Do you like when teams name themselves after states/provinces?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Hornets/Bobcats/Hornets play out of Charlotte, as do the Panthers of the NFL. So, likely that most people think the Hurricanes are based out of Charlotte rather than Raleigh. No different that most think the Wild are playing out of Minneapolis rather than St. Paul, since the Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves are there.

No issue with teams using the name of the state, so long as they are going to be the only Pro team of that sport in that state. So, Colorado, Arizona, Carolina are fine.

I do agree with Florida not being called Miami. It was the same in baseball when the Rockies and Marlins were awarded expansion teams, both teams opted for the state name. So, it's defensible for the Marlins as they didn't know that the Rays would come into existence. But, the Panthers of the NHL were the 2nd NHL team in Florida.

Also due to the fact that Minneapolis and St. Paul are the Twin Cities with only the Mississippi River separating them. When people fly in to the MSP Airport, 90% of them say they are flying to Minneapolis even if they are ultimately traveling to St. Paul.

Minneapolis dominates St. Paul economically and thus in the minds of most outside the State of Minnesota. If they were separated by significant distance I don't think it would be as big of an issue.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
State or Province names didn't appear to be a thing before the 1960's. In the NHL, all teams before expansion in 1967 were named after their cities. I haven't looked at NFL or NBA, but in MLB it seemed to start in 1961 with the Minnesota Twins (which makes sense since you wouldn't want to choose between Minneapolis or St. Paul). The Saskatchewan Roughriders seem to be the trailblazers as they adopted their name in 1946, before that they were the Regina Roughriders.
Every team in Minnesota followed suit after the Twins. The Lakers were the Minneapolis Lakers.

That also brings up another issue when a team moves and retains it's name that was specifically unique to the city. How many lakes are there in LA? How much Jazz is played in Utah?

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I'll take state names over county names. they did this with our local ECHL team, Gwinnett Gladiators. Gwinnett, named after Button Gwinnett (look up your Declaration of Independence history) is a county in the suburbs of ATL. I thought that was one of the dumbest things I'd ever heard of. they've since changed it to Atlanta Gladiators but the Atlanta Braves AAA team is still the Gwinnett Braves.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Every team in Minnesota followed suit after the Twins. The Lakers were the Minneapolis Lakers.

That also brings up another issue when a team moves and retains it's name that was specifically unique to the city. How many lakes are there in LA? How much Jazz is played in Utah?

The Vikings were established as an expansion team in 1960, played their first season in 1961.
The Twins were the Washington Senators in 1960, then moved to Minneapolis and changed their name to the Minnesota Twins in 1961.

Thus the Minnesota Vikings came first, and every other team then followed suit.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Yes, I should have used the term 'cheer for' or 'support' instead of 'vote for' as I guess it was a lame word to use. My bad. Hey, don't apologize for the length of your post as it makes for an interesting read.

In regard to the size of Montreal compared to Winnipeg you are indeed correct in pointing out how much larger Montreal is. However, in relation to the population of each city to that of the rest of the province, Winnipeg (61%) represents a higher percentage compared to Montreal (49%). The situation with Saskatchewan is much different in that you have 2 cities (Regina and Saskatoon) which are relatively equal in population and neither one has a higher percentage living there than in the rest of the province. If the team were to be called Regina Roughriders it may cause some jealousy in Saskatoon. However, the capital region of Winnipeg has a population of 811,874 while Manitoba has an overall population of 1,328,346 (2017 Q1).

I know you are making the point based on the CFL but suggesting the Bombers may draw more fans simply by having the name Manitoba instead of Winnipeg doesn't convince me that it would occur. The Roughriders draw more fans to their games than the Argos do in Canada's largest city. It's clear the Riders have the best fan base in the league. The Bombers draw relatively well in comparison to other CFL teams but they are not the only game in town. Not only do they have to deal with a fan base that can be fickle when they're not winning but also with our city being in such close proximity to the lakes and cottage country with a short summer. There's also the competition for dollars with the Winnipeg Jets, Manitoba Moose and Winnipeg Goldeyes. Then there's also the Arts which includes the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and Royal Winnipeg Ballet. There are so many options available that it will always be a challenge for the Bombers. However, in spite of all that, the Bombers are relatively successful and have good support. I just don't think someone's going to come down to Winnipeg from Thompson or Flin Flon to watch the Bombers simply because they're called Manitoba. The fans will come because they like football or the team is winning.

Let us remember that the Blue Jays have fans across the country even though they are based in Toronto. They don't have to be called the Ontario Blue Jays for the rest of the province to support them or the Canada Blue Jays for the rest of the country to cheer for them. Wherever possible it makes sense to use the name of the city where a team is based as it provides more of a focal point for people in general in visualizing where the team plays its home games and where they're from when on the road. In some situations where there are 2 cities of relatively equal size in a particular province or state it may be the right choice to use the province or state name for the team but otherwise I always prefer the name of the city for the team.

:jets

I respect your points and this is a great discussion.

I don't think MLB / blue jays could be brought in to the discussion. they have a local population of 7 mill + to draw from for game attendance. plus they are the only team in Canada which is why I was using a small national game as CFL as an example.

The reasons which you assert for attendance issues are the reasons I am hypothetically saying the Winnipeg BB could reach outside the city to connect with smaller communities and draw in more fans. I believe the last time there was an outreach by the bombers it was via buck pierce and was in 2011 when he attended a wheatkings game. I grew up in The Pas and was not exposed to the bombers until I moved to Winnipeg for University. We came to Winnipeg a ton when I was growing up but it was always for shopping or to see a Wpg Jets game... kind of dating myself but ( ya I was there for a few games of Teemu's crazy year :nod: ). changing the name to Manitoba probably isn't the answer but I think they need to do more to include the rest of the province which will in turn generated more revenue and support for the team as they are operating a big budget stadium which they cannot fill and are in a small market.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
State or Province names didn't appear to be a thing before the 1960's. In the NHL, all teams before expansion in 1967 were named after their cities. I haven't looked at NFL or NBA, but in MLB it seemed to start in 1961 with the Minnesota Twins (which makes sense since you wouldn't want to choose between Minneapolis or St. Paul). The Saskatchewan Roughriders seem to be the trailblazers as they adopted their name in 1946, before that they were the Regina Roughriders.

It also makes sense because in 1961 the Twins didn't play in either Minneapolis or St. Paul. Met Stadium was in Bloomington, which is just south of both cities and where the Mall of America is.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The name of the city of Buffalo has nothing to do with buffaloes. From what I understand it was named for nearby Buffalo Creek whose name, in turn was a corruption of the French beau fleuve.

"Fleuve" and "Creek" are about as apparented as "Ocean" and "Pond". I'm not saying you're wrong -- I'm just saying it makes no sense.

If that's the case, that some wild butchering. I can see it.

Well, Buffaloes were butchered...

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
"Fleuve" and "Creek" are about as apparented as "Ocean" and "Pond". I'm not saying you're wrong -- I'm just saying it makes no sense.

Yeah but their logo is a bison anyways .

frankocb

Dawg sez Game ON eh!
May 7, 2015
Future Caniac
Code:
No, because I hate when people think of the Panthers when you say Florida hockey.
No offense Panthers bros, but you don't exactly have the best fanbase or hockey team to represent our state..and as a result, the Lightning will always be tied to the things the Panthers represent Florida with.

Same deal with the "New Jersey" Devils.

Half the people in the state are Philly teams' fans, and half are New York area teams' fans. The team/arena is really close to New York and is in the upper North East of the state. When people who don't live in the Northeast and aren't familiar with the whole NY/NJ/Philly dynamic try to discuss the Devils as if they're "New Jersey's" team and thus anyone's team who lives in the state, it couldn't be more inaccurate.

If you're from the Southern part of NJ like myself, chances are you are a Flyers fan and wish great hockey harm on the Devils!! ;):laugh:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

I'd say when the creek feeds into and turns into a tributary of a river of the same name they're fairly akin

Burchfield_Nature_Center_seneca_creek.JPG

1024px-BuffaloRiverTerminus.jpg

FWIW though, upon further research it's just but one of many theories to arise about how the city got its name

Yeah but their logo is a bison anyways .

Which is also the name of their MiLB team

BuffaloBisons13.PNG

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
No, because I hate when people think of the Panthers when you say Florida hockey.
No offense Panthers bros, but you don't exactly have the best fanbase or hockey team to represent our state..and as a result, the Lightning will always be tied to the things the Panthers represent Florida with.

True bro

Also I love our metro area name

They should move to Miami and be the Miami panthers

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Perfectly off-topic, but it's funny coincidence with the Buffalo case that a (if not the) Finnish hockey town of Tampere lays similarly on a short river between two sizeable lakes with somewhat remiscient geography (albeit in much smaller scale), and the matter where the name originally came from is also very open.

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
It makes sense in a sport like football; the Saskatchewan Roughriders only play 18 games a season, usually on weekends and they attract people from around the province who are able to drive long distances to games. They do represent the whole province. In hockey there are too many games to attract people from long distances on a regular basis (and in northern cities, the weather can be bad for driving). It makes more sense that they really represent their city and not the state/province.
You betcha. Rider Pride is incredible.
I hate it cuz the 'Rider's always beat the Lions when I was a kid, (Lancaster, Reed etc), but you gotta admire the 13th man. Unless he's on the field for a field goal.
(only Grey Cup fans will get that!):laugh:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I respect your points and this is a great discussion.

I don't think MLB / blue jays could be brought in to the discussion. they have a local population of 7 mill + to draw from for game attendance. plus they are the only team in Canada which is why I was using a small national game as CFL as an example.

The reasons which you assert for attendance issues are the reasons I am hypothetically saying the Winnipeg BB could reach outside the city to connect with smaller communities and draw in more fans. I believe the last time there was an outreach by the bombers it was via buck pierce and was in 2011 when he attended a wheatkings game. I grew up in The Pas and was not exposed to the bombers until I moved to Winnipeg for University. We came to Winnipeg a ton when I was growing up but it was always for shopping or to see a Wpg Jets game... kind of dating myself but ( ya I was there for a few games of Teemu's crazy year :nod: ). changing the name to Manitoba probably isn't the answer but I think they need to do more to include the rest of the province which will in turn generated more revenue and support for the team as they are operating a big budget stadium which they cannot fill and are in a small market.

I guess I included the Blue Jays as an example to show that even if you don't live near the team you support, you can still adopt them as your team. I do see where you're coming from and I do agree the Bombers should be visible throughout the province. I believe with the changes in management a couple of years back you will see more done in that regard. I'm also quite sure that with Wade Miller in charge of things the product on the field will contine to get better and once the traffic issues around IGF improve as well, attendance will increase. Although we have a difference of opinion regarding team names based on city vs province/state, I'm glad you support the Jets and Bombers from your hometown of Killarney.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Those from Colorado but not in Denver feel that "Colorado" is more inclusive to everyone in the state and get tired of pro teams in Denver called Denver teams. So if it's easier for those around the state to connect with the team if it's referred to as Colorado.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Those from Colorado but not in Denver feel that "Colorado" is more inclusive to everyone in the state and get tired of pro teams in Denver called Denver teams. So if it's easier for those around the state to connect with the team if it's referred to as Colorado.

Colorado nuggets amirite

Jokic is a beast

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I guess I included the Blue Jays as an example to show that even if you don't live near the team you support, you can still adopt them as your team. I do see where you're coming from and I do agree the Bombers should be visible throughout the province. I believe with the changes in management a couple of years back you will see more done in that regard. I'm also quite sure that with Wade Miller in charge of things the product on the field will contine to get better and once the traffic issues around IGF improve as well, attendance will increase. Although we have a difference of opinion regarding team names based on city vs province/state, I'm glad you support the Jets and Bombers from your hometown of Killarney.

He used Flin Flon as an example. That's a long way to go to see the Bombers. I grew up in southern Mb. & there were a lot of season ticket holders in town that gladly drove 60 miles (100 Kilometers) 8 times a year & hoped they could do it more often.
Regardless of if they were the Wpg. Blue Bombers or used the province in the name the distance they'd need to travel & how ardent a fan they are matters more than the name of the team or if it's using the province or city in the name.
Let's not forget "Koppy" who lived in Kenora & was considered the Winnipeg Jets most loyal fan.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Code:

Same deal with the "New Jersey" Devils.

Half the people in the state are Philly teams' fans, and half are New York area teams' fans. The team/arena is really close to New York and is in the upper North East of the state. When people who don't live in the Northeast and aren't familiar with the whole NY/NJ/Philly dynamic try to discuss the Devils as if they're "New Jersey's" team and thus anyone's team who lives in the state, it couldn't be more inaccurate.

If you're from the Southern part of NJ like myself, chances are you are a Flyers fan and wish great hockey harm on the Devils!! ;):laugh:

I don't know specifics but I doubt it's half-half. Having lived in NJ all my life (both central/south jersey), Philly-area fans are mostly confined to the Cherry Hill and Lawrenceville areas, which don't represent half the state population. The TV coverage reflects that. I didn't get MSG when I lived around Lawrenceville.. and didn't get Philly sports stations when I lived about an half hour east.

I do think it's accurate to say that South Jersey (IMO, Southwest of Toms River) is overwhelming Philly-affiliated while the rest of the state is NY-affiliated. Hockey wise, you're more likely to find Devils fans in North/Central jersey than South Jersey easily.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
The arena also basically sits on the Tampa Bay. And the team started out in St. Pete I believe, so it made sense to make a more inclusive name.

Florida Panthers it has already been said that it's named after the animal, it would make no sense to be called the Miami Panthers. And who cares if they play in Sunrise, even if they chose not to be called Florida, they would not be called Sunrise, they'd be called Miami. I'm pretty sure you can take the people mover from downtown Miami to the arena, it's not like Sunrise is 30 miles away or anything. And there are several pro teams who aren't technically in the city limits. Unless you're one of the morons who hates when people living in a metro are say that they're from that city (no joke, people really do get upset about that, I think they're 15 years old).

New Jersey Devils are obviously named after the Jersey Devil, it would have been really stupid to call them the East Rutherford Devils or the Newark Devils. They probably would have gone with New York before anything else if they didn't use New Jersey.

Colorado, I don't know, I think Denver would have been a good choice. The Denver area teams cover a wide area of the west in terms of viewership, Denver is the main city for much of the West, so it would have probably been more inclusive to go with Denver.

Minnesota, they would rather use the state nickname than the city so that each of the twin cities is included.

I'm surprised that Columbus wasn't the Ohio Blue Jackets, since Columbus isn't usually the first thing that most people think of in Ohio (Cleveland and Cincinnati?)

Here in Nashville we have the Tennessee Titans, but they first moved to Memphis and didn't get a stadium deal there before settling in Nashville, so they've actually had a home in two major cities in the same state, makes sense to go with the state for the name.

I guess there's good reasons all around for choosing state or name when naming a franchise. I've never had a problem with it either way, it's not difficult to look into the why, or to learn where exactly a particular team is located. Do people really just not attempt to learn anything ever?

That's part of it but the Wild organization has really gone out of its way to include the whole State (hence the whole "State of Hockey" marketing campaign). They host "Hockey Day Minnesota" and have games all over the state. Plus, a whole lot of Minnesota's hockey culture comes from areas very far away from the cities (Roseau,Warroad, Hibbing, Eveleth, etc.) Given the culture of the team, it would be really weird to have them named after a city.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's part of it but the Wild organization has really gone out of its way to include the whole State (hence the whole "State of Hockey" marketing campaign). They host "Hockey Day Minnesota" and have games all over the state. Plus, a whole lot of Minnesota's hockey culture comes from areas very far away from the cities (Roseau,Warroad, Hibbing, Eveleth, etc.) Given the culture of the team, it would be really weird to have them named after a city.

You have to be honest though, the marketing derives from the name.

The Detroit Red Wings call Detroit Hockey Town in their marketing. The fact that the Wild know they are the Minnesota Wild, they created the State of Hockley marketing campaign.

Look at the North Stars, they didn't have near the level of planning in their marketing, even with the State in the name, they did noting but complain about the rest of the hockey world within the State causing what they called "too much competition" for hockey fans entertainment dollars. Despite the fact that teams in Canada face the same situation and would have never dreamed of complaining about such a thing.

Wild management saw the big flaw with that line of thinking and based their marketing on a complete 180 of that idea and instead embraced it all, and the fans love them for it!

frankocb

Dawg sez Game ON eh!
May 7, 2015
Future Caniac
I don't know specifics but I doubt it's half-half. Having lived in NJ all my life (both central/south jersey), Philly-area fans are mostly confined to the Cherry Hill and Lawrenceville areas, which don't represent half the state population. The TV coverage reflects that. I didn't get MSG when I lived around Lawrenceville.. and didn't get Philly sports stations when I lived about an half hour east.

I do think it's accurate to say that South Jersey (IMO, Southwest of Toms River) is overwhelming Philly-affiliated while the rest of the state is NY-affiliated. Hockey wise, you're more likely to find Devils fans in North/Central jersey than South Jersey easily.

Obviously I didn't do a scientific (or even a "straw") poll so when I said "half" it wasn't literal.

However, not to be argumentative - but I'd venture to say that Philly area fans aren't just confined to those 2 areas of NJ. You have Burlington County, the largest county, in the southern part of the state. The county contains towns like Marlton and Medford - most likely heavily in the bag for Philly teams. And I'd wager that most of the residents in that county are more apt to root for Philly teams. Same with Gloucester County, obviously Camden county, and probably Atlantic and Ocean counties too. When you're at the shore in Southern NJ, Phillies baseball games can be found on local shore stations....no NY baseball heard on the South Jersey beaches...at least not in my experience!

And what about Cape May County and Cumberland County (with the Vineland/Millville/Woodstown areas) in the deep south of the state? Most likely Philly fans as well.

The middle of the state (Trenton/Princeton and yes, Lawrenceville) is a big melting pot...I work up there and I see Giants/Mets/Phillies/Flyers/Rangers/Devils/Eagles stickers on cars as I commute...fans in that area are all over the map.

Again - just my .02, nothing scientific to prove it.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
The arena also basically sits on the Tampa Bay. And the team started out in St. Pete I believe, so it made sense to make a more inclusive name.

Florida Panthers it has already been said that it's named after the animal, it would make no sense to be called the Miami Panthers. And who cares if they play in Sunrise, even if they chose not to be called Florida, they would not be called Sunrise, they'd be called Miami. I'm pretty sure you can take the people mover from downtown Miami to the arena, it's not like Sunrise is 30 miles away or anything. And there are several pro teams who aren't technically in the city limits. Unless you're one of the morons who hates when people living in a metro are say that they're from that city (no joke, people really do get upset about that, I think they're 15 years old).

New Jersey Devils are obviously named after the Jersey Devil, it would have been really stupid to call them the East Rutherford Devils or the Newark Devils. They probably would have gone with New York before anything else if they didn't use New Jersey.

Colorado, I don't know, I think Denver would have been a good choice. The Denver area teams cover a wide area of the west in terms of viewership, Denver is the main city for much of the West, so it would have probably been more inclusive to go with Denver.

Minnesota, they would rather use the state nickname than the city so that each of the twin cities is included.

I'm surprised that Columbus wasn't the Ohio Blue Jackets, since Columbus isn't usually the first thing that most people think of in Ohio (Cleveland and Cincinnati?)

Here in Nashville we have the Tennessee Titans, but they first moved to Memphis and didn't get a stadium deal there before settling in Nashville, so they've actually had a home in two major cities in the same state, makes sense to go with the state for the name.

I guess there's good reasons all around for choosing state or name when naming a franchise. I've never had a problem with it either way, it's not difficult to look into the why, or to learn where exactly a particular team is located. Do people really just not attempt to learn anything ever?

I imagine Minnesota and Colorado went with those names because their prior teams (North Stars and Rockies) used the state names as well.

I also figure a lot of people assume Minnesota is in Minneapolis because, as I recall, the North Stars were there (or in a suburb that was closer to Minneapolis, I think?).

And that's exactly why they weren't. This town is rather tired of constantly playing second fiddle to Cleveland and Cincinnati.

3rd fiddle. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad