Do you consider RNH a disappointment?

RNH a disappointment?

• Total voters

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Very disappointed in him, to the point that every time I see his face or that dumb double last name on his jersey I get annoyed.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
hes been one of the classier players in the league that quietly does his job well. He could have easily bitched and complained and wanted out of EDM etc etc after going through 10 different coaches in his career so far. I think he has done a great job. Hes a true professional. Sure he hasn't torn up the league with points, but hes a very good player

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Of drafts between lockout season and 2016 it's Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, and Crosby. So, like 7 out of 12 players are clear superstars. You'd put Hall, and Ekblad ahead of him most likely. He's clearly ahead of Yakupov and comparable to EJ. I'd say he's not average. The median is clearly a superstar and the mean is arguably a superstar if you isolate it to just forwards.

Lafreniere, Hughes and Hischier should all likely be included in this list to be fair..

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
He seems to have redeemed himself the last few years. I mean he was supposed to be a cannot miss prospect and his hype drove up expectation but he has been pretty solid from what i have seen of him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lafreniere, Hughes and Hischier should all likely be included in this list to be fair..
Then I should also include Fleury, Ovi, Rick Nash. Not really fair to judge guys' likely careers that early. Its very hard to definitively tell what these guys cap out as.

Reactions: Voight

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
As opposed to having to play with McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, Eberle, Perron, etc.

Poor RNH, having to play with such inferior talent compared to Rants and Mack.

I think you missed the point of what I was getting at and instead got all up in your feels. I was mostly just saying those were the consensus top 2 players in the draft and they've had almost identical careers in a lot of ways. RNH has benefitted in the past few years rotating between Drai and McDavid and Landeskog has also benefitted by loading up on 1 line with 2 other stars.

It was a pretty weak draft, both of them aren't the superstars you expect from top 2 overall picks. That's all I was trying to say by using Gabe as a comparison.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
He has had every opportunity to be a Perennial ppg player who can skate with the best of them.

Except he seems content on not taking his summers and train like a Nurse or McDavid to improve or enhance their skillets.

He seems just meh...I'll be what I am...type of guy.

The drive to be better then the guy next to you is not in his arsenal.

This is the most annoying trait about the guy.
This assessment is something I agree with most. I remember watching the World Juniors that year and Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele were on a line.

Scheifele was a clear passenger and struggled. Nuge looked like a promising NHLer. Over the years Scheif just simply out-worked Nuge, and that's what has to be frustrating as a fan.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
As far as number 1 overall picks go, yeah I’m sure the Oilers expected better. He’s still a good player and an important part of that team.

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008
He didn’t turn into a superstar like a lot of us were expecting but a defensively reliable top 6 guy that can slot into center or wing while putting up 50-70ish pts is an asset any team would love to have.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think you missed the point of what I was getting at and instead got all up in your feels. I was mostly just saying those were the consensus top 2 players in the draft and they've had almost identical careers in a lot of ways. RNH has benefitted in the past few years rotating between Drai and McDavid and Landeskog has also benefitted by loading up on 1 line with 2 other stars.

It was a pretty weak draft, both of them aren't the superstars you expect from top 2 overall picks. That's all I was trying to say by using Gabe as a comparison.

This is a fair comment. I have no issue with what was said, with the exception of 'Landeskog's career was saved by playing with Mack and Rants'. Do you not see how it would be easy to miss your point? It would akin to saying RNH career was saved by playing with Drai and McDavid - neither would be as productive if they played with lesser talents, but that doesn't mean they'd be lesser players.

Reactions: Connor McConnor

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Disappointing yes, but certainly not a bust either.

He's a solid Top 6 forward, just not a level of player you want from a #1 overall pick. IMO.

Pretty misleading and obviously bias poll options though...

Reactions: winnipegger

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
I remember when he was supposed to be best player from WHL since Sakic and he scored a hattrick in his third game or something, so yes, he's a disappointment, but still a very good player.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
At this point, the hype that gets generated for 1st overall picks is so extreme that anyone that doesn't become a hart finalist is considered a disappointment.
Exactly. Let's say instead he was a third overall pick. Here are the guys that were picked #3 in his draft, the 4 years before and the four years after:

2007Turris
2008Bogosian
2009Duchene
2010Gudbranson
2011Huberdeau
2012Galchenyuk
2013Drouin
2014Draisaitl
2015Strome
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The 2014 pick was actually critisized as many people, probably the majority, including on the Oiler board would have picked Bennett.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
He is a good all around player and seemingly a great team mate. I would say I would have hoped for more offensive development from him but I dont see him as a dissapointment.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
This whole concept about what a #1 overall pick is supposed to be is silly. It is illogical.

You grow up playing hockey and if you are deemed good enough you can be drafted by an NHL team. If you happen to go #1 or #100 it doesn't mean you HAVE to be anything.

Some years a draft can have multiple players who would have been drafted before the #1 in another draft.

There is no law or rule that you HAVE to be anything other then what you end up being.

You can call a particular draft year to be not as good as another year(s) but to expect a certain level of performance is folly.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
This assessment is something I agree with most. I remember watching the World Juniors that year and Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele were on a line.

Scheifele was a clear passenger and struggled. Nuge looked like a promising NHLer. Over the years Scheif just simply out-worked Nuge, and that's what has to be frustrating as a fan.

Interesting. I remember watching the WJC's and being highly impressed with Scheifele's game and hoping he ended up on the team I cheer for. We all have our own analysis preferences.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The idea that willingness to train separates superstars from stars is ridiculous. Almost every professional athlete trains to the maximum extent their body can handle without injury. The only way to train even harder is to get on the juice.
The guy spends his summers chilling and boating with his fam bam in BC, and trains in the gym with his brother....

The drive to be better physically is not his trait.

He has regressed at skating since his rookie season. Edgework,speed, etc etc.. he is shadow of his rookie season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad