Do you consider RNH a disappointment?

RNH a disappointment?

• Total voters

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Drafted #1 overall 10 years ago. His career is a mixed bag. Calling him a bust is obviously not true, but currently he's in his prime and putting up a 60 point pace with a large share coming from the PP. His even strength production is pretty dismal. He compares pretty unfavorably with his #1 overall peers. I guess he blows Yakupov out of the water. To clarify, I believe a disappointment is to not meet expectations for your career. I definitely thought he would be a PPG player and he's definitely not that. Instead his career looks like any run of the mill 2nd line center in the NHL.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
He has been a disappointment this year for sure.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
There was a lot of hype after his rookie season so yeah I’ll say he’s been a disappointment. Still a really good player though.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
He wasn’t considered to be a particularly strong 1st overall pick at the draft. For reference, I’d say he was the least hyped pick since I’ve been on HFBoards until Hischier.

He got lots of hype after his great rookie season. He wasn’t really expected to be an immediate contributor.

Obviously he’s been disappointing for a 1st overall pick, but he wasn’t expected to be a superstar or anything.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Almost identical PPG as Landeskog whose career was saved by loading up on a line with Rantanen and MacK. It was a weak draft. Obviously hindsight 20/20 and this team is disgusting with a guy like Huberdeau instead but that's not how drafting works.

Reactions: doorbag

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Medium disappointment. #1 overall you're hoping for a Malkin type, but he's more of a TJ Oshie caliber player. Still a very good player but #1 overall you're looking for an MVP contender and RNH has never been so much as a blip on that radar.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Not even close, he's been a solid top 6 player that spent a lot of time on some historically bad teams. As others have said it wasn't a strong draft with a clear cut superstar #1. If anything he was overhyped but that isn't uncommon.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He has had every opportunity to be a Perennial ppg player who can skate with the best of them.

Except he seems content on not taking his summers and train like a Nurse or McDavid to improve or enhance their skillets.

He seems just meh...I'll be what I am...type of guy.

The drive to be better then the guy next to you is not in his arsenal.

This is the most annoying trait about the guy.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Very good player,but not great....Seems like a normal Number 1 overall TBH...I mean how many Macdavid,s and Matthews are drafted ....Most drafts do not have these types they have far more RNH level players

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You expect a franchise cornerstone player at 1st overall, regardless of the draft. Anyone who doesn't reach that is a disappointment. Does it make him terrible that he essentially topped out as a 2nd line center? No. But, it does make him a disappointment.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Very good player,but not great....Seems like a normal Number 1 overall TBH...I mean how many Macdavid,s and Matthews are drafted ....Most drafts do not have these types they have far more RNH level players
Of drafts between lockout season and 2016 it's Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, and Crosby. So, like 7 out of 12 players are clear superstars. You'd put Hall, and Ekblad ahead of him most likely. He's clearly ahead of Yakupov and comparable to EJ. I'd say he's not average. The median is clearly a superstar and the mean is arguably a superstar if you isolate it to just forwards.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Of drafts between lockout season and 2016 it's Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, and Crosby. So, like 7 out of 12 players are clear superstars. You'd put Hall, and Ekblad ahead of him most likely. He's clearly ahead of Yakupov and comparable to EJ. I'd say he's not average. The median is clearly a superstar and the mean is arguably a superstar if you isolate it to just forwards.
Yeah maybe I did overstate that...Lol ...I was just trying to be nice..

ASAP Surg

Nov 26, 2009
Vancouver
I was a bit young when he had his rookie season so I took boxscore stats at face value, but was there anything underlying that was telling us that his rookie season wasn’t as good as it seemed on paper?

I was totally convinced he was going to be the best of the Oilers’ young forwards at the time, 90-point guy year in and year out.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. He’s a disappointment. You expect more from a first overall. I mean he’s not the worst first overall pick or even close to it but he’s pretty underwhelming for a first.
Tbh I wasn’t really expecting that much having watched him pre draft. He’s pretty much turned out how I expected.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He wasn’t considered to be a particularly strong 1st overall pick at the draft. For reference, I’d say he was the least hyped pick since I’ve been on HFBoards until Hischier.

He got lots of hype after his great rookie season. He wasn’t really expected to be an immediate contributor.

Obviously he’s been disappointing for a 1st overall pick, but he wasn’t expected to be a superstar or anything.

You clearly don't remember the oilers hype train. They were saying he had the best vision since Gretzky, the wrist shot of Sakic and the defensive stick of Datsyuk.

Crazy how overhyped he was.

Reactions: DaveG and Tebowz

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
None of the options work for me. To be honest there are quite a few games where i don't really notice the guy but he puts up decent numbers each year.
My vote is option D, aka :dunno:

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad