Do you consider Auston Matthews a Top-5 Center heading into next year?

Auston Matthews, Top-5C?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Yes because Pettersson is not a better player and it's clear to most people who follow hockey closely. Produces less, scores way less goals, barely if at all has an edge in two-way play. Matthews has been a ppg plus player since his rookie season and only hasn't put up higher raw point totals because of injury and a pandemic. He was going to score well over 50 goals and 90 points this year. You should stop pretending like 12 games matter more than the dozens and dozens of other games they've played in their career. Pettersson is becoming outrageously overrated.

Pettersson being a better player than Matthews is debateable given the fact that he is proving to play at a level that Matthews has clearly not shown. This isnt just some 2 week shit, it just shows how good Pettersson is. He is easily a better player now than he was in February both offensively and defensively. It is clear to most people who follow hockey that Matthews and EP are on the same tier, and I have seen plenty of non-Canuck fans believe that EP is better than Matthews, which you homer leaf fans cant seem to digest. Pettersson keeps being labeled as some 65 point player in the regular season, when he was pace for 80 points and 30 goals before the pandemic got in the way. You said Matthews suffered due to injuries, so did Pettersson, he did not play the full 82 game seasons in his rookie year suffering from 2 bullshit injuries from on ice play. The fact is Pettersson has only 3 less points than Matthews overall playoff output. Pettersson is becoming outrageously underrated, downplayed as if he is playing out of his mind when he is clearly just playing to the level he is accustomed to playing. Leaf fans are just overrating Matthews nothing more.

I have no problem with Leafs fans saying Matthews is still better, but to scoff at them not being in the same tier is ridiculous.

I'm not a Matthews lover. I'll take any chance I can get to rip into his contract.

But the people saying EP is better are off their rocker and just riding this 2 week hype train

Riding this 2 week hype train. Then people will he is riding this one month hype train. How about admitting Petterson and Matthews are on the same level. The ones that are off their rocker are those who scoff at the idea that those two are on the same tier and that Marner is closer to EP than he is to Matthews.

Being over a PPG is far more relevant than regular season totals, especially when Matthews is not even a proven PPG player in the regular season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Pettersson being a better player than Matthews is debateable given the fact that he is proving to play at a level that Matthews has clearly not shown. This isnt just some 2 week shit, it just shows how good Pettersson is. He is easily a better player now than he was in February both offensively and defensively. It is clear to most people who follow hockey that Matthews and EP are on the same tier, and I have seen plenty of non-Canuck fans believe that EP is better than Matthews, which you homer leaf fans cant seem to digest. Pettersson keeps being labeled as some 65 point player in the regular season, when he was pace for 80 points and 30 goals before the pandemic got in the way. You said Matthews suffered due to injuries, so did Pettersson, he did not play the full 82 game seasons in his rookie year suffering from 2 bullshit injuries from on ice play. The fact is Pettersson has only 3 less points than Matthews overall playoff output. Pettersson is becoming outrageously underrated, downplayed as if he is playing out of his mind when he is clearly just playing to the level he is accustomed to playing. Leaf fans are just overrating Matthews nothing more.

I have no problem with Leafs fans saying Matthews is still better, but to scoff at them not being in the same tier is ridiculous.
With the exception of the 2018 playoffs Matthews has been the Leafs best player in the 2017 and 2019 playoffs and wasn't the reason Toronto lost. In 2017 he had 4 goals in six games and in 2019 he had 5 goals in 7 seven games. So just because Pettersson happens to be doing better in the playoffs does not automatically make him better then Matthews. He still has a career high of 66 points in the regular season and has not scored at least 30 goals. Matthews has had four seasons of 40, 34, 37, and 47 goals, along with 80 points this past season.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018

I'm sorry man. You are basing everything off a very small sample size. Matthews has been the better player in every step of his career and scores more goals than the playmaker Petterssen had assists this year. It's not a debate. Doesn't mean he isn't a hell of a player still.

Canucks fans seem to do this with every player and it is really unfortunate. Just appreciate having good player without thinking they are the best player in the league. Do the same thing with Hughes.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Riding this 2 week hype train. Then people will he is riding this one month hype train. How about admitting Petterson and Matthews are on the same level. The ones that are off their rocker are those who scoff at the idea that those two are on the same tier and that Marner is closer to EP than he is to Matthews.

Being over a PPG is far more relevant than regular season totals, especially when Matthews is not even a proven PPG player in the regular season.

huh?!

He's been PPG every season outside his rookie season....He's over PPG throughout his career.

Pettersson had only 19 more points than Matthews had goals last year... So no, it's not entirely crazy for people not to put them on the same level. Some people prefer to have the sample size to back it up.

I don't really care if people do, to be honest. Since I expect 'ol Petey to actually prove he warrants being on that level next season anyway. But I don't think it's egregious for some to have Matthews a tier ahead. Eichel and Matthews both have put up the actual numbers, while Petey has had a very good playoffs, he still doesn't have the sample size to back it up.

Matthews got the same treatment when he wasn't proven as well.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Debateable. In terms of goal scoring and offence generated, no question top 5. All around, (I'm a huge Matthews fan) imho currently mcdavid, MacKinnon, (arguable on these next two) barkov, Bergeron, and maaaaayyyyybbbbeeeee ROR would be ahead of him in terms of complete players currently. If Matthews can work a bit more in his own zone (he's not bad, but fairly average at defending) then, yes, he would be a top 5 guy. He's smart and big so there's no reason to believe that won't happen.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I'm sorry man. You are basing everything off a very small sample size. Matthews has been the better player in every step of his career and scores more goals than the playmaker Petterssen had assists this year. It's not a debate. Doesn't mean he isn't a hell of a player still.

Canucks fans seem to do this with every player and it is really unfortunate. Just appreciate having good player without thinking they are the best player in the league. Do the same thing with Hughes.

Again there is no problem for me if you believe Matthews is the better player.

Pettersson just went through two in a half rounds at this point, this isnt just some small sample size. He has proven he is a big time player since his SHL days. The fact that he is doing this good in his sophomore year and first time in the playoffs is a fantastic achievement given he plays on the top line to boot.

The fact is they are on the same tier here. You leaf fans need to recognize this.

Just because I view Pettersson a bit better than Matthews does not mean I feel he is the best player in the league. For example, Crosby is still better.

Dont put words out of context.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not a Matthews lover. I'll take any chance I can get to rip into his contract.

But the people saying EP is better are off their rocker and just riding this 2 week hype train.

For next season I'd probably give him #6 at best at worst #8. McDavid, Mackinnon, Draisaitl, Crosby and Malkin being ahead of him (for next season) and Bergeron being one up for debate as an argument could be made depending on how much someone values defense and playoff acumen vs goalscoring. Eichel is the other that is debatable as they have similar production, but again its an argument of excellent goalscoring with elite linemates and an offensive oriented playoff team vs being the solo threat on your bottom feeder team. Strong argument for either, can't go wrong either way until one of them truly seperates himself.

I'd probably give Matthews the nod for the #6 spot next year.

As good as Barkov, Aho, Point and Pettersson are, they aren't on this level yet. Especially Pettersson, he needs to have a 70 point or PPG season before being declared a top 5 center, the potential is there but it needs to manifest into regular season results before that crown is bestowed.

Leaf fans tried to pull the same crap while Matthews was on his ELC and overrate their star by declaring Matthews one of the league's top centers even though he hadn't had a 70 point season to his name. Didn't fly then, doesn't fly now. In my eyes there needs to be tangible proof as to why youre the best in the league and 65 point seasons ain't it.

I don't see any way Point is not in the conversation for a top-5 center in the league.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Pettersson just went through two in a half rounds at this point, this isnt just some small sample size. He has proven he is a big time player since his SHL days. The fact that he is doing this good in his sophomore year and first time in the playoffs is a fantastic achievement given he plays on the top line to boot.

The fact is they are on the same tier here. You leaf fans need to recognize this.

Just because I view Pettersson a bit better than Matthews does not mean I feel he is the best player in the league. For example, Crosby is still better.

Even before the playoffs started there was some Canucks fans who thought Pettersson was already better then Matthews and should be ranked ahead of him. So you can see why Leafs fans are saying it's too early to claim something like that.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
huh?!

He's been PPG every season outside his rookie season....He's over PPG throughout his career.

Pettersson had only 19 more points than Matthews had goals last year... So no, it's not entirely crazy for people not to put them on the same level. Some people prefer to have the sample size to back it up.

I don't really care if people do, to be honest. Since I expect 'ol Petey to actually prove he warrants being on that level next season anyway. But I don't think it's egregious for some to have Matthews a tier ahead. Eichel and Matthews both have put up the actual numbers, while Petey has had a very good playoffs, he still doesn't have the sample size to back it up.

Matthews got the same treatment when he wasn't proven as well.

Fair enough, however this is the first time he amassed 80 points, so lets not act like he has shown beastly point production in the regular season.

Matthews had the better regular season. Petterson had the better playoff season. Being more productive in the playoffs is far more impressive than being more productive in the regular season.

Again read what I said. I said those who scoff at the idea of them being on the same tier are ridiculous. If Leaf fans dont want to put them on the same tier because of regular season output, all the more power to them, just dont be scoff at the idea that they are on the same tier.

2 in a half playoff rounds is a good enough same size when you compare Petterssons first playoffs to Matthews total output.

Pettersson was on pace for 80 points btw.

Tbf, I only feel Pettersson is slightly better rn, not by much.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Even before the playoffs started there was some Canucks fans who thought Pettersson was already better then Matthews and should be ranked ahead of him. So you can see why Leafs fans are saying it's too early to claim something like that.

Matthews definitely had a edge over EP before the playoffs, however EP has closed the edge with his dominant post-season play.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Fair enough, however this is the first time he amassed 80 points, so lets not act like he has shown beastly point production in the regular season.

Matthews had the better regular season. Petterson had the better playoff season. Being more productive in the playoffs is far more impressive than being more productive in the regular season.

Again read what I said. I said those who scoff at the idea of them being on the same tier are ridiculous. If Leaf fans dont want to put them on the same tier because of regular season output, all the more power to them, just dont be scoff at the idea that they are on the same tier.

2 in a half playoff rounds is a good enough same size when you compare Petterssons first playoffs to Matthews total output.

Pettersson was on pace for 80 points btw.

Tbf, I only feel Pettersson is slightly better rn, not by much.
The only reason Matthews had just 80 points and nothing more is because the regular season ended early due to a global pandemic. He would have finished with 50+ goals and 90+ points.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
For all Matthews' skill there is something about his game I just don't like. I've got MacKinnon, Crosby, McDavid, and Bergeron clearly ahead of him on the list of top centers, which leaves one spot for (in no particular order) Matthews, Draisatl, Petterson, Scheifele, Malkin, Backstrom, O'Reilly, and Eichel to round out the top five. Not sure there is an objective clear-cut favourite out of those guys right now but for me it's not Matthews.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I say yes.

Centers only:

2019/2020:
Points/gp = 9th (only 0.02 behind 6th)
Goals /gp = 2nd

2018/2019:
Points/gp = 9th
Goals/gp = 4th

Zibanejad was the only C with a better goal/gp than Matthews, and I don't really anticipate him having the same success next year.

From a Point/gp perspective, the following players were ahead of Matthews this year that I don't think will be next year: Malkin (age), Zibanejad (had a career year most likely), Stamkos (age), Crosby (age).

I would expect Matthews to have the best goal totals for Centers next year, and be top-5 in points. No way that does not make him a top-5 Center.

Ehh... center has a lot of other expected functions that aren't scoring goals though (although its definitely nice). If he was a winger, sure 'lots of goals' would catapult him near the top. Bergeron is (in general) a 60 something point player, and I doubt you'd find almost anyone who would argue hes not one of the best in the NHL

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018

That is fair. I don't have Petey in my top 10 Centers. I'd have Point, Eichel, Aho, Schiefele, Barkov, etc. All ahead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad