my improve abilities (these are the same skates I used when I first learned how to skate, a $40 pair).

If your boots feel worse than rental boots, yeah, it's past time to get new skates. Go to a reputable shop and get someone with experience to recommend a solid pair that fits you right.

I recently bought new skates because my old pair was hurting my instep. The guy at the store could have suggested $600 X7.0s or One100s or U+CLs, but he set me up with a pair of U+06s for $200 bucks that are the most comfortable skates I've ever worn.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Which is what most people in this thread are saying.

If your boots feel worse than rental boots, yeah, it's past time to get new skates. Go to a reputable shop and get someone with experience to recommend a solid pair that fits you right.

I recently bought new skates because my old pair was hurting my instep. The guy at the store could have suggested $600 X7.0s or One100s or U+CLs, but he set me up with a pair of U+06s for $200 bucks that are the most comfortable skates I've ever worn.

Damn. I guess I've been using bad/poor fitting skates for a while now. My instep always had some discomfort--just figured that was something that all skates had.

Guess it's time to try a new pair of skates.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
thats you though, i took a 300 pair of skates and they were work out in less then a year, moved to 500 dollar grafs and they wore out in less than 12 month. thank god the owner of the shop new me and rebuilt them free of charge. they lasted me another two and a half years but now they are soft.

for me i needed a stiffer book so i went custom and got pro stiff level. it depends on need along with price range that should be noted
Well, yeah, it depends. If you're a bigger guy, mid-level skates aren't going to hold up as long or as well as they do with average/smaller guys. I'm about average, so I was just giving advice from my point of view. But yeah, if you're 200+ lb guy, you can and most likely will go through skates often.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

That is what we've been saying for three pages now...

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011

I'd pay $600 for a new pair of 1152's in a second, man I loved those skates, talk about durablility. :nod:

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
I'd pay $600 for a new pair of 1152's in a second, man I loved those skates, talk about durablility. :nod:

I've got 10 year old Pro Tacks that, save for a bit of frayed stitching and a whole lot of scuffs, you'd swear were brand new. I had to replace the holders, but that's more because the ProLites were terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad