Do you make a trade for Drew Doughty?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Also did anyone read his comments? He doesn't want to come here. No sense making this deal to have him walk in 2 years.
here has been speculation on social media of him someday playing for his hometown Toronto Maple Leafs.

Not so fast, said Doughty, who admitted to being swamped by Toronto fans during a recent trip to a Toronto Blue Jays baseball game.

"The entire crowd knows I'm there, and all of the sudden it becomes an autograph session with people standing up and down the rows," said Doughty, who was born in London, Ontario. "I couldn't walk anywhere in Canada this year without having to talk about becoming a Leaf. It's just so far-fetched. I don't even know what to say."

gotta link for that little confection?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No I wouldn't trade either for Doughty. If he was a UFA I'd be interested. Rather keep all our building blocks than play the one step forward, one step back game.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If Doughty wants, he can come home as a UFA in 2019. No way we're trading any one of the Big 3 for Doughty.

There is one scenario I would do it.

We sign Tavares, and we have a sign and trade in place with Doughty.

While I would actually prefer Nylander over Tavares (youth years) to get Tavares AND Doughty, I just have to do that. Nylander will command 6-8 million, that money goes to JT. Marleau is 6.5 million off the books as well so a lot of that can go to Drew.

In: Tavares, Doughty.
Out: Marleau, Nylander

The core:

Kapanen-Matthews-Brown
JVR-Tavares-Marner
-------Kadri----------

Rielly-Doughty
Gardiner-Zaitsev​

TOP 5 Players

Doughty
Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Rielly

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
There is one scenario I would do it.

We sign Tavares, and we have a sign and trade in place with Doughty.

While I would actually prefer Nylander over Tavares (youth years) to get Tavares AND Doughty, I just have to do that. Nylander will command 6-8 million, that money goes to JT. Marleau is 6.5 million off the books as well so a lot of that can go to Drew.

In: Tavares, Doughty.
Out: Marleau, Nylander

The core:

Kapanen-Matthews-Brown
JVR-Tavares-Marner
-------Kadri----------

Rielly-Doughty
Gardiner-Zaitsev​

TOP 5 Players

Doughty
Matthews
Marner
Tavares
Rielly

I would be ok with that. However, if Tavares were to sign here, I'd prefer this:

1) Sign Tavares in 2018, convince Doughty to sign in 2019, and if you must lose a big contract, trade Nylander for some type of asset. Resulting in Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Doughty and more assets from the Nylander return.

Another alternative:

2) Sign Tavares and just keep all of Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares, and just develop our own defence from within.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think I may have found a way for us to get Bonds and Griffey, and we wouldn’t have to give up that much.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think I may have found a way for us to get Bonds and Griffey, and we wouldn’t have to give up that much.

It's a long shot but I think we might be able to get Steph Curry as well. Could you imagine Bonds and Griffey setting up Curry, OMG our PP would be unstoppable!

REGGIE DUNLOP77

Jun 16, 2014
Southern GeorgianBay
I really like Doughty, would like to see him on the Leafs...but trading one of our young studs? No thanks, let's stay on course.
Maybe getting a #1 Dman is 'staying the course'how do you know leafs management did not take the BPA available to later flip for there needs like the big hole on defense..

Would think 'the course' is fluid

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Maybe getting a #1 Dman is 'staying the course'how do you know leafs management did not take the BPA available to later flip for there needs like the big hole on defense..

Would think 'the course' is fluid

Lou, in his recent interview with Bob Mackenzie, referred to a five year plan that changes every day. :)

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Wouldn't we say that, given what is public and the length of his contract/ his age, the best comparable we have would be..

So

Young roster player
Liljgren
1st 2018
Conditional 1st based on playoffs or him re-signing
2nd round pick

Lupul at the time IIRC had a breakout year. He wasn't seen as a star, maybe like JVR?

A package like this is more in line with returns for stars in the past. It also allows the Leafs to add to the roster without taking away the "big three" although it does gut the team of depth. This would be a "win now" trade.

I don't see any of the big three being involved in a hypothetical deal.

Pronger had 4 years left on his contract vs. Doughty currently having 2 years left.

Pronger was also coming off leading the Oilers to the finals where he was playing at a much higher level then Doughty has.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't trade any of the young core for Doughty (Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Rielly, Liljegren).

1st rounders + prospects sure. Otherwise, wait until free agency. No rush.

If LA were willing to accept Kadri as a centerpiece for a Drew Doughty trade, I'd drive him to the airport myself...

jayswagger

May 20, 2011
Toronto, ON
I would estimate that LA would want a REALLY steep price. I think you have a better chance of getting him FA.

I think LA would want:

* 1 stud forward (i.e. Marner/Nylander)
* 1 stud defenceman (i.e. Gardiner/Rielly)
* 1-2 Minor League Prospects
* 2 high draft picks (i.e. 1st and 2nd)

Grow from within. I'm not even sure that Bozak / JVR will get anything of value - given how close they are to UFA status.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Doughty team last year missed the playoffs. Why do so many people think he will lead the Leafs to the Cup?
Add his cap, will send the performance bonuses a year later might affect the signing of the players in the future.

The Kings missed the playoffs out of how many seasons with Doughty? 1? 2 maybe when he 1st came into the league?

So because his team missed the playoffs at least once doesnt mean he cant lead the Leafs to a cup? take a walk. You're lying if you say Doughty cant do it again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad