Do you want Ennis back?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I thank him for his service, and move on.

Remember Mason Raymond? He had a 45 point season in 2013-14, leafs signed him for a million, then let him walk. He signed a 3 year, 9.45 million dollar deal, had a meh season in 2014-15, then fell of a cliff and went back to europe.

I don't think Ennis will fall off that much, but they're at the same age when the leafs let Raymond go.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The same thing that went wrong in Buffalo: he was a $1M player getting paid $4.6M.

That's why I'd try a multi-year, offer at a little over the amount you can bury in the minors.

Now I could very well see someone step up and overpay him, but his history could perhaps deter teams from overpaying for multiple years.

So the offer would be based on giving him term, on an up and coming team with a salary range that would fit on the 4th. line. He'll be 30 to start the season, so he's made good money in his career. Perhaps being in a good situation, settled and knowing all he has to do is play solid 4th. line minutes would make for a happy life?

Who am I kidding, he'll sign somewhere for twice that money.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
A lot of really serious injuries as well.

You do not give term to an Ennis type player. If he wants his paycheck, which he's entirely entitled to seek, it won't be from the Leafs.

Maybe he loves it enough here to take another cheap 1 year deal and take his chance after... but probably not. He's still getting paid by the Wild so maybe there's a chance.

He's very likely to regress next year. He's useful for the playoff run, then you let him walk.

Dubas didn't trade for Petan just for this season. Unless he takes a 2 year ~1 million deal, he's gone.

When Brown is on the outside looking in making 2.1 next year, can't have another bottom 6 player making 1.5+

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If the thought ever enters Dubas' head that maybe $1.5M or so would be worth the risk with Ennis, Dubas should be reminded of how Ennis looked earlier in the season. Ennis' legs weren't quite there. That's a preview of what he could turn into.

But in the meantime, isn't it time to give Ennis another go higher in the lineup?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Ennis signing this year was a win/win for player and team, he'll catch on with another team next year with a substantial raise. If he wanted to stay at his current salary and/or a minimal raise I'd have no issues, but he won't and probably shouldn't.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Depends on price. If it is slightly higher then where he is right now, sure. If higher then a million a season I take a pass.

Ennis is a nice player, but like him this year there will be other vets looking for an opportunity to reestablish their stock in the NHL or want an opportunity to play on a winner or play at home. All these type of players will take short deals at the minimum.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There is no room for him and no CAP room either. We need to get Moore into lineup next year at much lower AAV too. But he will get a decent payday with another team. Ennis and Leivo's will be better off.

We also need to get Marchment in for Marleau assuming we download Marleau
We also need to get Sandin in for Z assuming we download Z
We likely need to trade AJ for a Dcore prospect and pick and then bring Bracco up (depending on CAP)
Maybe resign Hainsey for 1 more year at camp (depending on his condition at camp and CAP) if no one else has signed him up

Those 4 moves help AAV and CAP and team improves next year assuming Kappy and Marner signings

Lots of work ahead but blueprint is pretty straightforward

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If players were cars, the garage already has Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Pagani's, etc. Ennis is like a Honda Civic Type-R where Connor Brown is a truck. One is definitely more flashy, but which is more useful could depend on the team. Brown has been asked to slow down and drive safe and that's lead him to slowly plodding along into being a top 50 forward in the NHL for +/-. Ennis will easily be more valuable to a team needing speed. Brown is everything you could want for in a 6th round pick.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
We have Moore and Petan both locked in for cheap next year.
We have Bracco, Marchment, Engvall, etc. most likely ready for the jump.

Unless Ennis is cheap again, there's no need for him.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I thank him for his service, and move on.

Remember Mason Raymond? He had a 45 point season in 2013-14, leafs signed him for a million, then let him walk. He signed a 3 year, 9.45 million dollar deal, had a meh season in 2014-15, then fell of a cliff and went back to europe.

I don't think Ennis will fall off that much, but they're at the same age when the leafs let Raymond go.

Exactly my thoughts. Ennis on a cheap, 1-year deal? Sure. But He's likely going to get better offers than that. You don't get into a bidding war for a 30 year old UFA who will most likely be playing on your fourth line. We have a lot of cheap wingers who will be fighting for spots at camp next year.

Hope we can give him a nice long playoff run before he goes though.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Exactly my thoughts. Ennis on a cheap, 1-year deal? Sure. But He's likely going to get better offers than that. You don't get into a bidding war for a 30 year old UFA who will most likely be playing on your fourth line. We have a lot of cheap wingers who will be fighting for spots at camp next year.

Hope we can give him a nice long playoff run before he goes though.

I mean, hell they brought in Petan as a long term project, have Moore, Gauthier under contract next year. Not to mention Marchment, Bracco, Engvall all lurking.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Babcock really likes him and I see no reason why he wouldn't want to sign here. His chance of winning a cup are greater with this team and he seems to be well-liked by his teammates.

Rather have him earn Brown's money than Brown.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
Not very closely, apparently.
Close enough to know Ennis has not put in a full season since he came into the NHL. He's had one 20 goal season since he came in. First hat trick in 6 years, I'm not sure how long, and he's the second coming. Gonna replace a solder like brown who's put into a checking roll and does his job, and don't whine. Next game watch Browny on the ice all over up and down the ice hunting down the puck. This kid who just checks and doesn't whine was the overal leading scorer in the OHL. If he had a scoring roll you'd see him rack em up. Way more then the shinny new penny Ennis that the NHL gave up on until Kyle gave him a chance.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Close enough to know Ennis has not put in a full season since he came into the NHL. He's had one 20 goal season since he came in. First hat trick in 6 years, I'm not sure how long, and he's the second coming. Gonna replace a solder like brown who's put into a checking roll and does his job, and don't whine. Next game watch Browny on the ice all over up and down the ice hunting down the puck. This kid who just checks and doesn't whine was the overal leading scorer in the OHL. If he had a scoring roll you'd see him rack em up. Way more then the shinny new penny Ennis that the NHL gave up on until Kyle gave him a chance.
Brown can skate up and down the ice all game long...and accomplish absolutely nothing. His OHL stats are useless as that game hasn't and won't transmit to the NHL. Stop living in the past.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
If Ennis takes 2 [email protected] per, I take it. We need some bodies here making low number contracts with proven ability. I have a feeling he might look around for somewhere where he can cash in on a 1-year deal for significantly more than that, though. I hope not, though.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
For 950K or less, 100%.

However he’ll get a better contract than that.

Exactly.

While in theory he’d be welcome back, the Leafs are better off finding the next under valued bargain bin free agent winger (there are always lots of them)

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Babcock really likes him and I see no reason why he wouldn't want to sign here. His chance of winning a cup are greater with this team and he seems to be well-liked by his teammates.

Rather have him earn Brown's money than Brown.

Ennis isn’t getting any younger and other teams can offer more money.

We’re getting rid of Brown cause we can’t afford 2.1m on a 4th liner, we aren’t going to do the same for Ennis.

Our fourth line will be making next to no money next season.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Just based on the numbers game, he won't be back.

He is good enough to get offers higher than his 1x1 contract with us, but that's probably all we could afford to extend him. So he'll take a shot that offers more money to play higher in the lineup. I expect him to end up in Phoenix or Edmonton for 2 million where he'll be expected to be a 2nd/3rd liner, rather than back here for 1 million playing on the 4th.

Edit: that said, if he was were willing to come back for a 1 million dollar price-tag, I would welcome him with open arms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad