Do you want Ennis back?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If Ennis wants to stay, he'll take another modest contract. If he wants to cash in, and get a significant raise, he's gone.

Petan was acquired as his replacement for next season IMHO.

Dubas has a cap crunch to deal with now!

Reactions: Melo Meds

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
He's earning his retirement contract right now. Good for him. I hope he keeps it up from now until deep into the playoffs.

Good luck to him next season. On a different team.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think he's back next year on a similar 1 year contract. He doesn't seem the type to be about the money. I think he'll probably want to come back to the very good situation he found himself in. Not many 4th line players get regular powerplay time.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Do you want Ennis back?
No.

He will be gone the way of Levio, and before that P.A. Parenteau.

Unless he agrees to a dirty cheap deal and wants to play on the 4th line, hard to see him coming back.

Hard to seeing Nylander coming back either, if Marner keeps on scoring the way he is. Ya can't afford both Nylander and Marner, get rid of the player who is not as good.

Reactions: hullsy47

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
No.

He will be gone the way of Levio, and before that P.A. Parenteau.

Unless he agrees to a dirty cheap deal and wants to play on the 4th line, hard to see him coming back.

Hard to seeing Nylander coming back either, if Marner keeps on scoring the way he is. Ya can't afford both Nylander and Marner, get rid of the player who is not as good.
Ennis and Johnson at 2 .5 a peice
trade willie

Reactions: Polaris1010

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Guy won the lottery last night. BANK on that. Good for him. Make Dubas and Toronto as the place where dreams can be had. He's gone. And enjoy every shift he plays out there. He is fun to watch.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ennis back? It doesn't matter. Ennis is a 4th liner on this team, which is easily replaceable given the role and sub 10 minutes of ice time. I would not sign Ennis for anything longer than 1 year @ 675k , as a depth guy.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
If players were cars, the garage already has Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Pagani's, etc. Ennis is like a Honda Civic Type-R where Connor Brown is a truck. One is definitely more flashy, but which is more useful could depend on the team. Brown has been asked to slow down and drive safe and that's lead him to slowly plodding along into being a top 50 forward in the NHL for +/-. Ennis will easily be more valuable to a team needing speed. Brown is everything you could want for in a 6th round pick.
Except 6th round picks who do nothing but PK can't be making 2.1m on cap crunch teams. If Brown were on the 4th line making less than 1m, he'd still be a liability (see Lindholm, Par). Unfortunately he's anchored (and solidly, I'm afraid) in our top 9 and contributes nothing offensively. That means he's got to go. Its simple economics.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Yes, I 'd love to have him back. Great depth scoring, best the Leafs have had in years. A 4th liner on a 25 goal pace? Heck yeah! However, there's no way that we get him back for $650,000 again, he'll definitely get 7 digits with some other team that needs him in a 3rd line + 2nd PP winger role. With the Leafs' cap situation, can't afford that. Better to graduate a guy like Bracco, give space for a guy like Petan to develop, or pick up on a new reclamation project.

Probably not going to find another 4th liner of his quality, but that's alright, it won't make or break the team.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The guy is having a decent few games but good year but I doubt teams will be lining up to sign him.
He seems to be close with Matthews and a few of the guys, so I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back at a low contract. He's still being paid by the Wild, so if the Leafs can get him for 1 year $1 million or something I'm all for having him back.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
For wingers that can play either 3rd or 4th line next year we have these players in the system (exclude WN, KK, AJ, ZH, MM)
Marleau, Moore, Petan, Marchment, Bracco, Brown (probably gone), Engvall.
Ennis will want (and deserve) closer to 2 million on a contract next year and I hope he gets it but we won't be able to afford it. We can always pick up other cheap UFA depth but even a line of Petan-Gauthier-Bracco seems more than competent to me. Moore replacing Brown in the lineup too

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
At less than a mil, sure.

Anything more and I think he becomes a luxury we can't afford.

I think Ennis has played to a level worth more than that.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
he played his way out of here next year, wish him the best when he leaves

as long as Brown is on the team, we are probably going for league minimum bottom liners because of cap

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I would want him at the same $ as he's on now, but he will get better offers elsewhere.

The good news is that other players in the same position as Ennis was this past off-season might see the opportunity he got here, and be more willing to sign with us on the cheap in a similar deal.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Ennis and Johnson at 2 .5 a peice
trade willie

Hell no! That's how you turn a contender to a bubble team. You thank Ennis for his work and you send him on his way and find the new Ennis for 2019-2020. Paying forth liners 2.5 million is what kills your cap not over paying stars.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. The guy is having a decent few games but good year but I doubt teams will be lining up to sign him.
He seems to be close with Matthews and a few of the guys, so I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back at a low contract. He's still being paid by the Wild, so if the Leafs can get him for 1 year $1 million or something I'm all for having him back.
I don't know. With the way the NHL is moving, lots of teams are going to be looking for a good depth scorer. Ennis has a recognizable name, former 1st round pick, which makes him attractive in the market. History of 20 goal seasons, about to have another one where's he's at least pacing for 20 goals (probably end up with about 15), most he has scored since 2014-15. Not to mention it seems he has been undergoing some great medical rehab in Toronto, so teams might be more interested. Only 30 years old...another team could definitely bite, and I'm sure Dubas will be looking to save as much cap as he can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad