Do you want the Leafs to break our 54 year drought?

Do you want the Leafs to break our 54 year drought?

• Total voters

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
even if the leafs win the cup there will still be a few teams that will go over the 54 year drought count...the st' loius blues have never won the cup since starting play in 1967 and they realistically will not for the next 10 years for sure, then the buffalo sabres and Vancouver canucks have never won since starting play in 1970, they will easily not win a cup anytime soon, maybe buffalo but definitely not Vancouver...heck even the ny islanders are getting close to the 54 year mark lol

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
even if the leafs win the cup there will still be a few teams that will go over the 54 year drought count...the st' loius blues have never won the cup since starting play in 1967 and they realistically will not for the next 10 years for sure, then the buffalo sabres and Vancouver canucks have never won since starting play in 1970, they will easily not win a cup anytime soon, maybe buffalo but definitely not Vancouver...heck even the ny islanders are getting close to the 54 year mark lol

The Québeclanders can win it before Toronto.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Just because Toronto signed a big name UFA doesn't make them Cup contenders. Talk to me after they win the President's Trophy and fix their D and G.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
The Toronto Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup in 51 years, 52 if they fail this season. Do you want them to exceed our 54 year drought? I'm hoping they do, not because I have anything against the Leafs in particular, but just because I'm sick of other fans using the 54 year drought as a knock against our team. "Oh, well your team had the longest Cup drought in history!" well now they won't be able to say that anymore if the Leafs exceed the Rangers drought. Has anyone else thought much about this, or is it just me?
I believe that the futility of an organization is more in the consistency of making the playoffs and being a competitive team rather than Cups won (some franchises haven't won in a long time). There are other franchises that won a lot a long time go (Habs, Isles, Leafs) but could be considered futile in the past 25 years. It depends on if the only criteria you look at is Championships. If Washington didn't win this year but had been a top team for years are they futile?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I believe that the futility of an organization is more in the consistency of making the playoffs and being a competitive team rather than Cups won (some franchises haven't won in a long time). There are other franchises that won a lot a long time go (Habs, Isles, Leafs) but could be considered futile in the past 25 years. It depends on if the only criteria you look at is Championships. If Washington didn't win this year but had been a top team for years are they futile?

Yes.

Had Washington not one the cup and kept being a second round at best washout , the Ovechkin era Capitals would have been viewed as a bit of a letdown aside watching him score.

Also, had the Capitals washed out at best in the second round again, they would still be viewed as the poorly managed team that has way more success in the regular season than in playoffs.

In other words, every time they washed out in the second round, people would point how they always wash out in the second round.

On a related note, it’s not just about cups. It’s about cups and over all competitiveness of a franchise during different eras with with entirely different rosters.

That’s why when taken into context , I DO NOT consider the Rangers “worthless” as our number one fan stated when comparing the Rangers until the effects of the “territorial drafts” started to wane in the early 80s.

From then on, I do knock the franchise for trying to buy cups.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
I don’t hear people saying that we had the longest drought, now they say 1 Cup in 75 years so Toronto winning or losing isn’t going to change that. Rooting for Tampa so we get that 1sr rounder this year but wouldn’t mind Toronto winning at all. Seeing Tavares with the Cup would stick it straight up the Isles a**es. If we are going to rebuild, might as well have some fun

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad