Do you want Toronto to win the lottery if the Sabres don't?

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
As great as the rivalry would be, I want to beat the Leafs every time we play them and I enjoy them sucking.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
You're asking if I want to be emotionally involved in one of the biggest rivalries in sports for over a decade?

Of course I do.

The rivalry is better when Toronto and Buffalo are good.

They can get good without McDavid then.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I want the leafs to go full 2013 Sabres and end up with Lawson Crouse.
If they get McDavid I won't hear the end of it. You guys don't live in Leafs nation. It's unbearable.

"HEY MAN DID YOU SEE NYLANDER OH MY GOD HE'LL BE BETTER THAN PATRICK KANE" Every.****ing.Day.

Totally agree. Toronto media will stop covering the playoffs if Leafs win the lottery. It will be stories about McDavid 24/7. This is my freakin' nightmare.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't care.

I want the Sabres to win the lottery. Ill be disappointed for about 30 seconds then I'll think about Eichel and all will be good in the world again.

What happens , happens.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Love the idea, if we just can't get McDavid for ourselves. Not only would a rejuvenated America v Canada/Buffalo v Toronto/Eichel v McDavid rivalry be crazy intense... but both of these kids would grow and develop right on our doorstep.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I choose the poll option for "don't give a crap one way or the other."

All I care about is that we get our McEichel. I really don't care who gets the other McEichel. If it's Toronto, fine. If it's someone else, fine. I don't care.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Absolutely not. Toronto is high on my list of most-disliked-franchises-across-all-sports. Up there with Boston for NHL franchises. I don't root for good fortune to happen to them.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
On one hand, naturally we like seeing Toronto suffer as they are our division rival. McDavid will help their team get out of the funk they have been in for a long time. Maybe not next year, but he would sooner than later make them good again. Plus, we would have to deal with hearing Toronto fans talk about how great he is for the next 15+ years.

On the other hand, how amazing would it be for the Buffalo/Toronto rivalry? Sports are better when their are heated rivalries. This one would be on fire and for a very long time. As much as we don't like seeing Toronto win, it's great when both teams are good and they come to the 1st niagara center. It's like a playoff game each time. I remember what is was like in that building when the the battle between the fans chanting was even better than what we were watching on he ice. I do want to experience that again. We could have that for the next 10-15 years if we get the American Eichel and they get the Canadien McDavid.

What do you guys think?

WTF? No, times 1000. I want them to wallow in eternal mediocritiy. Making one Kessel from Bruins trade after another. Hockey purgatory forever.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hrmmm, I've been thinking about this. Now, I'm assuming they will clear out some cap space at the deadline, but.....they won't be able to move the bad contracts until after regular season.

Now, the leafs appear to finally be on the right course. They have realized that their core, as is, isn't good enough to win. They need to raze and rebuild. With good drafting and smart management, this is the way to go.

Now, imagine they win the lotto and get McDavid.

You think that plan suddenly changes. Of course it does. No way they are trading Kessel. No one will offer them what they claim is "fair value" for Phaneuf.

In fact, the whole "Rebuild plan" is probably scratched.

McDavid could actually be the worst thing that ever happened to the leafs. Imagine they change coaches and make the playoffs next year with McDavid. Suddenly its a rush to make the playoffs before his ELC is up. Big contracts are added, etc.....but Toronto just doesn't have the championship level D to get it done and they burned their assets trying to be cup champs fast with McDavid. Suddenly their cap locked when McDavid is a RFA. He gets offersheeted so big by better managed team who has the cap space.

Toronto gets 4x 25th-30th place 1st round draft picks and for McDavid are in cap jail due to their dumb-assness.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Hrmmm, I've been thinking about this. Now, I'm assuming they will clear out some cap space at the deadline, but.....they won't be able to move the bad contracts until after regular season.

Now, the leafs appear to finally be on the right course. They have realized that their core, as is, isn't good enough to win. They need to raze and rebuild. With good drafting and smart management, this is the way to go.

Now, imagine they win the lotto and get McDavid.

You think that plan suddenly changes. Of course it does. No way they are trading Kessel. No one will offer them what they claim is "fair value" for Phaneuf.

In fact, the whole "Rebuild plan" is probably scratched.

McDavid could actually be the worst thing that ever happened to the leafs. Imagine they change coaches and make the playoffs next year with McDavid. Suddenly its a rush to make the playoffs before his ELC is up. Big contracts are added, etc.....but Toronto just doesn't have the championship level D to get it done and they burned their assets trying to be cup champs fast with McDavid. Suddenly their cap locked when McDavid is a RFA. He gets offersheeted so big by better managed team who has the cap space.

Toronto gets 4x 25th-30th place 1st round draft picks and for McDavid are in cap jail due to their dumb-assness.

I'll have some of this, please, but with, say, Strome instead of McDavid. Could still make them call off the rebuild, but be more of a lock for perennial mediocrity.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'd rather he go to Ottawa out of the teams in our division. The Toronto media doesn't deserve that.

ZeroPT*

McDavid in Ottawa would be great. Re-ignite the rivalry? Hell yeah. I'd like McEichel to go in the east. Columbus would be ideal. Ottawa would be sweet.

If Carolina gets one I'll be irate. If Toronto gets one I'm moving.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Although the games would be amazing, I could never be happy if they won the lottery and we had to watch McDavid come into our building and prove why he was #1 overall. That and the sheer number of obnoxious Leafs fans that wouldn't shut up about it.

I'm also in the Ottawa camp. I definitely don't hate them like the Leafs (fans), and it would still be a great divisional rivalry.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No but if you believe in jinxes then this thread is a jinx x 1000 :laugh:

I was with my buddy last night and he is a leaf fan and sportsnet has been doing the draft lottery simulator everyday. Well it's landed on Toronto like 5 out of 6 times and now Toronto media is calling it destiny. He's already talking about it like how Stamko's will just up and leave Tampa because he wants to play in Toronto :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad