OT: Do you know anyone that quit the Leafs, and what was the reason they stopped cheering for them?

Oleksiy Armyakov

Dec 31, 2017
yes I know many who did to cheer for other toronto sports teams because how embarrassing they played in the past. like my wife. and this play off run wont help either.
maple "laughs" leafs will always be the joke of toronto sports. maple laughs is the nickname is for a reason. our only hope is jays, raptors and toronto fc. laughs are just cursed. sorry

Last edited:

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I don't blame anyone for cheering for other teams. At least we have better time cheering for those other teams that are good and enjoy them playing meaningful games.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Right? For as much **** as this team has put me through the last 30 years its very for me

There's still more to come. Even this core hasn't done much to embarass the leafs yet. They're doing it right now and the future doesn't look too different with the likes of Zaitsev signed long term.

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
My friend became a Canucks fan in 2009 when Sundin went there for his sojourn, although he remained a Leaf fan too.

I remember how hyped he was in 2011 for the finals. I don't hear much about the Canucks from him nowadays though :laugh:

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Its happened quite a bit in Ottawa. Before the Sens it was Leafs, Habs and Bruins that most cheered for. But having a local team has changed a lot of people. That is a special circumstance I guess.

I would say if someone can change who they cheer for, they weren't a true fan (or a die-hard) in the first place.
That's insane. You're a fan of something if you enjoy it. If it's no longer enjoyable you stop being a fan. It happens with TV Shows all the time. Just because sports is marketed in such a way to make you feel like you're part of the team. You aren't.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Right, so in that case you are a fan of the game/sport and not the team. Which tons of people are, but that is not what we are talking about here. So my comment stands true, they were never true diehards of the team.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
:laugh: No kidding.

I remember a few years back a big announcement made by someone here that they were quitting and becoming a Kings fan. I'm sure those Cup wins were very satisfying for him.
They were. I quit because of the snake oil salesmen Burke saying one thing and then doing the exact opposite that set the team back 5 years.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I knew a leaf fan that cheered for them for years, but quit when the Leafs bought out Grabovski.

Of all the things, his meltdown tipping point was when Nonis bought out Grabbo.

My only wishes is that he came back to fandom now that this team is on the cusp of a really special run.

Do you know anyone who completely lost faith, and what reason did they quit on the Leafs?
not quit but us old folks saw the last two games and wondered why we cant train players to show up in the post season
I'm not quitting but I'm embarrassed

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Seen Leaf players quit on the coach but not fans quit on the team.
If people getting paid millions of dollars to care can quit, why wouldn't people who have no rational obligation to care occasionally quit?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I stopped watching during the Horachek reign. I mean why watch a team of guys you know are just placeholders, and you're trying to lose? Sorry I have better things to do than invest any time in that scenario, that's not loyalty in my mind. Give me a couple kids to watch, but I'm not giving ten seconds to a bunch of bums who aren't going to be around and cheering for them to lose every game. See you at the lottery was my only interest.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Many of my friends moved on after the Sundin era. What bothers me is that now they actively hate on the Leafs and mock Leafs fan. I guess it's understandable given the franchise's continued failures.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
I only cheer for the Leafs when they win. I cheered for the Leafs in 2013 and stopped the next few years they didn't make the playoffs. As of April 25, 2018 I am no longer a Leafs fan. Maybe if they make the playoffs next year I will become a Leafs fan once again.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I only cheer for the Leafs when they win. I cheered for the Leafs in 2013 and stopped the next few years they didn't make the playoffs. As of April 25, 2018 I am no longer a Leafs fan. Maybe if they make the playoffs next year I will become a Leafs fan once again.
That's kinda weird tbh...

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So youre a bandwagoner?

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
So youre a bandwagoner?

Not a bandwagoner at all. I have a winners mentality and don't like to associate myself with losers (I believe I cheered for the Leafs in 2014 and a part of 2015 too).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad