Do you consider RNH a disappointment?

RNH a disappointment?

• Total voters

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Of course he’s a disappointment. You expect a first line player out of a 1st overall selection, not a “he’s carved out a long career” type of guy. He’s like a Chris Phillips - a good player, but definitely a disappointment relative to his draft position.

Especially during/after his rookie season he had. There was Gretzky comparisons and all sorts of crazy things. Good thing the Oilers ended up with McDavid and Drai.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He’s a 2 way center who’s been scoring at like a 70 point pace over the last 4 seasons. If you think he’s a disappointment, you’ve either got unrealistic expectations, or you’re underrating him. He’s not a top end 1st overall pick, but he was never supposed to be. He’s a 1st line forward who plays every situation.

Reactions: Iapyi

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He’s a 2 way center who’s been scoring at like a 70 point pace over the last 4 seasons. If you think he’s a disappointment, you’ve either got unrealistic expectations, or you’re underrating him. He’s not a top end 1st overall pick, but he was never supposed to be. He’s a 1st line forward who plays every situation.
When has he scored at a 70 point pace being primarily used as a center? The only season in the past 4 years (2019/20) he has played at that pace, he's played primarily used as a winger with either McDavid or Drai. That's not how most strong 2-way centers are used.

Seriously, would any NHL team be comfortable going into a season with him as their #1 center? That's a disappointment for where he was picked.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A slight disappointment maybe because he's not really an all-star or a clear-cut first liner, but he's had a long NHL career out of a weak draft.
That draft, the top guys being mentioned were RNH, Landeskog, Hubedeau, and Larsson. Landeskog came as advertised. Very good 2-way winger, future Captain, but not a top end skilled winger. Hubedeau, took a little longer to establish himself, but ultimately came as advertised as a scoring winger.

Larsson was supposed to be a more impactful Dman, but has settled into a 2/3 role overall in his career.

RNH, more of a higher end offensive 2C or a very low end 1C, but not a team changer. Good production overall, but leaves you wanting more.

Best player from the top end of the draft was Scheiffle who was a bit of a surprise at his spot in the top 10.

Reactions: Voight and COHawk

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd say he's a disappointment if you base it on where he was drafted. You shouldn't only be getting a "decent" player at first overall.

Honestly, when I watch Oiler games I don't really see him making an impact. He'll get a point here and there, but he never seems to be a difference maker. If I didn't know he was actually drafted first overall, I'd watch him play and think he's just another 2nd line forward who can chip in 50+ points but not be a top guy on a team.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The reason I made the thread was I watched Oilers vs Leafs tonight. He was a complete non factor. Like, I wasn't even sure he was playing. I don't know why this guy didn't seem to get a man body at any point. I know it's mostly genetics but still. He's just useless on the boards. I dunno. I really liked him back in the Dallas Eakins era and thought he got a raw deal being inserted into that role so young. But it's been 10 freakin years now. He's not gonna get better at this point. Meh

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Disappointing for a 1st overall but alright for a 6M per player.
He was 1C for Oilers before McD showed up. Seems to have lost some of that drive now and has become a complimentary player in EDM.

When he was drafted we expected him and Gagner to be PPG+ 1 and 2C in Edmonton :/

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The only season he paced for 70+ was last season. And didn't he play a large portion of those games on either McDavid or Draisaitl's wing? This year he's got like 11 points at even strength. 11 points in 36 games. If it wasn't for playing on a potent PP with McDavid and Draisaitl, he'd be on pace for less than 30 points this year.

When RNH has to center his own line, he doesn't look very effective offensively. He looks like a low-end 2C who can chip in maybe 50 points, but doesn't really step up when the Oilers need offense from someone not named Connor or Leon.

Reactions: Voight

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You clearly don't remember the oilers hype train. They were saying he had the best vision since Gretzky, the wrist shot of Sakic and the defensive stick of Datsyuk.

Crazy how overhyped he was.

Yeah they were starting to whisper those names regarding RHN in his rookie year. You have to also remember that before McDavid and Draisaitl we also had about half a decade of rockstar Oilers hype and how Edmonton was going to be the next It team. Hall, RHN, Eberle, Paajarvi-Svensson, Gagner and then Yakupov. The team was so stacked that the top college free agent defenseman Justin Schultz had to join them to be the next Paul Coffey.

Reactions: Voight

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yeah they were starting to whisper those names regarding RHN in his rookie year. You have to also remember that before McDavid and Draisaitl we also had about half a decade of rockstar Oilers hype and how Edmonton was going to be the next It team. Hall, RHN, Eberle, Paajarvi-Svensson, Gagner and then Yakupov. The team was so stacked that the top college free agent defenseman Justin Schultz had to join them to be the next Paul Coffey.

i believe they even had a name for them. the fab 5?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He is a bad 1st-overall but not really a disappointment because he wasn't expected to be elite.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I think RNH has been chronically overrated for a good chunk of his career, however I do not think he is a disappointment.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As an Oiler fan the Yakupov and RNH drafts in particular were weak, but if that wasn't the case the Oilers probably don't have Draisaitl and McDavid either, so I'd say from their POV that worked out OK.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
RNH is a good player, but still a good player given his draft position. The first OA should be the best player from his draft year and in the top 10 from that draft, I would say 6 have become better players (Landesdog, Huberdeau, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Couturier and Hamilton)

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
A slight disappointment yes but there have been much worse first overall picks.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
He has had every opportunity to be a Perennial ppg player who can skate with the best of them.

Except he seems content on not taking his summers and train like a Nurse or McDavid to improve or enhance their skillets.

He seems just meh...I'll be what I am...type of guy.

The drive to be better then the guy next to you is not in his arsenal.

This is the most annoying trait about the guy.

The idea that willingness to train separates superstars from stars is ridiculous. Almost every professional athlete trains to the maximum extent their body can handle without injury. The only way to train even harder is to get on the juice.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
The biggest issue with RNH was that he was a bit rushed into the league. He had the skill to stick with the Oilers and looked like a he had first liner potential, but was not physically ready and the injuries seemed to derail his development.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Almost identical PPG as Landeskog whose career was saved by loading up on a line with Rantanen and MacK. It was a weak draft. Obviously hindsight 20/20 and this team is disgusting with a guy like Huberdeau instead but that's not how drafting works.

As opposed to having to play with McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, Eberle, Perron, etc.

Poor RNH, having to play with such inferior talent compared to Rants and Mack.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Don't forget Robbie Schremp. 600 goals, 1300 points baby.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
For a 1st overall pick, projected to be an elite 2 way franchise C, yes he's a disappointment. Still a fine NHLer, obviously not at that elite level he was projected to be. Him, Hall, Yak were just so badly managed.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Of drafts between lockout season and 2016 it's Matthews, McDavid, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Tavares, Kane, and Crosby. So, like 7 out of 12 players are clear superstars. You'd put Hall, and Ekblad ahead of him most likely. He's clearly ahead of Yakupov and comparable to EJ. I'd say he's not average. The median is clearly a superstar and the mean is arguably a superstar if you isolate it to just forwards.
I think EJ is clearly ahead of RNH. EJ was a solid #1 in his prime while RNH has never been a legit 1C in his career.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
TOTALLY disappointed.
do you want him as your first line center? No, he would be a very bottom bin first line center. Or a really good second line center.... HOWEVER, he was a freakin first overall....
Typical Edmonton pick... totally ruined him.
They're so lucky they got McDavid which is like a can't miss type player.

If he was drafted like 10th overall then i'd think he's done well...but 1st overall man.... wow.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad