Do you think Dubas risks losing Keefe to keep Babcock a little longer?

Do you think Dubas risks losing Keefe to keep Babcock a little longer?

• Total voters

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Wouldn't want Keefe as a Leafs Head coach. Assistant sure.

It would be an unnecessary risk to promote a rookie to be our coach. We have a bottomless pit of $$$ to grab the best proven man for the job.

The already spent a bottomless pit of $$$ to grab the best proven man for the job. He is a terrible coach for this team.

Reactions: nick942

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Just like Dallas Eakins?

AHL coaching doesn't always translate well at the NHL level. Look at what he did with the Oilers.

If we're replacing Babcock, I hope we get an NHL caliber coach with experience.
Have you watched any Marlies games? Keefe is not Eakins. He runs Babcock's system, better than Babcock does.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Oilers fan here hoping you don't fire Babcock.

We're legitimately worried we would replace Hitchcock for Babcock, in a cock swap.

We don't want to extend our cock either.

LOL.

Oilers need to keep doing what they are doing and frustrate McDavid to the point where he wants to return home. He probably has a Leaf pyjama picture ready to tweet :)

LOL.

Babcock needs to go and the sooner the better. I guess he was a good coach at one time and I'd even say that he did a good job in Toronto his first couple of years. Today though, as far as I can tell he's a loser. Every day he stays on he poisons the well and I hope we hear of his firing before the week is over.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Keefe has the courage to do things like run two rookies with no AHL experience (Duszak and Hollowell) as a D pairing in the playoffs while the teams' top pairing are both 19 years old. He isn't afraid of change. He isn't dogmatic. He coaches to win. And he does win. Repeatedly. It would suck to have someone like him coaching the Leafs when they could either keep Babcock or hire some other failed NHL coach.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Why is it assumed that Keefe is some genius panacea? What are the chances that the best candidate is in our own backyard?

Pretty good. He isn't a random pick. He didn't stumble into the Leafs' backyard. He is in the Leafs backyard because Dubas put him there. What were the chances that the Duck's best candidate was in their backyard in 2002? 100%.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think there is a good chance Matthews has tuned Babcock out. A big personality with ego who is very stubborn may have been good Year 1 and Year 2 of the rebuild to lay down the law and provide a disciplined setting (like Lou), but at this point Babcock appears unwilling to grow and evolve with the team, and is too set in his ways. I personally can't stomach another year of PP1 and PP2 playing the same amount, Marleau iced on the 3rd line, Matthews playing under 20 min/game (especially in a game 7), etc.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Last I checked, he didnt win as an OHL coach....

You’re correct in terms of an OHL Championship, but he coached the Soo to one of the best seasons by an OHL team, (only a few wins behind the great Knights team with far less talent) and only got eliminated because of McDavid.

He won quiet a bit at the OHL level.

He won a lot, including a championship at the AHL level.

All with Dubas built rosters.

You can at least agree it’s worth considering.

Reactions: Kanu and MyBudJT

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You don’t want McDavid & Draisaitl paired with gud pros that will “show up on time” & “dig in” ?

babcock telling their new GM

"trust me hyman and brown for this years 1st, 2nd and pulijarvii is a steal. Those leafs guys cant understand the value for these 2. f*** take marleau too!"

Reactions: Schooner

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Making Keefe the assistant is the cowards way out. Plus with Babcocks ego he will see him as a replacement and that will cause inner turmoil. Either fire Babcock and hire Keefe or deal with the consequences of possibly losing Keefe. When Babcock does get fired I don't want a coaching retread here. With Dubas I believe that will never happen anyway the next coach will be younger and more forward thinking along the lines of the GM.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Keefe has suddenly become very overrated around here...
Flavor of the week. Some Leaf fans like to hop on and ride-out certain topics and certain people and run them into the ground. Soon you wont see that name keefe for awhile there isnt anybody else to talk about right now i guess.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think there is a good chance Matthews has tuned Babcock out. A big personality with ego who is very stubborn may have been good Year 1 and Year 2 of the rebuild to lay down the law and provide a disciplined setting (like Lou), but at this point Babcock appears unwilling to grow and evolve with the team, and is too set in his ways. I personally can't stomach another year of PP1 and PP2 playing the same amount, Marleau iced on the 3rd line, Matthews playing under 20 min/game (especially in a game 7), etc.

Matthews is a big game type player in that i mean he wants to be out there, it must have killed him the ice time he got last night. Marner too I know he got 20 mins but he should be at 20 mins in 5 on 5 not including pk.

Reactions: AppsSyl

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's not going to happen for next season unless Babcock quits (he won't).

Keefe will get his chance very soon but it depends on Babcocks success next season. I think Dubas will ask Keefe to give him one more season with the Marlies, or perhaps as an assistant coach, and go from there.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't think it's Dubas's decision. And even if it was, l think Babs has one more kick at the can to win a round.

This year he should have won, last year it would have been nice to win, year prior would have been a suprise to win.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
ive been told Q is similar to babs in terms of vet love and ice time etc? if true might as well just keep babs

every coach has their warts. like. i'm sorry, tampa tied the record for most wins, and a lot of tampa fans think Cooper needs to get out of dodge. i think every player has those who they trust etc. the real question is, can whomever adapt quickly.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Babcock needs to go, it’s time for the Leafs to get a new school coach. Look at how well Boston did replacing Julien with Cassidy. In this series alone there were many questionable coach decisions that, imo, was the difference between winning a losing.

- Last 5 minutes of any game we are trailing, play Matthews and Tavares as much as possible. Why is Marleau and the 4th line going out there?
- If you’re pulling you goalie with 2.5 mins left at least make sure your line forechecker is fresh, has support and has possession
- Why is the Goat playing at all late in the games? Sure the 4th line is buzzing, but that’s largely on the backs of Moore and Ennis. Double shift Matthews and Tavares, or make the adjustment and move Moore and Ennis up with Nylander instead of the struggling Brown and Marleau
- Special teams were a problem all year, how do you go 82 games + playoffs without making an adjustment? I know this is more on the assistants, but still is overseen by Babcock.
- Play your best players! In game 7 you’re playing Matthews for 18 minutes? Are you kidding me? He has been your best and most productive player in this series, there’s no excuse for that.
- Why is your #1 PP unit still getting 50s shifts? Especially in a game 7 when you’re down by 2.
- With 1 minute left in the period, or with the net empty, stack a line. Play Matthews - JT - Marner to close out each period.

Last edited:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Wouldn't want Keefe as a Leafs Head coach. Assistant sure.

It would be an unnecessary risk to promote a rookie to be our coach. We have a bottomless pit of $$$ to grab the best proven man for the job.

Who would that be? Two weeks ago it would of been Quenville. Now I don’t see anyone. Better off keeping cock. If they fire him I’d rather a new guy than see someone who recently failed elsewhere come take over

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I could see him being promoted to a coaching position under Babcock, but above other assistants.

Not sure, perhaps as an associate coach, or some sloppy title that lets him know where he is in the pecking order.

Perhaps Next Head Coach.
Ha. Babs ain’t working with a “coach in waiting”.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Dubas risks losing his own job if he fires Babcock.

The Leafs' poor performance this year in the second half and in the playoffs is on Babcock.

The Leafs' poor performance next year if they keep Babcock as head coach (and it will be a poor performance) will be on Dubas.

Risk either way. Dubas needs to show that he deserves the GM job by getting the proper coach for this team.

Reactions: AppsSyl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad