Do you consider Auston Matthews a Top-5 Center heading into next year?

Auston Matthews, Top-5C?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
In terms of other players who play Center this past season Matthews lead them in goals scored with 47, so he should be in the conversation to be in the top 5.
In terms of other NHL players Matthews wasnt even top 60 (?!?!) leaguewide in assists. So he shouldnt even be in the conversation for a top 30 center.

See how easy that is?

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I say yes.

Centers only:

2019/2020:
Points/gp = 9th (only 0.02 behind 6th)
Goals /gp = 2nd

2018/2019:
Points/gp = 9th
Goals/gp = 4th

Zibanejad was the only C with a better goal/gp than Matthews, and I don't really anticipate him having the same success next year.

From a Point/gp perspective, the following players were ahead of Matthews this year that I don't think will be next year: Malkin (age), Zibanejad (had a career year most likely), Stamkos (age), Crosby (age).

I would expect Matthews to have the best goal totals for Centers next year, and be top-5 in points. No way that does not make him a top-5 Center.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Possibly. The only three that I have conclusively over him are McDavid, Crosby, and Mackinnon. I think he's in that next group with Tavares, Draisaitl, Bergeron, Aho, Eichel, and maybe a half dozen others. Based on this past season - yeah, Matthews is probably closer to the top of that second tier and breaks in the top five. More generally (going into next season), I think he's at least middle of the pack, so comfortably top-ten.

Reactions: viper0220

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I guess he's in the conversation behind McDavid, Draisaitl and MacKinnon. Tough to separate guys like Bergeron, Barkov, Eichel, Matthews, Crosby, Malkin and potentially even Aho, O'Reilly and Couturier. I'd personally prefer most of them to Matthews though due to two-way play and leadership abilities.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He's in the convo at least.

Why I voted yes.

There are some guys I have as being unquestionably better, and some guys who I think he's in the discussion with.

He can make the argument easier by just continuing to do what he did, or he can make it easier by not doing as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No.

McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Eichel, Draisaitl, Pettersson all are easily better. There are arguments for one or two others, as well.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
No.

McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Eichel, Draisaitl, Pettersson all are easily better. There are arguments for one or two others, as well.

would love to understand your definition of easily. Beyond the top 3 arguments could be made for 7 guys to be placed in different orders and not be wrong.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad