Do you think Treliving should stay or go?

Would you extend Treliving this summer?

• Yes

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
His contract is up this summer, no sign whether he’s staying or not. We have 21 games left and are 5 points out. Tre did phenomenal work retooling the team last summer but the results haven’t shown on the ice. For a guy I consider one of our better GMs in franchise history, I think it’s worth discussing whether he’ll stay or not. In my opinion, I’d be perfectly okay extending him and seeing what we can do with another re-tool ( if it comes to that this summer).

But fact of the matter is, we’ve won 2 playoff rounds since he took over in 2014. The team has stayed relatively mediocre (playoffs one year, miss the next), and his UFA signings have left a lot to be desired. Should this team have a breath of fresh air in management and perhaps a new direction? What do you guys think?

Reactions: Tofveve

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I’d keep him.

Not because I think he’s amazing but because I don’t have any confidence in the ownership group to replace him with someone better.
Edwards is the one calling the shots anyway. Anyone new is going to have to do what the bossman says. I hate to say it but look how much Pierre Dorion has improved his reputation since the ownership change.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
This is a tough question because I don't think Treliving is a bad GM, but I also am not sure he is anything better than a ok-good GM. He hasn't done anything that I would say needs to get him fired, and my biggest criticism of him is likely a mandate handed to him by the ownership, but he also has had enough time to build a successful team and he has not been able to build anything close to a contender.

The other aspect is like InfiniteIggy says I have zero faith that this ownership group would have the ability/willingness to hire someone better and certainly do not think they would let the new GM have free reign to do whatever they think is needed for the team going forward.

That said knowing that there is a good chance we downgrade and likely chance we get a similar level GM I would probably lean towards moving on from Treliving with the hope that the new GM would not have as much attachment to the current team which I find to be wholly unlikable. There isn't a single player that I would care if they left, not a single player I feel attachment towards. So while I am not sure the new GM would make the team any better or bring any success, I do hope maybe they would build a team I at least enjoyed watching or following more than I do now.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we can get Bob Murray to come back then I’d be open to a change.

Otherwise I agree we will just bring in some crusty guy that’s worse than Treliving.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I like Treliving but his track record would get him fired from most places. I'd prefer to keep him because I don't know who ownership would hire next. I'd be okay with Mike Futa or Bob Murray but other than that I don't see anyone available who I would be confident in.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I’d keep him.

Not because I think he’s amazing but because I don’t have any confidence in the ownership group to replace him with someone better.
QlSTkOL.gif

Voted yes for the same reason. I really doubt he's getting that extension though.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like Treliving but his track record would get him fired from most places. I'd prefer to keep him because I don't know who ownership would hire next. I'd be okay with Mike Futa or Bob Murray but other than that I don't see anyone available who I would be confident in.

I don't have confidence these guys outperform Treliving with the same ownership handcuffs on. I agree the issue is the mandate. Treliving built a decent house after being told he had full access to the habitat for humanity restore inventory. The house could have been even better if he was given a decent budget at home depot.

Treliving started what should have been a rebuild with high draft picks in 2015. Playoff mandate instead. No retention tool.

Major prospect pool/rebuilding pieces: Monahan, Bennett, Klimchuk, Poirier, Baertschi, Smith, Jankowski, Sieloff, McDonald, Granlund, Wotherspoon... Lucked into Gaudreau and ferland developing. None left on roster. Farm team situation in shambles, he helped spear head a major realignment in location and development/training to reduce players being lost or trained incorrectly to be unable to make the jump. Burke borked the 2014 draft. Wideman, Peters and covid bad luck and distractions.

Decent roster players : Gio, Brodie, pre mesh Backlund, Stajan, hudler, Russell,

Unlike a Dorion, found a way to make the team competitive selling off pieces at a high value and using the 2015 draft pieces onwards. But this success was technically his down fall as he'd draft too high to add quality pieces for a proper rebuild.

I'd want to unlock the ownership restrictions, give him 2 seasons and see what he really can do in a compact rebuild.

Here's the thing. I think Treliving could do a Damn good 1-2 year retool this season if allowed. But I bet ownership has to review everything and won't let him retain and wants him to still aim for playoffs this year if possible. 1 of 3, maybe. But 3 of 3 likely means he's too handcuffed to do much of anything.

This off season showed he can do stuff like this to a high extreme. But with playoff mandate, he was told to go for broke vs a plausible 1-2 year rebuild if flipping assets this season. He can pull off complex wtf awesome trades for core pieces.

Maybe if I were him and in the hot seat, I'd do it anyways to showcase his gming talent before being fired for insubordination/not extended. I bet he get hired in a heart beat by other orgs.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't have confidence these guys outperform Treliving with the same ownership handcuffs on. I agree the issue is the mandate. Treliving built a decent house after being told he had full access to the habitat for humanity restore inventory. The house could have been even better if he was given a decent budget at home depot.

Treliving started what should have been a rebuild with high draft picks in 2015. Playoff mandate instead. No retention tool.

Major prospect pool/rebuilding pieces: Monahan, Bennett, Klimchuk, Poirier, Baertschi, Smith, Jankowski, Sieloff, McDonald, Granlund, Wotherspoon... Lucked into Gaudreau and ferland developing. None left on roster. Farm team situation in shambles, he helped spear head a major realignment in location and development/training to reduce players being lost or trained incorrectly to be unable to make the jump. Burke borked the 2014 draft. Wideman, Peters and covid bad luck and distractions.

Decent roster players : Gio, Brodie, pre mesh Backlund, Stajan, hudler, Russell,

Unlike a Dorion, found a way to make the team competitive selling off pieces at a high value and using the 2015 draft pieces onwards. But this success was technically his down fall as he'd draft too high to add quality pieces for a proper rebuild.

I'd want to unlock the ownership restrictions, give him 2 seasons and see what he really can do in a compact rebuild.

Here's the thing. I think Treliving could do a Damn good 1-2 year retool this season if allowed. But I bet ownership has to review everything and won't let him retain and wants him to still aim for playoffs this year if possible. 1 of 3, maybe. But 3 of 3 likely means he's too handcuffed to do much of anything.

This off season showed he can do stuff like this to a high extreme. But with playoff mandate, he was told to go for broke vs a plausible 1-2 year rebuild if flipping assets this season. He can pull off complex wtf awesome trades for core pieces.

Maybe if I were him and in the hot seat, I'd do it anyways to showcase his gming talent before being fired for insubordination/not extended. I bet he get hired in a heart beat by other orgs.
Treliving is definitely going to be a guy who gets another shot with a different org.

Reactions: Iggys Dome and Fig

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'd get rid of him simply because he does not have a car-salesman mentality and I'm tired of it. No more Mr. Nice Guy. We need someone that will present pieces of dog biscuit as T-bone Steaks. Seriously. Time to f*** other teams with piles of doggie biscuits. Car salesmen do it all the time - all the time. Bring in a 2014 Toyota hoping for value considering its 1 yr away from being paid off. Walk out with a 2018 over 7 yrs. Because you looked a little too desperate motherf***er.

We need high draft picks year after year til we land our generational talent and superstar supporting cast. f*** all the other noise.

Tre done anything close to that? Nope. Punt.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Treliving is definitely going to be a guy who gets another shot with a different org.

If Treliving was gm of the yotes instead of Chayka, I bet that team would have been a potential powerhouse by now. Great at letting scouts do their thing and great at contracts. Chayka meddle too much.

Even the yotes don't disallow buyouts and retention or require review of all moves... And they're the the laughing stock of the league. Dorion, Benning, Chiarelli and those guys were not restricted from retaining salary.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd get rid of him simply because he does not have a car-salesman mentality and I'm tired of it. No more Mr. Nice Guy. We need someone that will present pieces of dog biscuit as T-bone Steaks. Seriously. Time to f*** other teams with piles of doggie biscuits. Car salesmen do it all the time - all the time. Bring in a 2014 Toyota hoping for value considering its 1 yr away from being paid off. Walk out with a 2018 over 7 yrs. Because you looked a little too desperate motherf***er.

We need high draft picks year after year til we land our generational talent and superstar supporting cast. f*** all the other noise.

Tre done anything close to that? Nope. Punt.

He literally cannot without being insubordinate based on what I understand. CSEC group literally goes through all the ideas from the management group and vetoes stuff they don't like. If you're going to do this, CSEC should be the management group. Why hire competent guys and refuse to listen to them or listen to half only so the other half fails?

Rumors are openly being told now about how many trades have fallen apart due to ownership group being unavailable to review a trade in time. Bishop and Zucker off the top of my head alone.

I think Treliving was lying when he said there's no budget restriction on coaches. I bet if he's fired, we don't get an established GM. I bet we get a newbie or a "washed up" Murray/Maloney because they're cheap and then we don't get a Boudreau calibre guy, we continue with Sutter or newbie cheap coaches all over again.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

I don't think they would outperform him but they wouldn't be bad like some of the potential other hires. Ownership still seems way too involved in decisions despite it never bringing them anything good. If they were smart they would just hire the best people and learn to stay out of the way instead of trying to micromanage. Realistically no matter who takes over this team is unlikely to become what it needs to be unless the GM gets lucky or the current owners sell the team.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
He literally cannot without being insubordinate based on what I understand. CSEC group literally goes through all the ideas from the management group and vetoes stuff they don't like. If you're going to do this, CSEC should be the management group. Why hire competent guys and refuse to listen to them or listen to half only so the other half fails?

Rumors are openly being told now about how many trades have fallen apart due to ownership group being unavailable to review a trade in time. Bishop and Zucker off the top of my head alone.

I think Treliving was lying when he said there's no budget restriction on coaches. I bet if he's fired, we don't get an established GM. I bet we get a newbie or a "washed up" Murray/Maloney because they're cheap and then we don't get a Boudreau calibre guy, we continue with Sutter or newbie cheap coaches all over again.

I don't doubt that, but he's far too nice and not slimy enough.

I need a Better Call Saul to placate ownership while signing boon trades/contracts.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think they would outperform him but they wouldn't be bad like some of the potential other hires. Ownership still seems way too involved in decisions despite it never bringing them anything good. If they were smart they would just hire the best people and learn to stay out of the way instead of trying to micromanage. Realistically no matter who takes over this team is unlikely to become what it needs to be unless the GM gets lucky or the current owners sell the team.
Our org has Treliving, Murray and Maloney. That's a Damn strong team and that's not including the fact or other AGM are solid. We have some of the best people (minus maybe goalie coaches). But they aren't allowed to do their thing properly.

Agreed nothing will happen unless ownership sells or just removed the leash on the Damn guys.
I don't doubt that, but he's far too nice and not slimy enough.

I need a Better Call Saul to placate ownership while signing boon trades/contracts.
Hudler, Russell, Hamilton, Hanifin, Lindholm and Tkachuk trades not slimy enough? He often got those guys for cheaper or sold for more than expected.

Contracts wise, Hanifin, Andersson, Lindholm, Kylington, Gaudreau, Gio, Tkachuk, Brodie etc. Contracts not solid enough?

I'll give you guys UFA though. But that's also seemingly rushed by the mandate vs Treliving not allowed or content to stand pat. We've seen Treliving is OK being patient though. He's learned IMO.

That should've never happened but I'd rather have Pelletier than Zucker so I'm not upset about that one.

Fair. But that's also again due to playoff mandate. Treliving likes to be patient with prospects to a fault. He'd be a good rebuild gm if he wasn't required to plug the roster with vets to aim for playoffs.

IMO his AHL mandate for development agrees with this concept.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Let him go. I'm not as down on him as most are, and I think generally he's improved the longer he's been around. The Huberdeau stuff hasn't worked out, but I think at the time it was a good attempt at making the most of a bad situation. And you know how our owners are, a rebuild isn't really on the table, I'm not going to totally hold that against him. And I think the surprise run in 2015 accelerated things by a couple years and changed a lot.

But he's been here going on close to a decade, we've won two playoff rounds, and we just lost two elite players who were the cornerstone of our franchise in one go under his leadership. He has pros, he has cons. But ultimately was a better GM than Feaster or Sutter.

But expiring contract is the perfect time to just move on, thank him for his work, no hard feelings but it's time to try something new. He doesn't get fired, we can move on. It's clean.

We'll prob just promote Conroy which I'm nervous about. But he's got the history with Sutter so I'm guessing ownership will like that fit

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
It's just time to move on I think.
His drafting has been OK. Trades pretty good. Free agency hit and miss, but outside of maybe Neal and some league minimum scrubs all the signings at least made sense at the time.
So all in all a passable job, and as a result you get a thoroughly middle of the pack team.

Reactions: MM917

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
with a condition that they get a real POH who shelters Conroy from ownership AND coach meddling and lets him GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad