Do you want Ranger to return next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
He had a horrible December 5 to January 4 stretch where he was a -11 with 2 points but from January 7th on he was a +8 with 6 points while the club was under .500. He could have played better but I am not sure how much more they can expect out of a third pairing guy. He may well have another gear after being away from the show for four years and then being dropped into the Randy system.

I want him on the club until someone takes the job from him. I think that can only happen side by side with Granberg or Percy where they can prove they are an actual improvement. Handing a job to a young guy like Rielly did not translate into any additional wins although it was probably good for his development. They need to select a lineup that can win today rather than needlessly burning a year of a kids ELC and I would be very happy if no Marlie D men were invited up. Someone mentioned Holzer as a #7 guy and that would be the enough for me since another year in the AHL isn't likely to be a development one for him.

I agree with all of this. Though I probably have a lower barrier to proof than you do.

Morgan Rielly did not belong on the Toronto Maple Leafs last year. He was a trainwreck defensively. John-Michael Liles was a much, much better defenceman both offensively and defensively, and he should never have been traded to make room for Mo Riles if our objective was to win games. All while Rielly had the weakest competition of any defenseman, and by far the least defensive zone starts.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree with all of this. Though I probably have a lower barrier to proof than you do.

Morgan Rielly did not belong on the Toronto Maple Leafs last year. He was a trainwreck defensively. John-Michael Liles was a much, much better defenceman both offensively and defensively, and he should never have been traded to make room for Mo Riles if our objective was to win games. All while Rielly had the weakest competition of any defenseman, and by far the least defensive zone starts.

It was all about Mo Riles getting experience last year to have a greater impact now and down the road. You always have to accept the consequences that there will be struggles and mistakes during this process.

If one always judged a young kid to an aging vet with 100's of games experience that vet would always win.

Leafs actions last year will start paying off this year otherwise if this was Rielly rookie season then this season would have been similar to last.

That is the strategy behind either re-signing Ranger or giving a young Marlie like Granberg his spot and letting him develop.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i think ranger just beats to the march of his own drum. he wanted to be a Leaf. he's not a leaf - but he's ready to play hockey again, but maybe he doens't want to be in the NHL?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I find it odd that he would ONLY play for Toronto in the NHL but will go to Switzerland? This guy confuses me.

Hostage exchange program.

Leafs brought over two Euros to the NHL in Komarov and Kontiola and upset the equilibrium of balance so now some NA players needed to be sent back to Europe to help balance the scales again.

Ranger volunteered to be one of those players.

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad