Do You Put Lucic with Spooner or Krejci Next Year?

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013
Lucic has reportedly been going through the offseason trying to work on a stronger shot. I know this really only implies he wants to score more but I think that having Krejci back with him will really help him excel in the goal scoring department.

With that said, Spooner needs someone to dish the puck off to.

Lucic - Krejci - Connolly
Eriksson - Spooner - Pastrnak

Krejci gets his shoot first RW and Eriksson can play the slow defensive winger role on the kid line. But he will have to switch over to LW, something I haven't seen him excel at.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Lucic at 6 M or Krejci at 7.25 M shouldn't be skating on our teams 3rd line.

If they are, we have a huge cap problem. If Krejci and Lucic don't deliver one of them needs to go.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Lucic has reportedly been going through the offseason trying to work on a stronger shot. I know this really only implies he wants to score more but I think that having Krejci back with him will really help him excel in the goal scoring department.

Krejci gets his shoot first RW and Eriksson can play the slow defensive winger role on the kid line. But he will have to switch over to LW, something I haven't seen him excel at.

Where on earth did you read that?

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

Source?

I always thought he had a heavy shot, but he just doesn't have great accuracy, hence going 5 hole or into the goalies crest 75% of the time

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Lucic-Krejci-?
Marchand-Bergeron-?
?- Spooner-Pastrnak
Eriksson-?-Connolly-? Smith-?Kelly-? Talbot?

Chara- Hamilton
Seids-?
Krug-?
Bart, McQuad Miller, Morrow, Trotman

Sweeney needs to make some decisions:

Is Krejci your #1 center at 7.25 million? The knock on him is that he is slow and has not played his best since 2011.

Is Lucic worth a big contract? Prototypical Bruin, but may not have the speed or scoring ability as top LW and may cost too much.

Where does Eriksson fit at 4.25 million? He has to play on the top two lines. Who can he play with?

Is Smith worth 3.45 million? Does he stay on the 2nd line?

Can the Bruins afford Chris Kelly at 3 million playing 4th line center? I don't think so.

Is there any point having Max Talbot?

Defense- What do you do to improve the transition game?They need to find two young studs to move the puck.

Can they trade Chara or Seids?

Good luck Don. This Bruin team is a long ways away from competing against the top four teams right now who are playing in the playoffs.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Lucic-Krejci-?
Marchand-Bergeron-?
?- Spooner-Pastrnak
Eriksson-?-Connolly-? Smith-?Kelly-? Talbot?

Chara- Hamilton
Seids-?
Krug-?
Bart, McQuad Miller, Morrow, Trotman

Sweeney needs to make some decisions:

Is Krejci your #1 center at 7.25 million? The knock on him is that he is slow and has not played his best since 2011.

Is Lucic worth a big contract? Prototypical Bruin, but may not have the speed or scoring ability as top LW and may cost too much.

Where does Eriksson fit at 4.25 million? He has to play on the top two lines. Who can he play with?

Is Smith worth 3.45 million? Does he stay on the 2nd line?

Can the Bruins afford Chris Kelly at 3 million playing 4th line center? I don't think so.

Is there any point having Max Talbot?

Defense- What do you do to improve the transition game?They need to find two young studs to move the puck.

Can they trade Chara or Seids?

Good luck Don. This Bruin team is a long ways away from competing against the top four teams right now who are playing in the playoffs.

have to disagree with the bolded.

Krejci was a stud in 2013-2014. 19 goals 50 assists for 69 points.

There is no downside to Talbot. 875k cap hit for one more season, savvy vet can mentor the kids, 4th line or pressbox why not?

You aren't going to find 2 young studs these days without decimating your team elsewhere. Dougie and Krug are growing. We do need to add a legit top 4 D though, but finding 2 is almost impossible

I agree with most of the rest. Try to trade Kelly, listen to offers on Seids/Smith/Loui/Lucic. Move 1-2 of them if yo get good return

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Spooner for me. He's fast and force Lucic to move his feet. They were also pruductive late in the season.

Lucic-Spooner-Pasta should start together.

As for Krejci, I would try to see if I can get a top-D or a top-W in return in a trade. If that can happen, do it. If not, put him with Loui and Smith/Connolly/newly acquired W.

I also agree. I think Krejci is a good chip to move for a young top line talent; and if in a package, also a young D.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Eriksson, Spooner, Pasta is an interesting proposition. Hmmm.

Deedot

I'm your Huckelberry
Mar 21, 2002
New York
Visit site
Couldn`t agree more Jean

That Spooner line almost carried the team for the last month. Ya know, appreciate all that DK is and all he has done here but this game is getting fast, and he isn`t close to that. I want speed, look at the top 4 teams left, all can outright fly

Spooner & Pasta may have carried this team late last year but it was a very small sample and there's a world of difference between regular season & playoffs. Spooner & Pasta's game IMHO will not nearly be as effective in the post-season as teams will negate their speed by just playing physical against these 2 diminutive forwards. In Pasta's first game vs LA he was targeted from the start and you could see that while he was game he wasn't nearly as effective as he had been in other games. And Spooner doesn't seem the type to get his nose dirty and seems more of a perimeter player but I feel that's his game, curl up upon entry, hit the late man. I haven't seen Ryan really use his speed and drive around defenders as much as he could / should. I would also love Ryan to show a little bit more grit in his game and drive to the net, just not so sure he would be very effective doing so.

If you trade DK, that leaves the lion's share of offense the Bergie's line if Spoons & Pasta draw the other team's top defenders. Speed is a great asset but only when used properly and I question Ryan's usage of it. From what I've seen, he is not the most creative player with the puck at least not in the same league as DK. I think you need both types of players (DK to slow the game down, RS to attack w/ pace) and having lines centered by DK, PB and RS gives us a lot of options. That said, the big question in my mind is can we expect the same level of effort & results from Spooner & Pasta (w/ Lucic) next year or was last year an aberration? Only time will tell but I don't believe trading DK addresses our offensive woes which many feel was a key reason that we were on the outside looking in.

P.S: Just for the record, I really like RS, perhaps he just needs another year or 2 of seasoning at the NHL level to truly gauge what he can do and what he can become. One thing though, I wish he'd do away with his "10 & 2" skating style, there's a time & a place for it, not "every" time you enter the O-zone! :)

reillysmith38

Dec 22, 2013
Where on earth did you read that?

Source?

I always thought he had a heavy shot, but he just doesn't have great accuracy, hence going 5 hole or into the goalies crest 75% of the time

There have certainly been bigger things than hockey occupying the first month-plus of Lucic’s offseason, but he’s already begun his training for next season. Once the baby comes, he’ll head home to Vancouver, where he will work with one of his former coaches to regain confidence in his shot.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/h...ilan-lucic-trying-avoid-uncertainty-offseason

Lucic imo, has one of the stronger wrist shots on this team. It's just not very accurate and he flubs it a lot. Also surprised he doesn't take many slapshots given his size and strength.

Eriksson, Spooner, Pasta is an interesting proposition. Hmmm.

We know Spooner and Pastrnak have a little bit of good chemistry here. They're both young, fast, skilled players. Again, not sure about Loui's adjustment to the left wing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Spooner & Pasta may have carried this team late last year but it was a very small sample and there's a world of difference between regular season & playoffs. Spooner & Pasta's game IMHO will not nearly be as effective in the post-season as teams will negate their speed by just playing physical against these 2 diminutive forwards. In Pasta's first game vs LA he was targeted from the start and you could see that while he was game he wasn't nearly as effective as he had been in other games. And Spooner doesn't seem the type to get his nose dirty and seems more of a perimeter player but I feel that's his game, curl up upon entry, hit the late man. I haven't seen Ryan really use his speed and drive around defenders as much as he could / should. I would also love Ryan to show a little bit more grit in his game and drive to the net, just not so sure he would be very effective doing so.

If you trade DK, that leaves the lion's share of offense the Bergie's line if Spoons & Pasta draw the other team's top defenders. Speed is a great asset but only when used properly and I question Ryan's usage of it. From what I've seen, he is not the most creative player with the puck at least not in the same league as DK. I think you need both types of players (DK to slow the game down, RS to attack w/ pace) and having lines centered by DK, PB and RS gives us a lot of options. That said, the big question in my mind is can we expect the same level of effort & results from Spooner & Pasta (w/ Lucic) next year or was last year an aberration? Only time will tell but I don't believe trading DK addresses our offensive woes which many feel was a key reason that we were on the outside looking in.

P.S: Just for the record, I really like RS, perhaps he just needs another year or 2 of seasoning at the NHL level to truly gauge what he can do and what he can become. One thing though, I wish he'd do away with his "10 & 2" skating style, there's a time & a place for it, not "every" time you enter the O-zone! :)

Good post, my problem with Krejci is two-fold

Speed of the game- it`s getting quicker, he plays the opposite, Sweeney has already stated he wants a more up tempo game, can DK even play that way?

Health- I have mentioned it here often with nobody feeling equally as concerned but while he isn`t injury prone by any stretch, I`m not at all liking the possible issue with his hip over the long term

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I like the idea of keeping him with Spooner and Pasta but you need to find some good players to play with DK.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Good post, my problem with Krejci is two-fold

Speed of the game- it`s getting quicker, he plays the opposite, Sweeney has already stated he wants a more up tempo game, can DK even play that way?

Health- I have mentioned it here often with nobody feeling equally as concerned but while he isn`t injury prone by any stretch, I`m not at all liking the possible issue with his hip over the long term

^ This. He is signed for too long and for too much $$$.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
It all depends on who comes in over the summah. In a perfect world you would put Looch back with Krejci and have Connolly or Eriksson on the right, and for the kids line you would put someone big, fast but responsible there too, who that player is? No idea.

If Boston can find themselves a big left winger that will do what Looch used to i'd stick him with Krejci, but again, with 0 cap space we're pretty short on options. I like Looch with the kids though, but he shouldn't 'have' to play with them to get his feet moving. They should be moving anyway, let's see how his first few games fthe season go, contract year, maybe he will watch this seasons play over the break and realise what a potato he was.

I agree,it is too early to make predictions ,let's see if anybody comes in .If we can get a good RW then we might want to put Lucic with Krejci. I know the Krejci -Lucic line was bad against Montreal last year but prior to that point the Lucic -Krejci - Iginla line was a very good one . If nobody comes in I wouldn't mind putting Lucic with Spooner and Pasta.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Lucic-Krejci-Connolly
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Eriksson-Spooner-Pastrnak

Start the year with that and if it doesn't work out put Lucic back with the kids.

As long as Chris Kelly is no where near the top 9 I think we should be good.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Lucic-Krejci-Connolly
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Eriksson-Spooner-Pastrnak

Start the year with that and if it doesn't work out put Lucic back with the kids.

As long as Chris Kelly is no where near the top 9 I think we should be good.

That could be a likely scenario ,don't really want to see Smith with Bergeron .I didn't see enough of Connolly to really speculate where the best fit for him would be. I hope that isn't our opening night roster ,it isn't nearly deep enough.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
A heathy Lucic coming off a terrible year playing for his last big NHL contract of his career is gonna be fun to watch he is gonna be a beast

30-30-60 with 150 pims

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
That could be a likely scenario ,don't really want to see Smith with Bergeron .I didn't see enough of Connolly to really speculate where the best fit for him would be. I hope that isn't our opening night roster ,it isn't nearly deep enough.

Ideally I'd like to see Eriksson in the top 6, but if that's the case Pastrnak and Spooner are most likely separated. Can't see Claude starting the season with them together without a defensively responsible forward.

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Connolly-Spooner-Smith

?

I'm really just struggling to find a spot for Smith. Really don't like him as a player and don't think he fits. Seems like he just makes every line combination he could potentially be with weaker.

HanktheHammer*

You put Lucic in a trade for a D-man(M.A. Vaslic from SJ, perhaps). I rather have Ferlin play along with Spooner and Pasternk than Lucic. At least, Ferlin can skate with the young 'uns.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
On the 3rd line with the kids have DK with Connolly and Eriksson

I keep Lucic-Spooner-Pastrnak together. They were our best line last year after they were assembled and I really like the way the 2 young forwards forced Looch to pick up his skating game

Couldn`t agree more Jean

That Spooner line almost carried the team for the last month. Ya know, appreciate all that DK is and all he has done here but this game is getting fast, and he isn`t close to that. I want speed, look at the top 4 teams left, all can outright fly

Lucic needs someone to force him to skate. DK doesn't do that. Spooner does.

Like the balance of Looch with Spooner and Pasta.

-Spooner and Pasta force Lucic to move his feet and skate.
-Lucic creates a ton of space for Spooner and Pasta to skate and create

I voted for Lucic & Spooner, for the reasons stated above.

A Lucic-Krejci-Whoever line is simply way, way too slow now. They had a nice thing going for awhile, but those days are done.

Marchand - Bergeron - ?/Connolly
Lucic - Spooner - Connolly/?
Eriksson - Krejci - Pasternak
Talbot - Kemppainen - Smith
Next man up: Koko - Phillips - Griffith

I prefer pairing Krejci with his fellow countryman Pasternak, and Lucic with the younger, faster Spooner.
Those 2 combos would have both experience & youth.

Connolly could possibly work with either Marchand-Bergeron or with Lucic-Spooner.

We can't afford a top-9 RHRW, so one of Koko-Phillips-Griffith should ocupy the ? spot.

EDIT: Added Kemppainen and dropped Chris Kelly. Give him a buyout, trade him for anything at all, just be rid of him so the Clod is forced to use somebody else.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad