Do you want the Wings to make the playoffs?

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
First off, not sure if this deserves its own thread and if it doesn't mods feel free to move the topic as necessary.

Simple question, Do you want the Wings to make the playoffs and why?

For me I thought I would be OK if they missed however the more I thought about it I want them to make the playoffs for a few reasons:

1) I love playoff hockey and as cliché as it sounds anything can happen. E.g. Lots of people were pessimistic heading into last years playoffs and IIRC the 2013 playoffs and they were pretty darn close to the 2nd round and 3rd round respectively in those years.

2) The draft position won't be much better if they miss because if they miss it'll only be by a few spots. IMO that 2-3 spots moved up isn't worth 4-7+ games of the playoffs.

3) People justify wanting to miss the playoffs because it will put pressure on Kenny to improve the team. My fear is that it will pressure him into making short sighted moves that will hurt the team in the long term. It could lead him to look at real band-aid fixes to ensure they don't miss again next season.
If they miss the playoffs I would not at all be surprised to see him sign one or two older FAs and maybe make a prospect for older vet type trade (à la the Legwand and Cole trades)

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
As it won't bring us that much to miss the playoffs by a few inches, I'd like to see them making it and give it a try.
Not really optimistic about facing opponents like Caps or Bruins. But not seeing us having no chance vs. most of the other probable ones.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'd only want them to miss the playoffs as a precipice of change. If Holland doesn't use this as a wake up call to be more aggressive, then I'd rather just make the playoffs and see how it goes.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
First off, not sure if this deserves its own thread and if it doesn't mods feel free to move the topic as necessary.

Simple question, Do you want the Wings to make the playoffs and why?

For me I thought I would be OK if they missed however the more I thought about it I want them to make the playoffs for a few reasons:

1) I love playoff hockey and as cliché as it sounds anything can happen. E.g. Lots of people were pessimistic heading into last years playoffs and IIRC the 2013 playoffs and they were pretty darn close to the 2nd round and 3rd round respectively in those years.

2) The draft position won't be much better if they miss because if they miss it'll only be by a few spots. IMO that 2-3 spots moved up isn't worth 4-7+ games of the playoffs.

3) People justify wanting to miss the playoffs because it will put pressure on Kenny to improve the team. My fear is that it will pressure him into making short sighted moves that will hurt the team in the long term. It could lead him to look at real band-aid fixes to ensure they don't miss again next season.
If they miss the playoffs I would not at all be surprised to see him sign one or two older FAs and maybe make a prospect for older vet type trade (à la the Legwand and Cole trades)

Cliche and demonstrably wrong. 11% of teams ranked 5-8 have ever won a cup since the 16 team system has been instated. Of those a majority of them have been the LA Kings.

As for the draft, a few positions can make a huge difference in a less than stellar draft that this year is shaping up to be.

Basically, I don't really care if they make it. They just don't have what it takes to be a contender, so 4 extra losses aren't going to make me happy.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'd rather be in the playoffs. The chances of us winning the lottery are so slim that it's not worth missing to draft two or three spots higher.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yes.

Chanches to get a decent player at ~15th overall is almost as big as winning the lottery.

Some great D prospects are gonna fall on that pick.

I almost feel we are "semi-tanking" (based on Blashill's latest insane player usage) for that last playoff spot to guarantee BOTH. A playoff spot and a highest possible draft position, if we don't reach the conference final.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Yes I want them to make the playoffs. To wish for anything else is bordering on sacrilege. The playoff streak means somehing to the owners, the managers, the players, the fans, and it's legacy has bred a culture of success. With that success comes a certain degree of entitlement--- but tanking for better picks is the absolute opposite of the mindset the team has been trying to cultivate. Success breeds success.

The thought of high draft picks can be tempting, but it's far from a guarantee anything other than what we've been seeing for years. Not to mention the lack of success makes everything more difficult, free agents will require more overpayment and might not even sign then if we aren't a contender. Players may add us to their no-trade lists. Point being failure has consequences other than 'high draft picks!"

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'll be that guy: not really. I'm not very happy with the team's style of play* right now, so I hope losing could bring about change sooner. Because I'm finding the slow/defensive style of play boring, playoff games (and playoff games are usually even more defensive) just don't sound very appealing. I'd rather the Wings retool, make some moves, and return with a more offensive style of play. If the team needs higher draft picks to do that, so be it. But overall, I think Holland and friends need a kick in the ass to change things, and missing the playoffs could provide that.

*granted, it might just be that this is what NHL hockey is like now: interference, ignored/missed calls, tons of blocked shots, and only a small handful of goals per game. If that's the case, maybe I'm just losing interest in the league altogether.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I'd only want them to miss the playoffs as a precipice of change. If Holland doesn't use this as a wake up call to be more aggressive, then I'd rather just make the playoffs and see how it goes.

And I'm pretty convinced that missing by a few inches won't be such a "wake up call". Not at all.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia

Pretty much this. Though unfortunately, I suspect just missing out by a point or 3 probably wont mean he would induce that change so we may as well just make it and cross our fingers that we have some people step up to superstar status for the finals.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It does more than border. I can't imagine watching my favorite team in the world and hoping they don't win.

If they were a contender I'd get this, but they are first round fodder. I'd rather them miss and actually retool than to make it and get bounced in the first round and see the same thing next season. It gets really old watching this team flounder in the playoffs. I want the playoffs to be a time of excitement not the delayed inevitable.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I want them to make the playoffs, but i also don't care if they end up missing.

I'll turn my brain off if they do make the playoffs, but i no longer get emotional (angry/upset) when they lose in the playoffs. They are doing what they are built to do.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Frankly, it is embarrassing that there are two no votes.

MOD Don't you think that Edmonton would trade three of their four #1 OAs (They wouldn't give up McDavid even in a hypothetical) for a team good enough to make the playoffs?

And really, I will never understand this idea that the Red Wings need a "wake up call". Had Zach Parise not hit the FA market in 2012, the Wings would be a contender here and now, because Suter would be our #1D.

The Wings have been operating a long game since they fanned on Suter... and now it looks like they've got talent that could fill up the top two lines when Dats and Z hang them up. And if they had a top pairing D, the terrible defense would all of a sudden look much much better.

How are so many people so damn pessimistic about this team?

Last edited by a moderator:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I'm on the fence. I love them to make playoffs if they have a chance to advance but honestly this year has been really disappointing to me in many ways. Some guys who needed to step up haven't and I really feel a first round exit again is not any better than missing

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yes I want them to make the playoffs. Just missing the playoffs is the worst of all possible situations. You are neither fish nor foul. It does not improve the quality of the player they will have available to pick from at the draft. The player selected at 14 is closer in talent to the kid picked at 30 than he is to Mathews and the Finns.

Mark my words, it will be business as usual with Ken Holland until the big 3 retire. Missing the playoffs will not be the catalyst for change that everyone is hoping for.

Lastly, be careful of what you wish for in life. Something tells me that the Oilers weren't expecting to spend 10 years at the bottom of the league when they missed in 2007.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'll be that guy: not really. I'm not very happy with the team's style of play* right now, so I hope losing could bring about change sooner. Because I'm finding the slow/defensive style of play boring, playoff games (and playoff games are usually even more defensive) just don't sound very appealing.

I highly suspect salary cap coming down is affecting in our style of play.

Team will score less (but wins games enough) --> cheaper contract extensions --> more space with regressing cap for becoming season(s).

This is also the reason, why our big paid contracts are now logging huge (somebody could say, not anyhow reasonable) ice time.

You can sacrifice regular season games for this kind of ****, still hit the playoffs and it doesn't matter who you play against. It's so even field in these parity days.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It does more than border. I can't imagine watching my favorite team in the world and hoping they don't win.
It's not so much that I don't want them to win. It's that I don't think they'll win when I watch them, and I'm becoming at peace with that. The more I watch it happen, the more I can see the value in them missing the playoffs. I think they clearly need a wakeup call. Management, the player group, the coaches. Everybody.

I think if they actually convincingly won games, I would have a different attitude. (and, no, squeaking in with OT points doesn't impress me much.)

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Of course.

This team doesn't look like it can make it past the first round. BUT this team has the ability to click at the right time and make a deep run. Doubtful - but possible.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Frankly, it is embarrassing that there are two no votes.

Don't you think that Edmonton would trade three of their four #1 OAs (They wouldn't give up McDavid even in a hypothetical) for a team good enough to make the playoffs?

And really, I will never understand this idea that the Red Wings need a "wake up call". Had Zach Parise not hit the FA market in 2012, the Wings would be a contender here and now, because Suter would be our #1D.

The Wings have been operating a long game since they fanned on Suter... and now it looks like they've got talent that could fill up the top two lines when Dats and Z hang them up. And if they had a top pairing D, the terrible defense would all of a sudden look much much better.

How are so many people so damn pessimistic about this team?

We don't live in a what if world, we live in the real world. In the real world there is no plan, no long game. Detroit is no closer to having a #1 D-man today than they were the day after Lids retired. Detroit is also about to lose not one but two top 6 centers, and are extremely poor on center depth. And what has Holland done? He's traded away prospect and picks over the last seasons not to improve future teams but to keep the streak on life support.

As for Edmonton, they are a case of extreme mismanagement. They have the assets to address their needs, but Chiarelli and C-Tav have refused to move their forward depth for defensive depth they need to have a more complete team.

So I was one of the two who voted that I'd like to see them miss the playoffs. Why? Because the playoffs in the NHL isn't where anything can happen, but top teams dominate. To actually contend Detroit's leadership need to get over the streak and do what it takes to ice a team that can contend. And that means taking risks, that means moving players from a place of strength (Forward, especially winger depth) to fill holes. And it means that players that have one good season need to stop getting life time contracts.

Until there is a wake up call this team will go down the road the Flames and others have traveled, one of irrelevance. And I for one am tired of it.

Zetterburgers

Apr 2, 2013
Toronto, ON
Making the playoffs this year gives guys like Larkin and AA the chance to experience and learn what playoff hockey is all about from champions like Datsyuk and Zetterberg while they are still around. So I'm all for extra experience for the young guys, even if it's just 4-5 games.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Making the playoffs this year gives guys like Larkin and AA the chance to experience and learn what playoff hockey is all about from champions like Datsyuk and Zetterberg while they are still around. So I'm all for extra experience for the young guys, even if it's just 4-5 games.

4-5 games doesn't give you experience in the playoffs. Tatar and Nyquist should be playoff beasts if this were true.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Missing the playoffs by 1 or 2 spots isn't going to be a "wake up call"

We'll draft 1-2 positions sooner, whoopee! (unless they get lucky beyond belief)

The Kings - and to a lesser extent Dallas - missed the playoffs last year too. If you think drafting 14 and missing the playoffs by a handful of points is going to make KH "wake up", idk what to tell you.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
What kind of jackass outwardly wishes for his team to miss the playoffs

MOD

Simple matter of fact is every DRW fan wants us to not only make the play-offs, but to be relevant in them. Simple showing up in a system designed to give more than 50% of the league a spot in the finals means absolutely nothing.

Our glorious GM and Coach have decided to hand-cuff the team with seriously bad contracts, and our coach has run our aging stars into the ground.

There needs to be change and our coach/GM are not seeing the problems they are causing. If the catalyst for that is missing the play-offs then why shouldnt people want our team to become better? The only reason I voted yes is because I dont think just missing out will change their philosophy. If I thought it would, I would emphatically vote no and hope we miss the playoffs.

Because I want our team to be relevant and successful. I certainly do not care about just making up numbers and to be honest, we have probably the lowest chances in any of the potentially finals bound teams to lift the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad