OT: Do you know anyone that quit the Leafs, and what was the reason they stopped cheering for them?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I knew a leaf fan that cheered for them for years, but quit when the Leafs bought out Grabovski.

Of all the things, his meltdown tipping point was when Nonis bought out Grabbo.

My only wishes is that he came back to fandom now that this team is on the cusp of a really special run.

Do you know anyone who completely lost faith, and what reason did they quit on the Leafs?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I know a few friends that tuned out during the Horachuk/Babcock's first year, largely because of the losing and lack of interest in any of the games.

But they all came back on board once the team started being good again.

I wouldn't say they "lost faith". Maybe just took a break from watching every single game, every single night.

Does anyone truly ever just lose faith in a team and stop being a fan? Is that even possible?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I know a few friends that tuned out during the Horachuk/Babcock's first year, largely because of the losing and lack of interest in any of the games.

I wouldn't say they "lost faith". Maybe just took a break from watching every single game, every single night.

Does anyone truly ever just lose faith in a team and stop being a fan? Is that even possible?
It is if they weren't really fans in the first place.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

I have neighbours that sport Red Wings flags/bumper stickers on their minivan. I also saw them wearing Sharks and Jets stuff. To me they seem to have nothing but contempt for the city and it's team.

Also the many born and raised (in Toronto) Habs fans must have an element of disheartened fandom.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I knew a guy who was a leaf fan, the outta no where when the oilers started picking up all their first round picks (Even before mcdavid) he randomly became huge oilers fan. Probably thought with all the picks and the leafs sucking back then that he would jump ship to the next super power team. He since got married, moved away and stopped all social media-ing so no idea if he's a leaf fan again or not.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The sports world will always have their fair weather fans. I suppose I was a fair weather Jays fan. After they won their 2 WS + the strike I stopped caring for all baseball in general. Also a personal gripe I have with TOR's parks and recreation.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I knew a leaf fan that cheered for them for years, but quit when the Leafs bought out Grabovski.

Of all the things, his meltdown tipping point was when Nonis bought out Grabbo.

My only wishes is that he came back to fandom now that this team is on the cusp of a really special run.

Do you know anyone who completely lost faith, and what reason did they quit on the Leafs?
Why would you want him to become a fan again after he quit because of a reason like that?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
If one thing is true it's that playoffs bring tons and tons of people out of the woodwork that suddenly seem super interested and claim to be big fans despite not paying attention during the regular season or when the team was bad. It's frustrating.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Why would you want him to become a fan again after he quit because of a reason like that?

It's not that important to me. I have no idea if he ever had a self-realization that that was a silly reason to quit. As was mentioned earlier, some people are endlessly stubborn.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Gotta admit, I stopped watching games during the whole waffle throwing fiasco. Figured if the team quit, I wasn't going to spend time watching them. Despised that team they put together

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Gotta admit, I stopped watching games during the whole waffle throwing fiasco. Figured if the team quit, I wasn't going to spend time watching them. Despised that team they put together
I don't think that's too bad. I'm sure most people stopped watching some games during that low period, I know I did. Would still always follow what was happening or how people were doing on the team but I didn't think it was entertaining hockey.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't know anyone who was a fan and absolutely quit, if someone has done this then they were never a real fan in the first place

that said I know of more then a few LeaFlanders, who live to hate the team, I ask you who needs those types and maybe they should just pull up the stakes go a little bit down the QueenE and cheer for the Sabres

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Watching the losing was difficult and my interest wasn't as high as it was when I was a kid but never stopped believing. I was also working at one of the major sports companies so sometimes you need to do other things besides think about sports.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I never lost faith so to speak

I stopped watching because the way we were being managed was beneath us, we are the Leafs and deserve to be managed properly.

It's not like we are Tampa, L.A, Arizona or Jets... we are the Leafs and I hated seeing us turn into a joke, especially when we should be at the top of the League along with other original 6 teams.

So I stopped giving them my money and or viewership. At least until they put our franchise back at the top where it always belonged.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Its happened quite a bit in Ottawa. Before the Sens it was Leafs, Habs and Bruins that most cheered for. But having a local team has changed a lot of people. That is a special circumstance I guess.

I would say if someone can change who they cheer for, they weren't a true fan (or a die-hard) in the first place.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
During the lowest of lows real fans may tune out and only check the score on their phone or on TSN later that night but real Leafs fans never truly stop cheering for the Leafs.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I had a friend that was one crazy about the leafs since we were small, and in 2007 he told me he was done with the leafs, I laughed it off as I thought there was no way he could cheer for another team, and the next year came all his room, all his Attire became the Blackhawks, I was in total shock and to this day he is still die hard Chicago. I call him Turncoat lol

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Oh same here.

Between Babcock's first year, and the year before he got here (Carlyle Horachuk, I think?), I watched so few games.

I was firmly #TeamTank, and did silent fist pumps everytime the Score App pushed a notification to my phone saying the Leafs had lost again.

I don't think that made me less of a fan - it just wasn't very entertaining to watch back then, and you didn't really learn anything from watching them.

Plus the other sports here were pretty good to watch - TFC were building a strong team, the Raps were looking good, the Jays were in the post-season, etc.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
My Dad left the leafs and started cheering for the Habs when they traded the big M. Frank Mahovlich for those of you who may not know who the Big M is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad