Do you think Dubas risks losing Keefe to keep Babcock a little longer?

Do you think Dubas risks losing Keefe to keep Babcock a little longer?

• Total voters

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The Leafs' poor performance this year in the second half and in the playoffs is on Babcock.

The Leafs' poor performance next year if they keep Babcock as head coach (and it will be a poor performance) will be on Dubas.

Risk either way. Dubas needs to show that he deserves the GM job by getting the proper coach for this team.

Why would a poor performance next year be on Dubas ?

If Babcock coaches the same way wouldn't it be on him again ?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I could see him being promoted to a coaching position under Babcock, but above other assistants.

Not sure, perhaps as an associate coach, or some sloppy title that lets him know where he is in the pecking order.

Perhaps Next Head Coach.

Either way I don't think he want to lose Keefe just yet.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If leaves we don't need a rookie coach.

The quality of a coach has little to do with how long he has kicked around the NHL. You wonder why people say that there are few good options with NHL experience? It is because NHL teams play too much musical chairs with failed NHL coaches instead of bringing in coaches who have proven themselves in other leagues.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
The Leafs' poor performance this year in the second half and in the playoffs is on Babcock.

The Leafs' poor performance next year if they keep Babcock as head coach (and it will be a poor performance) will be on Dubas.

Risk either way. Dubas needs to show that he deserves the GM job by getting the proper coach for this team.

And the proper team for this coach. The playoffs are a whole different game. All the slick skating, goal scoring teams got eliminated. Teams with players that pay the price and get their jerseys dirty are always the winners when the playoffs come. This team is built for success over an 82 game schedule, not a short 7 game series.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Babs doesn't work with anyone. But if I was Keefe I would never consider working under Babcock. He should just accept another NHL head coaching offer if Dubas won't free up the head coaching job for the Leafs.
And if he really wants to stay with Dubas he can always take a little extra on the paycheque and see how next year turns out.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And he ain’t doin that either.

I agree.

Tough love. He doesn't have to like it. He's just another coach.

His record in winning isn't really any more impressive than many other coaches.

He's overpaid because the Leafs have a tonne of money and wanted to make a statement with his signing.

He's done his job but today I don't see him as the reason the Leafs made the playoffs, but perhaps the reason they didn't win in the playoffs.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
And the proper team for this coach. The playoffs are a whole different game. All the slick skating, goal scoring teams got eliminated. Teams with players that pay the price and get their jerseys dirty are always the winners when the playoffs come. This team is built for success over an 82 game schedule, not a short 7 game series.

You obviously did not watch the games if you think this was due to "getting jerseys dirty".

Take a look at the teams left. Do you honestly think that the grittier teams got through ?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Babs doesn't work with anyone. But if I was Keefe I would never consider working under Babcock. He should just accept another NHL head coaching offer if Dubas won't free up the head coaching job for the Leafs.

Keefe can't be too choosy. He owes Dubas the world. He's lucky he wasn't blackballed from hockey.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

This team played far below a wild card level for the second half the season. This team's PP and PK problems started well before the playoffs. The usage issues have always existed. This wasn't like Tampa running up against a late surging team while suffering from injuries and bad luck. Boston didn't play well and they didn't need to.

Reactions: AppsSyl

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Had the leafs lost without the year-long special teams being abysmal, eyebrow-raising ice times, puzzling line combos, and questionable player usage then the loss would perhaps have been written off as bad luck. As it stands I think his head is on the block.

It definitely should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad