Do you guys have faith in Bibeau as a future #1 goaltender?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Goalie prospects are probably the most volatile commodity in the NHL.

They are tougher to scout and judge because the position is more about mental strength and resilience than technique and athleticism.

Better off paying for an average to above-average NHL goalie than making a long-term plan around a CHL prospect.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
Goalies dont matter much nowadays. Beyond the elite ones, the defense matters much more.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Goalies dont matter much nowadays. Beyond the elite ones, the defense matters much more.

Oh really. You need a elite goalie on every team. A .915 sv% or a elite .923 is the difference of 7.7 goals allowed per hundred shots and 8.5 goals allowed per hundred shots.

Do the math averaging 25 shots per game and you still have a good goalie with the .915 sv% also. Goalies are extremely important.

A .900 goalie just won't cut it with any defense good or bad. A good goalie can cover up team issues that may need fixing also.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He is Pogge 2.0 right now. Of the two I prefer Gibson but both are still just potential. Not even on the map yet.Still young and at least 2-3 years of potential development to watch. I am placing both behind whoever replaces Reimer this year.j

He's not even pogge 2.0. Pogge was once considered the best goalie prospect not in the nhl. Pretty sure bibeau isnt even a top 10 goalie prospect. But the good news is... Goalies are incredibly unpredictable.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think all three of Bibeau, Gibson and Sparks have NHL backup goalie potential, and we'll still need to draft a stud in the position.

It's our weakest prospect position by a long shot.

I think Bibeau has shown flashes of more. He's very much a wild card right now.

Never going to be a # 1 goalie in this league

When will some learn that you can't know things like that about any prospect, not to mention a young goaltender.

I will eat my nacho hat if Bibeau is ever as good as Bernier. Bernier gets severely underrated because of a historically poor season by the team as a whole and a couple flukey goals. Bernier to me took the brunt of Leaf fans anger when he was like 20th down the list of issues we had/people to blame.

Agreed. Leafs fans have a propensity to always blame the goaltender. The demands seem to be that one must be Lundqvist, never have even a mediocre season, to be acceptable as the Leafs netminder.

Oh really. You need a elite goalie on every team. A .915 sv% or a elite .923 is the difference of 7.7 goals allowed per hundred shots and 8.5 goals allowed per hundred shots.

Do the math averaging 25 shots per game and you still have a good goalie with the .915 sv% also. Goalies are extremely important.

A .900 goalie just won't cut it with any defense good or bad. A good goalie can cover up team issues that may need fixing also.

Yeah well getting a .915 goalie is not really that hard. It's getting one that can get .920+ consistently that is the hard part.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Overall I'd say we're lacking in the goalie department.

At the NHL level, we're probably about average. In our farm system, probably below average unless somebody breaks out.

Bibeau probably isn't a top 15 goalie prospect when you start looking around the league. That could change, but there's no reason to expect it to change.

I'd like to see us take a top goalie prospect with a high 2nd rounder or something like that. At that point in the draft, the odds of getting an impact forward or D are very low as well.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He's not a No. 1 goalie in the AHL yet - how are we to know if he becomes a No. 1 in the NHL?

I hope he starts in the ECHL this year. It's mental maturity that Bibeau will be seeking now.

If you read the article posted in the Marlies thread you will see how much Sparks has grown in maturity and leadership from his year in Orlando dealing with injuries and demotion.

IMHO Sparks will emerge as the Marlies No.1 this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad