Do you like when teams name themselves after states/provinces?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
It makes sense in a sport like football; the Saskatchewan Roughriders only play 18 games a season, usually on weekends and they attract people from around the province who are able to drive long distances to games. They do represent the whole province. In hockey there are too many games to attract people from long distances on a regular basis (and in northern cities, the weather can be bad for driving). It makes more sense that they really represent their city and not the state/province.

I agree with this thinking. The Winnipeg jets will always be the Winnipeg jets, just like the Winnipeg Blue Bomers (CFL) will always be the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. But I do wish they renamed the Bombers to Mantioba instead of Winnipeg. I do realize this will never happen due to historic reasons and the population divide (city vs province) . I have only lived in Winnipeg for roughly nine years to work and then eventually attended University. My career has moved me back to rural Manitoba as the financial benefits are too good to turn away. Otherwise I have lived in Rural Manitoba my whole life and I can tell you that the outreach from the Bombers organization is very, very limited and its influence in the western area of the province not very good. I found my self noticing that stores in Brandon (other major center of Manitoba) carry more rider gear than bombers for some reason. I think that in terms of a Canadian only league, if it they were the Manitoba Bombers I would feel more of an urge to really get behind them as a provincial pride thing but being as it is Winnipeg's team I am a very fair weather fan. I do enjoy watching them play but I don't go out of my way as I feel they don't represent me as a Manitoban.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm surprised that Columbus wasn't the Ohio Blue Jackets, since Columbus isn't usually the first thing that most people think of in Ohio (Cleveland and Cincinnati?)

And that's exactly why they weren't. This town is rather tired of constantly playing second fiddle to Cleveland and Cincinnati.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I believe the switch from Florida to Miami for the Marlins was part of the deal for their new park.

Similarly, I'm pretty sure that city investment in the team or the stadium is responsible for the following changes:

Phoenix to Arizona Cardinals
Phoenix to Arizona Coyotes
California to Anaheim Angels (Later Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)
Los Angeles to Anaheim Rams

The Rams were never, as far as I know, referred to as the Anaheim Rams. The Angels are also an interesting case. At their inception they were the Los Angeles Angels. When they first sought to move out of Dodger Stadium (which they referred to as Chavez Ravine) their first choice was a new stadium Long Beach, but they balked at the condition that they rename the team to the Long Beach Angels that the city placed on that. When they first moved to Anaheim, the name change to the California Angels was solely at owner Gene Autry's behest. When Anaheim asked that the name of the city be reflected somewhere in the team name as part of the deal to help renovate Anaheim Stadium, the team, now owned by Disney, agreed to it, in part, because they wanted to market Anaheim as a destination city.

We're naming them after the airport now?

Not only that but mispronouncing Raleigh as "Rally" instead of "RAWL-lee." Sir Walter's rolling in his grave.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think the Jets 2.0 were mulling using Manitoba in their name (probably Manitoba Moose). Glad they relented.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Florida makes sense because it's named after the Florida panther. It would be silly to have the Miami Florida Panthers. :laugh:
It is a bit annoying for Tampa though

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
Yes it really bugs me. I wish my favorite team would have been called the Uniondale Islanders. That way no one gets offended.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
No, I don't like it. A team should be named after the city they play in and not the province/state. Especially when you have another team from the same state as you as is the case of the Panthers.

Nightmare1000

May 1, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Would it bother you if they wore shoulder patches with the Canadian and Saskatchewan flags on their jerseys?
It would because its the CFL and of course fans are going to know they are from Canada. Also the jerseys looks great the way the are. Yellow and light blue doesn't go with green at all. It would likely stick out more than even the Flames jerseys.

Nightmare1000

May 1, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
When you think hockey when someone mentions Florida, your first thought is Tampa Bay Lightning and not Florida Panthers?

Did you have trouble with association games as a child?
What I mean is that Tampa Bay Lighting represents the state of Florida better than the Florida Panthers even if they aren't name by the state name itself if that makes any sense.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
For those questioning the Panthers, the Florida Panther is a real animal. Kind of like why the Texas Rangers are not the Dallas or Arlington Rangers. I think most of you know this but in case you didn't, that's why.

They originally were going to call themselves this, but it was simply easier to say Carolina so thats what they went with. I like it, it gives a nod to our friends in the Palmetto state even though very few of them are participants in the team, or the sport of Hockey.

What bothers me, idiots still think the Hurricanes play in Charlotte. I still to this day meet people who see me with Hurricanes gear on and question why Charlotte has two Hockey teams and why they go to Uptown Charlotte to see a Hurricanes game but can't find out when and where they are playing :facepalm:

The Hornets/Bobcats/Hornets play out of Charlotte, as do the Panthers of the NFL. So, likely that most people think the Hurricanes are based out of Charlotte rather than Raleigh. No different that most think the Wild are playing out of Minneapolis rather than St. Paul, since the Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves are there.

No issue with teams using the name of the state, so long as they are going to be the only Pro team of that sport in that state. So, Colorado, Arizona, Carolina are fine.

I do agree with Florida not being called Miami. It was the same in baseball when the Rockies and Marlins were awarded expansion teams, both teams opted for the state name. So, it's defensible for the Marlins as they didn't know that the Rays would come into existence. But, the Panthers of the NHL were the 2nd NHL team in Florida.

mrwirez

Apr 17, 2017
Pitt
Tampa Bay is the body of water and the general nickname for the whole area. There is no actual community named Tampa Bay.

No but the City of Tampa is on Tampa Bay, and if you've ever been there, you'd know of their nasty lightning storms. The name Tampa Bay Lightning is perfect.

. :yo:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with this thinking. The Winnipeg jets will always be the Winnipeg jets, just like the Winnipeg Blue Bomers (CFL) will always be the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. But I do wish they renamed the Bombers to Mantioba instead of Winnipeg. I do realize this will never happen due to historic reasons and the population divide (city vs province). I have only lived in Winnipeg for roughly nine years to work and then eventually attended University. My career has moved me back to rural Manitoba as the financial benefits are too good to turn away. Otherwise I have lived in Rural Manitoba my whole life and I can tell you that the outreach from the Bombers organization is very, very limited and its influence in the western area of the province not very good. I found my self noticing that stores in Brandon (other major center of Manitoba) carry more rider gear than bombers for some reason. I think that in terms of a Canadian only league, if it they were the Manitoba Bombers I would feel more of an urge to really get behind them as a provincial pride thing but being as it is Winnipeg's team I am a very fair weather fan. I do enjoy watching them play but I don't go out of my way as I feel they don't represent me as a Manitoban.

I can never understand this line of thinking. Fans vote for teams in other regions of the country and even across the border in another country. How many people vote for the Leafs or Canadiens even though they have an NHL team in their own region? I can't see someone in Sherbrooke, Quebec not wanting to vote for the Alouettes simply because they're not the Quebec Alouettes instead of Montreal. I can't imagine the Canucks would cause fans of the Leafs and Canadiens located in B.C. to switch their allegiance to the Canucks if the team was called the B.C. Canucks instead of Vancouver. Teams are generally named after a city because that is where they are based. I'm a fan of the Brandon Wheat Kings of the WHL even though I live in Winnipeg and it doesn't matter to me that they're not called the Manitoba Wheat Kings. I'm a fan of the Dallas Cowboys even though I live nowhere near Texas. Fans generally pick a team based on players they like or sometimes choose a team in their own city if they feel loyal to that city but few would not support a team because it's not named after the province or state they live in.

:jets

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
As a Warriors fan, "Golden State" is without a doubt the dumbest name in professional sports. Three other teams play in California, and although it is our state's official nickname, no one calls it that. I guess they were too embarrassed to call them the Oakland Warriors based on the stigma the city mostly wrongfully gets.

I understand it if they're trying to claim all of NoCal as theirs, but it is a terrible name. California Warriors is still awkward, but sounds better.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I can never understand this line of thinking. Fans vote for teams in other regions of the country and even across the border in another country. How many people vote for the Leafs or Canadiens even though they have an NHL team in their own region? I can't see someone in Sherbrooke, Quebec not wanting to vote for the Alouettes simply because they're not the Quebec Alouettes instead of Montreal. I can't imagine the Canucks would cause fans of the Leafs and Canadiens located in B.C. to switch their allegiance to the Canucks if the team was called the B.C. Canucks instead of Vancouver. Teams are generally named after a city because that is where they are based. I'm a fan of the Brandon Wheat Kings of the WHL even though I live in Winnipeg and it doesn't matter to me that they're not called the Manitoba Wheat Kings. I'm a fan of the Dallas Cowboys even though I live nowhere near Texas. Fans generally pick a team based on players they like or sometimes choose a team in their own city if they feel loyal to that city but few would not support a team because it's not named after the province or state they live in.

vote? do you mean support?

I didn't apply my hypothetical reasoning to hockey, I was just applying it to the CFL as an example. It is a National sport for us in Canada and not international. Your Montreal example is sound but Montreal also has 3x the population of Winnipeg. Obviously as I have mentioned previously, the bombers would never change the name as it is historic. I was just thinking of a way for more people in Manitoba to get behind a provincial team and for the Bombers to be able to tap into more potential fans. They cant fill a 33k seat stadium and averaged 26k fans throughout the limited 9 home game season last year . Which isn't to bad considering the size of Winnipeg but in comparison the panthers had a better average capacity % for their home games then the bombers. In direct CFL comparison the Sask Riders are were able to bring in an average of 31K per home game in the same capacity but are in a city of only roughly 223,000 vs. Winnipeg who can draw from a population of roughly 778,489. something doesn't compute or the bombers just aren't doing it right. I know its been 20+ years since a grey cup but there is no reason they cant draw in more support from inside or outside the city.

I'm hypothetically using the bombers as an example that in a small market, making the rest of the province part of the collective via the team name it may be financially beneficial to the organization. that's all, I'm not advocating for change or anything :laugh:

I apologize if I rambled along there lol

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't get why the sabres and bills have buffalo as one of their logos.

I get that your city is named after a buffalo and he'll, maybe there were buffalo there at one time, but if your team is the bills, put a dolla dolla bill on your logo, y'all.

And yes I get that buffalo bill was a thing... was he at least from buffalo? I thought he was from the west somewhere.

Thankfully the sabres switched back to the sabres for their logo. Looked far better than any of the buffalo varieties imo.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't get why the sabres and bills have buffalo as one of their logos.

I get that your city is named after a buffalo and he'll, maybe there were buffalo there at one time, but if your team is the bills, put a dolla dolla bill on your logo, y'all.

And yes I get that buffalo bill was a thing... was he at least from buffalo? I thought he was from the west somewhere.

Thankfully the sabres switched back to the sabres for their logo. Looked far better than any of the buffalo varieties imo.

The name of the city of Buffalo has nothing to do with buffaloes. From what I understand it was named for nearby Buffalo Creek whose name, in turn was a corruption of the French beau fleuve.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
vote? do you mean support?

I didn't apply my hypothetical reasoning to hockey, I was just applying it to the CFL as an example. It is a National sport for us in Canada and not international. Your Montreal example is sound but Montreal also has 3x the population of Winnipeg. Obviously as I have mentioned previously, the bombers would never change the name as it is historic. I was just thinking of a way for more people in Manitoba to get behind a provincial team and for the Bombers to be able to tap into more potential fans. They cant fill a 33k seat stadium and averaged 26k fans throughout the limited 9 home game season last year . Which isn't to bad considering the size of Winnipeg but in comparison the panthers had a better average capacity % for their home games then the bombers. In direct CFL comparison the Sask Riders are were able to bring in an average of 31K per home game in the same capacity but are in a city of only roughly 223,000 vs. Winnipeg who can draw from a population of roughly 778,489. something doesn't compute or the bombers just aren't doing it right. I know its been 20+ years since a grey cup but there is no reason they cant draw in more support from inside or outside the city.

I'm hypothetically using the bombers as an example that in a small market, making the rest of the province part of the collective via the team name it may be financially beneficial to the organization. that's all, I'm not advocating for change or anything :laugh:

I apologize if I rambled along there lol

Yes, I should have used the term 'cheer for' or 'support' instead of 'vote for' as I guess it was a lame word to use. My bad. Hey, don't apologize for the length of your post as it makes for an interesting read.

In regard to the size of Montreal compared to Winnipeg you are indeed correct in pointing out how much larger Montreal is. However, in relation to the population of each city to that of the rest of the province, Winnipeg (61%) represents a higher percentage compared to Montreal (49%). The situation with Saskatchewan is much different in that you have 2 cities (Regina and Saskatoon) which are relatively equal in population and neither one has a higher percentage living there than in the rest of the province. If the team were to be called Regina Roughriders it may cause some jealousy in Saskatoon. However, the capital region of Winnipeg has a population of 811,874 while Manitoba has an overall population of 1,328,346 (2017 Q1).

I know you are making the point based on the CFL but suggesting the Bombers may draw more fans simply by having the name Manitoba instead of Winnipeg doesn't convince me that it would occur. The Roughriders draw more fans to their games than the Argos do in Canada's largest city. It's clear the Riders have the best fan base in the league. The Bombers draw relatively well in comparison to other CFL teams but they are not the only game in town. Not only do they have to deal with a fan base that can be fickle when they're not winning but also with our city being in such close proximity to the lakes and cottage country with a short summer. There's also the competition for dollars with the Winnipeg Jets, Manitoba Moose and Winnipeg Goldeyes. Then there's also the Arts which includes the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and Royal Winnipeg Ballet. There are so many options available that it will always be a challenge for the Bombers. However, in spite of all that, the Bombers are relatively successful and have good support. I just don't think someone's going to come down to Winnipeg from Thompson or Flin Flon to watch the Bombers simply because they're called Manitoba. The fans will come because they like football or the team is winning.

Let us remember that the Blue Jays have fans across the country even though they are based in Toronto. They don't have to be called the Ontario Blue Jays for the rest of the province to support them or the Canada Blue Jays for the rest of the country to cheer for them. Wherever possible it makes sense to use the name of the city where a team is based as it provides more of a focal point for people in general in visualizing where the team plays its home games and where they're from when on the road. In some situations where there are 2 cities of relatively equal size in a particular province or state it may be the right choice to use the province or state name for the team but otherwise I always prefer the name of the city for the team.

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
State or Province names didn't appear to be a thing before the 1960's. In the NHL, all teams before expansion in 1967 were named after their cities. I haven't looked at NFL or NBA, but in MLB it seemed to start in 1961 with the Minnesota Twins (which makes sense since you wouldn't want to choose between Minneapolis or St. Paul). The Saskatchewan Roughriders seem to be the trailblazers as they adopted their name in 1946, before that they were the Regina Roughriders.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I kinda wish one of the PA teams would change their name to Pennsylvania Fliers/Pennsylvania Penguins just to watch the other side of the state explode in rage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad