Do You Like The Current Team As Much As Recent Years?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hyman works his ass off every shift gets involved physically .
Has even had a fight or two.

I agree, he is great addition to any team but he is a motivated entrepreneur and author. He does it well, good for him. I don't expect us to be able to afford him or a discount next contract period is all.

Mo Kadri* JT Kappy AJ took discounts I would say.

Reactions: mclaren55

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
You don't need to tell how hard they worked to get to where they are.
We all work our nuts off.

Ian just saying you don't have to be on hfboards to get dejected as a leaf fan as to what you here .

True. I have a group of reasonable fan friends that I actually talk about things at length with, and some that I keep brief, because there are some who are absolutely off the wall, and I’m sure they have accounts here, and I just haven’t figured them out yet :laugh:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Money.
They are playing for there name on the back of there shirt .
Exceptions
Of the top players
Taveras Muzzin Mo and Hyman

Do you go to work and take less money so that your employer and its shareholders can take home more bank, for the love of the game, or because people love the services you and your company provide? Naaa? Didn’t think so.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
like the team but they are still a bunch of floating butterflies

nothing has been done to toughen up this roster

which means... same results for 2019/2020
If Harpur actually plays he will help with that.
As for the OP this is the most skilled roster(even without Marner) that this time has had in many decades, maybe even ever and we have a real shot to do some damage in the playoffs.

With Marner we are arguably cup favourites.

horner

May 22, 2007
Do you go to work and take less money so that your employer and its shareholders can take home more bank, for the love of the game, or because people love the services you and your company provide? Naaa? Didn’t think so.
Give me break.
The little ships are hard done by.
If they want to win a cup maybe that is what they should.
Name on the back not the front.
Good luck ever beating Boston .

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Agreed, but the owners and NHL negotiated the salary cap in conjunction with the NHLPA

Actually the cap was put into place because the few poor teams couldn't deal with the fact that they couldn't make money like the other teams. but there was no reason why they couldn't put in some sort of luxury tax or something. this league does its utmost to protect the teams that can't put butts in the seats, and not the ones who can constantly. I don't think that's right.

no. but most of us have jobs that you tend to get paid for actually doing ABC - not getting paid hoping they'll actually do ABC.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Agreed, but the owners and NHL negotiated the salary cap in conjunction with the NHLPA

That wasn't a negotiation.

It was the billionaires getting what they wanted from the millionaires by taking away their jobs for a full season.

The cap was forced on the PA through a lockout.

If Ford or Trudeau strong armed any provincial or federally staffed union job into missing wages for 12 months before instituting a 24% salary roll back i'd love to see people sell it as the union accepting the terms through negotiation.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Give me break.
The little ships are hard done by.
If they want to win a cup maybe that is what they should.
Name on the back not the front.
Good luck ever beating Boston .

Chara was worrying about the name on the front when he went to Boston as a UFA?

It's funny how people act like Boston's going to be unbeatable forever and we'll never get over that hump. Or that they built their team in some magical way that we should replicate when they're literally still benefitting from solid moves made more then a decade ago because this sport involves long term planning and luck to become really good.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Actually the cap was put into place because the few poor teams couldn't deal with the fact that they couldn't make money like the other teams. but there was no reason why they couldn't put in some sort of luxury tax or something. this league does its utmost to protect the teams that can't put butts in the seats, and not the ones who can constantly. I don't think that's right.

no. but most of us have jobs that you tend to get paid for actually doing ABC - not getting paid hoping they'll actually do ABC.

99% of us are also replaceable by others in society who share our similar skill sets.

Trying to compare ourselves to athletes or entertainers is where people miss the boat in trying to properly view high end contract negotiations.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

The players agreed to it because they wanted to keep those jobs.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Babcock plays Euro "NO TOUCH" hockey....Who do you think keeps asking for these Euro players = Mikey

He plays no penalty hockey in a league dominated by special teams.

Have you even followed this sport and its evolution over the past 10 or 15 years? This obsession over lack of physical play is hilarious. Clearly some of you have never seen a game below the NHL level for at least a decade.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That wasn't a negotiation.

It was the billionaires getting what they wanted from the millionaires by taking away their jobs for a full season.

The cap was forced on the PA through a lockout.

If Ford or Trudeau strong armed any provincial or federally staffed union job into missing wages for 12 months before instituting a 24% salary roll back i'd love to see people sell it as the union accepting the terms through negotiation.

Or lose all the jobs to right to work states.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
99% of us are also replaceable by others in society who share our similar skill sets.

Trying to compare ourselves to athletes or entertainers is where people miss the boat in trying to properly view high end contract negotiations.

but that's not the point.
as of right now the leafs are making moves as if we've either A: won a championship, or B: extremely close to doing so, neither of which (right now) is true.

I am comparing the paydays of a lot of our core, to those who have won championships (before their 2nd contracts) or were about to, and have won multiple individual awards. this team has done none of that.

So no I don't think i've missed any boat here. majority of people (players included) for the most part get paid for what they've actually done and or accomplished.this trend is shifting towards the opposite and i personally don't think it's good for the league either.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
as of right now the leafs are making moves as if we've either A: won a championship, or B: extremely close to doing so, neither of which (right now) is true.

I am comparing the paydays of a lot of our core, to those who have won championships (before their 2nd contracts) or were about to, and have won multiple individual awards. this team has done none of that.

So no I don't think i've missed any boat here. majority of people (players included) for the most part get paid for what they've actually done and or accomplished.this trend is shifting towards the opposite and i personally don't think it's good for the league either.

Imo handing out big paydays as rewards for cups leads to bigger problems than paying guys based on statistical comparisons. It's how you end up paying a guy like Seabrook 6.8 mil

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

This is a trend that is happening across most pro-sports. People realize there careers are extremely short and that things are trending younger in general. They are going to want to get their pay days as early as they can and get payed throughout their primes more.

It will be interesting how these new financial trends are discussed in the coming CBA talks.

Reactions: Menzinger

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

If you're a young player you're seeing older guys being squeezed out earlier and earlier.

How many Marleau's(late 30's/early 40's) existing from say 2000-2005 in this league?

Fast forward to now and I feel like there is just no comparison.

So if you're not paying high producing 20/21yr olds those big salaries who should be getting them? Wayne Simmonds? Michael Ferland? The free agent crops aren't exactly star studded because of how much the youth is progressing and producing now.

We're paying Matthews elite money. Because he's elite. We could have traded down and not picked him and took someone inferior to pay less money but that certainly wouldn't put us any closer to winning.

If the league didn't have a floor and a cap and be trending towards speed and agility as the main strengths of a team then i'd agree with you and be in favor or more ways to keep the money from the youth. But we do have those...and 20yr olds are out playing 30yr olds so they're getting paid like it.

The guys we're talking about here are elite. This isn't a 60 point Marner wanting to be paid like a 90 point Marner. He's a 90 point Marner wanting to be paid like a 90 point player. If NHL players waited to win to be paid then literally 85% of the league would be on bargain contracts and guys like Ron Hainsey would be on long term deals at huge cap hits. Then that would be the complaint.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
This is a trend that is happening across most pro-sports. People realize there careers are extremely short and that things are trending younger in general. They are going to want to get their pay days as early as they can and get payed throughout their primes more.

It will be interesting how these new financial trends are discussed in the coming CBA talks.

Exactly. Youth is showing up developed and are reaching their peak potential earlier then ever before. Especially the high end guys. It's a great thing but they also need to be paid like the stars they are.

The NFL is the exception but almost works the way it should.

Here's your 4-5 year ELC with some but not all guaranteed to keep you motivated to perform and earn it all. If you suck....we're going to cut you and you'll get the guaranteed portion paid out. If you're great...hold out for the big money deal. If you're neither...ride it out and bet on yourself.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Imo handing out big paydays as rewards for cups leads to bigger problems than paying guys based on statistical comparisons. It's how you end up paying a guy like Seabrook 6.8 mil

And losing a Panarin potentially even before his prime because you locked up your Cup winning core that after 1-2 years of not winning you're going to want to blow up. But you made people warm and fuzzy by locking up the Cup champs at the time. Those same people are salary cap experts in 18 months wondering how you signed the guy they now want gone for lack of performance.

Reactions: Menzinger

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The NFL is the exception but almost works the way it should.

The one issue with the NFL is you then have players who battle though their ELC, want a big payout, but their team won't give them anything more than incentive based contracts that are short term. Leads to top-end talent sitting out for the year; Bell last year and likely Melvin Gordon this season.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Stop blaming player for trying to get paid. We would, and hopefully do, all try to do the same. Blame the filthy rich owners for instituting a cap to keep money flowing at ridiculous rates into their own pockets, and acting like it was something they didn’t want.

Sports are different than most jobs, but similar all the same. The people with the most money and power try to keep it for themselves, and those who sell their labour try to get as much of the pie as they can. Welcome to corporate dominated capitalism.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
We still wouldn’t be playing hockey from the first lock-out if there wasn’t a cap. The cap was non-negotiable. The terms of its existence were barely negotiable.

If the PA was properly organized they'd have kept everyone from Europe in 04-05 and prepared their own PA run league for the Fall of 2006 to go head to head with the NHL's scabs.

This would have all be averted by forcing the billionaires to lose money while the NHL players lived off the revenues of the new league that would have sold well because people want to watch the worlds best hockey players. Imagine TV sponsors paying Gary Bettman to watch scab NHL players....it could have all played into the players hands if they planned properly I think.

Instead the NHL waited them out and realized they had no short of long term plan beyond negotiating. So the take this or else salary cap was put on the table as the first point of negotiation.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The one issue with the NFL is you then have players who battle though their ELC, want a big payout, but their team won't give them anything more than incentive based contracts that are short term. Leads to top-end talent sitting out for the year; Bell last year and likely Melvin Gordon this season.

Right...but both guys are elite.

So you can pay them or move them for good assets. But the player deserves the money as he's elite and if he sucked you could cut him so while elite he absolutely has to be paid like it in a league with a 3.5 year career span on average.

Pittsburgh not handling the Bell situation properly just hurt their own team through distraction. But he absolutely deserved to be paid before ever setting foot back on a field thanks to the CBA giving the team an out the minute he doesn't do well which relates well with the rest of society in that if you don't perform to your wage level you'll be looking for a new employer.

Reactions: robertmac43

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
If Harpur actually plays he will help with that.
As for the OP this is the most skilled roster(even without Marner) that this time has had in many decades, maybe even ever and we have a real shot to do some damage in the playoffs.

With Marner we are arguably cup favourites.

Look up topics from one year ago

you will find the **exact** same rhetoric

and how did it end up... out in the first round

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad