Do you want the Leafs to break our 54 year drought?

Do you want the Leafs to break our 54 year drought?

• Total voters

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
The Toronto Maple Leafs have not won a Stanley Cup in 51 years, 52 if they fail this season. Do you want them to exceed our 54 year drought? I'm hoping they do, not because I have anything against the Leafs in particular, but just because I'm sick of other fans using the 54 year drought as a knock against our team. "Oh, well your team had the longest Cup drought in history!" well now they won't be able to say that anymore if the Leafs exceed the Rangers drought. Has anyone else thought much about this, or is it just me?

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Personally I've only heard the 54 year thing a handful of times since after we won in '94, so it doesn't really bother me. That said, I moved to Nashville six years ago - not exactly having to beat back the Devils and Isles fans with a stick down here, and I rarely visit the main boards, so...

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Have absolutely zero animosity for Toronto - or any Canadian team, Montreal included. These sites are the heart of hockey, I wish them nothing but the best. In any playoff series, I'm generally rooting for the Canadian club to advance.

I hold a disdain for the New Jersey Devils, and most anything related to the state of New Jersey. There are exceptions, of course. I also greatly dislike the Philadelphia Flyers; again there is a south Jersey connection there that makes the two cousins of each other. Similar sentiment for the Crosby Penguins.

Dislike the Nassau Jericho Country Islanders, but not with the same vitriol.

Shame on me for having a weak spot for Long Island girls, but that's an entirely different conversation.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Don’t care one way or another about any team’s success or failure other than NYR.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No, I don't really care. History is history. Toronto can go 80 years without a Cup, it doesn't change our run of futility. The 54 years is what it is, nothing makes it go away, and becoming "the second-most futile team" doesn't exactly make me feel great.

I also have a ton of good friends that are from Ontario and big Leafs fans. I know some are obnoxious, but that's true for all fan bases, it's just that the Leafs have more fans than most. I happen to believe it's good for the League to have successful Canadian teams, so outside Montreal, I typically will root for whichever teams make it from Canada.

So, to summarize, I don't care. If they did, it changes nothing about us. And Canadian teams winning is good.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I don't really care about the Laughs. I know my brother loves to see the Canadian cup drought continue so there's at least one other person in the "no" camp. If they win, whatever. They just better not win against the Rangers!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like Toronto. I really do.......but I might like Toronto less if the Leafs won the Cup. Personally though I don't want any team other than the Rangers to win the Cup. There might be teams I might hate more and really really don't want them to win but there's not another team that I could actively root for to win it.....to me they can all go f*** themselves.......and I don't care about Toronto's 50 some years of Cuplessness.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Lets say the Leafs win in 2022 which would break the record for longest cup drought, does it really matter? It doesn't erase the fact this team didn't win a cup between 1941 and 1993

Reactions: All Might

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
No. I don't want other people to suffer so we can feel better about our franchise being worthless.

54 year drought or not, the Leafs are the worst franchise. Not only have they not won a cup since the O6 days (which hardly count, the league was f***in rigged back then in favor of Montreal and Toronto, and to a lesser extent Detroit), they havent even sniffed a SC finals appearance, which is f***ing pathetic. Even during the Rangers curse drought, they at least reached the finals a few times, and were always at least a playoff team.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad