Do you want the Wings to make the playoffs?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'd say we have a decent chance against Florida despite some of our regular season struggles against them.

And if Mrazek regains his early season form I'd say we match up well against Tampa. Maybe 50/50. 40/60 against us at worse. Especially if they slow down before the playoffs.

Lots of changeover in Boston. Krejci/Bergeron is rough. Still I could see it going to 7 and a tossup because they aren't as good as they were a couple years ago. Although if we can't score I don't like this matchup.

I think that there is no way we match up well against Tampa. Detroit can't score. Mrazek would have to have multiple shutouts for Detroit to even have a chance. And I think this is true for almost every team that Detroit could face, given the scoring woes Detroit would need a near perfect performance from their goalie.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
I think that there is no way we match up well against Tampa. Detroit can't score. Mrazek would have to have multiple shutouts for Detroit to even have a chance. And I think this is true for almost every team that Detroit could face, given the scoring woes Detroit would need a near perfect performance from their goalie.

Tampa is almost identical to the team they were last season. Mrazek was stellar for sure, but Johnson, Kucherov, and Palat haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire in the same way as last year. That line pretty much beat us single handedly.

Our scoring woes are definitely the limiting factor in how far we can go. That's true against any team. It's especially concerning because we've had these troubles all season. I'm just hopeful they'll heat up at the right time.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Tampa is almost identical to the team they were last season. Mrazek was stellar for sure, but Johnson, Kucherov, and Palat haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire in the same way as last year. That line pretty much beat us single handedly.

Our scoring woes are definitely the limiting factor in how far we can go. That's true against any team. It's especially concerning because we've had these troubles all season. I'm just hopeful they'll heat up at the right time.

They are the same team, but Kronwall is in free fall, the PP isn't far behind him. I don't trust this team in tight games.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
They are the same team, but Kronwall is in free fall, the PP isn't far behind him. I don't trust this team in tight games.

Kronwall's regression is the biggest surprise of the season for me. The PP is unfortunate, but our PP was mediocre before last year. Babs snagging Hiller was the real dagger.

I think we do fairly well when we can score first. We struggle when we battle back and give up a goal shortly after. They definirely need confidence, but familiarity with Tampa and bad blood leftover from last year would make it interesting I think.

Stamkos is a wildcard though.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Recently, the Wings have barely been able to muster enough offensive production and defensive coverage to go toe-to-toe with a bottom five team. Goaltending alone will not get us past the first round, so I would be inclined to say that regardless of which playoff team we are matched up against, we are likely to get steamrolled. I feel that the Wings have amassed enough continuous playoff appearances that we, as fans, should be willing to be patient for a few years of re-stocking the cupboards. The notion of a quick re-tooling has, at least so far, proven to be very difficult. It speaks volumes to the people in charge of the organization that the Wings have been able to at least get into the playoffs for 24 years, but I would much rather see a smooth, quality product than a team that has to grind out 1 goal games and fight constantly against defensive breakdowns.

I would prefer that the Wings fumble the last remaining games of the season and possibly get a lottery pick (I am fully expecting the Oilers to win the primary lotto, yet again, but perhaps we could get one of the second or third picks by luck), although realistically the Wings would not lose enough games to warrant a lottery pick, yet wouldn't play well enough to get past the first round. 2016, or perhaps even 2017 could very well be lottery pick years for the Wings if Zetterberg and Datsyuk's production continues to decline and the young guns can't bridge the gap. I could see the brothers Svechnikov playing together in Detroit, but drafting and developing an elite defenseman or two would be of greater benefit to the Wings, so its a shame that we will likely miss out on someone like Chychrun.

Perhaps either Fabbro or McAvoy would be a possibility? I get the feeling there will unexpected gems found both within and outside of the first round selections of this year's draft --- time to take a defenseman with every selection this year!

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Teams can get hot at the end of the year and make runs in the playoffs.

It would be great to move up in the lottery, I just think the odds are too poor.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I can't imagine the Wings beating any potential matchup in the playoffs, but I have more faith in them getting lucky than Holland improving this team or changing his thinking if the Wings miss. The Wings gain nothing from missing the playoffs, I'd rather see some more Wings hockey.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
They had scored 200 goals at this point last year and were +17. They had 87 points vs the 79 they have now. They had a functional PP. They were not in the same position. I don't think even if they make the playoffs they will be competitive.

When have since Lidstrom retired? Its simple really since he went and we skunked on Suter we have been a pretender. PP means jack **** come playoff time when the refs swallow there whistles unless you are Crosby.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
I'd only want them to miss the playoffs as a precipice of change. If Holland doesn't use this as a wake up call to be more aggressive, then I'd rather just make the playoffs and see how it goes.

I agree with the premise but the problem ultimately is the man in charge simply does not have the ability to make this team better via trade or free agency. He fails at it seemingly at every turn. At least we have a goaltender that has the ability to steal a couple series and who knows.....

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I agree with the premise but the problem ultimately is the man in charge simply does not have the ability to make this team better via trade or free agency. He fails at it seemingly at every turn. At least we have a goaltender that has the ability to steal a couple series and who knows.....

I like Mrazek a lot but he has yet to steal a series. he was close last year but he didn't steal the series. I don't think we can claim that he can steal the series till he actually does it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I like Mrazek a lot but he has yet to steal a series. he was close last year but he didn't steal the series. I don't think we can claim that he can steal the series till he actually does it.

Yea the 1 series he was in he didn't steal..... Came real close though. 2 shutouts against last year's top offense - up 3-1 before the typical wings meltdown.

Petr can steal a series. It's science.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
You'd rather be in the playoffs even if you don't like your chances of winning a title. It beats missing the playoffs by a few points and you're left thinking "what if". And don't even start with tanking because they're closer to contending than to being a lottery team.

Considering Malkin is out, I think the odds are pretty good the Flyers could jump the Pens but not jump the Wings.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
And don't even start with tanking because they're closer to contending than being a lottery team

Not really. No team will ever be a cup contender with a 37 and a 35 year old as their core. If we were a bubble team built around some really young players who were still trying to figure out their game, then sure we'd be closer to contending then tanking. But that is not the case.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I can't imagine the Wings beating any potential matchup in the playoffs, but I have more faith in them getting lucky than Holland improving this team or changing his thinking if the Wings miss. The Wings gain nothing from missing the playoffs, I'd rather see some more Wings hockey.

Well said. That's exactly how I feel.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
No. We're going to get nowhere by doing it. We have nothing to gain by making the playoffs.

Who is "we"? Ilitch will gain revenue $$ by keeping his "playoff streak" alive with marketing tactics and playoffs appearances. You don't think "we" benefit from that?

Ilitch spends his money on the team; no internal cap. When he stops making money he very well could just put an internal cap in place. I mean why not... if the team isn't paying for itself, so what's the point in wasting money, right? At the end of the day, it's a business. Mr. I isn't a billionaire because he's stupid.

I'm always curious why people say "we" like it is their millions being spent? How you might spend your millions might be how you quickly bankrupt yourself. Mike Ilitch isn't going bankrupt anytime soon... why? Because he knows how to keep his revenue streams running and good business management.

In addition that "what else we have to lose".

• winning culture
  • brain trust
  • ability to attract UFA
  • possibly spending if Ilitch wants to impose an internal cap

All that for a 14th pick? Really doesn't seem worth it, does it? And wouldn't you agree playoff experience for the young guns would be invaluable? Not to mention watching hockey is fun...

I can't get onboard for wishing/hoping to lose. I'm just can't accept a loser mentality. I just can't. I'm not built that way.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Who is "we"? Ilitch will gain revenue $$ by keeping his "playoff streak" alive with marketing tactics and playoffs appearances. You don't think "we" benefit from that?

Ilitch spends his money on the team; no internal cap. When he stops making money he very well could just put an internal cap in place. I mean why not... if the team isn't paying for itself, so what's the point in wasting money, right? At the end of the day, it's a business. Mr. I isn't a billionaire because he's stupid.

I'm always curious why people say "we" like it is their millions being spent? How you might spend your millions might be how you quickly bankrupt yourself. Mike Ilitch isn't going bankrupt anytime soon... why? Because he knows how to keep his revenue streams running and good business management.

• winning culture
  • brain trust
  • ability to attract UFA

All that for a 14th pick? Really doesn't seem worth it, does it? And wouldn't you agree playoff experience for the young guns would be invaluable? Not to mention watching hockey is fun...

I can't get onboard for wishing/hoping to lose. I'm just can't accept a loser mentality. I just can't. I'm not built that way.

I agree. And many of the reasons you listed are also why I wouldn't trade D or Z for assets in a full rebuild scenario. Having those guys as a living/playing link to the Lidstrom/Yzerman days, and being themselves legendary members of the Wings family, you end up losing your soul as an org if you start taking the mentality favoured by some here.

An org that would willingly miss the playoffs for a better pick has lost direction, perspective, and leadership. Witness the Edmonton Oilers to see the results. Some of the Wings' greatest strengths as an organization has been their dedication to a high standard of execution in just about every area, be it scouting, development, and of course on ice play. Now obviously the loss of Lidstrom left a pretty big void, and one that Holland has had a hard time compensating for, but here we are. Regardless, I can't imagine why anyone would consider this team anywhere near 'blow it up' territory. We have aces in the hole in Larkin and Mrazek, some quality young guns in DeKeyser, Nyquist, and Tatar (even though the latter two have been having something of an identity crisis this season), and many promising quality up and comers in Athanasiou, Mantha, Svechnikov, Saarijarvi, and Russo. And you never know, Pulkkinen, Jurco, Sheahan, Ouellet, Sproul, etc. may also hit another gear at some point. If this team had a blue chip guy on D, the Wings would have the foundation to build a true contender, IMO.

A 14th pick will do us no better than the 15th at this point so try the best they can to make it and see what happens.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

• winning culture
  • brain trust
  • ability to attract UFA

If holland can get a 1st pair dman. I don't see the reason to. Until that happens illitch could make more money by going deep in the playoffs with good players

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

• winning culture
  • brain trust
  • ability to attract UFA

Let me deconstruct this for you:

Winning culture:
16/30 teams make the playoffs, some with records below .500. These teams get bounced early. This is qualifying, not winning. It's the professional sports equivalent of giving everyone a trophy. A winning culture is based around a cup or bust mentality, not a '8th seed and first round stomping' mentality.

Brain trust:
That ship is sailing. Started with Bowman and has continued through to Babcock.

Ability to attract UFA:
Joking, right? Detroit has missed out on a major signing almost every year since the 2008 off season. The best they can show for their efforts is a Green who is a shadow of his former self.

Possibility of an internal cap:
Illitch doesn't seem to care too much about money at this point, can't take money where he's going. Also if he were to put an internal cap on this team it would be to stop Holland from handing out windfalls to role players, not because the team stopped making the playoffs. The record pretty much debunks the idea of an internal cap.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Yeah we don't have a winning culture anymore. Haven't had one since Lidstrom retired imo. Last year after we got eliminated from the playoffs one of our players (I forget who) said that nobody in the locker room really expected to beat Tampa.

There is not a winning culture in Detroit anymore. Our players expect to limp into the playoffs and lose

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Detroit's record since Lidstrom retired has been 131-140. 2012-2013 season to 2015-2016.

From 09-10 to 11-12, Detroit's worst season was six games above .500. Other two seasons had them go 12 and 14 games over .500.

Winning cultures can only be created with elite talent, and no amount of parity is going to change that.

Detroit is just really good at making sure that when they do lose, it's during OT or the SO.

The 2015-2016 Wings are not capable of going on any run if they do make the playoffs.

Teams that are in the bottom third in goals scored, PP, PK and have a blue line that is average at best on a good night don't go onto have deep playoff runs.

With that said, i would rather see them make the playoffs then miss by 1-2 points. Wings need lottery picks in order to start winning again. One 14th pick isn't gonna cut it.

However if i knew that Holland would be fired or would retire if the Wings missed the playoffs this year, i would take up every religion and pray to every God that the Wings missed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad