Do you consider Auston Matthews a Top-5 Center heading into next year?

Auston Matthews, Top-5C?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I guess when your career high is in the 80 point range, 95 points seems silly. But 95 points isnt crazy to many Elite NHLers
Matthews only finished with 80 points due to the regular season being suspended because of a global pandemic. If he was to score 56 goals those would have added to his point totals and got him over 90+ this season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matthews only finished with 80 points due to the regular season being suspended because of a global pandemic. If he was to score 56 goals those would have added to his point totals and got him over 90+ this season.

It does kind of suck the season ended. Would have been interesting to see whether Matthews would have broken Vaive's record or not.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It does kind of suck the season ended. Would have been interesting to see whether Matthews would have broken Vaive's record or not.
I agree because he was on track to break it and worst case if he didn't he still would have scored at least 50+ goals which would have still been a great accomplishment. So who knows what the race for the Rocket Richard would have been, because everyone lost out on Matthews, Ovechkin, and Pastrnak scoring at least 50 goals this season.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It seems Leaf fans have this obsession of playing the victim complex card every time anyone ranks EP over Matthews.

What is this nonsense about 3-4 years of sample size, when Matthews finally hit 80 points for the first time in his career.

The fact that you two think EP and Marner is closer in levels compared to EP and Matthews is hot garbage.

EP was on pace for 30+ Goals and 80 points before the pandemic started.

Embarrassing using that top 30 list rank given how ROR is ranked below Marner.

Stop using regular season point totals over actual post season importance.

EP right now is a better player than he was in February.

EP and Matthews are on the same tier, get over it.

Embarrassing hot takes over and over from Leaf fans.
Yes because Pettersson is not a better player and it's clear to most people who follow hockey closely. Produces less, scores way less goals, barely if at all has an edge in two-way play. Matthews has been a ppg plus player since his rookie season and only hasn't put up higher raw point totals because of injury and a pandemic. He was going to score well over 50 goals and 90 points this year. You should stop pretending like 12 games matter more than the dozens and dozens of other games they've played in their career. Pettersson is becoming outrageously overrated.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes because Pettersson is not a better player and it's clear to most people who follow hockey closely. Produces less, scores way less goals, barely if at all has an edge in two-way play. Matthews has been a ppg plus player since his rookie season and only hasn't put up higher raw point totals because of injury and a pandemic. He was going to score well over 50 goals and 90 points this year. You should stop pretending like 12 games matter more than the dozens and dozens of other games they've played in their career. Pettersson is becoming outrageously overrated.
Let's not forget that in Matthews rookie season he finished tied for 2nd in goals scored with 40 and was a real threat to win the Rocket Richard Trophy because that season Sidney Crosby won it with just 44 goals scored.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I mean Draisaitl is 2 years older and look where he was 2 years ago. Not saying development is linear but i think Draisaitl is far closer to being a finished product (I actually doubt he'll ever put up another season like the one he just had) than what Matthews is, especially since Matthews is finally playing under a coach that gives him the icetime, opportunity and usage that a player of his caliber should be getting.
The same can be said for MacKinnon, he took time to break out and look at him now.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Up until the 2017-18 season when MacKinnon was a finalist for the Hart Trophy, Matthews already had a better first, second, and third season then him when you look at his goals and point totals.
Yeah exactly. Like many have said, development isn’t always linear, but I think Matthews has all the tools to compete with MacKinnon to be a top 2/3 C in the league. He took huge strides defensively this year, and physically in the playoffs. His future is bright.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah exactly. Like many have said, development isn’t always linear, but I think Matthews has all the tools to compete with MacKinnon to be a top 2/3 C in the league. He took huge strides defensively this year, and physically in the playoffs. His future is bright.
Who knows what Sheldon Keefe will do with the line combinations next season, but I like to see Matthews play 5v5 with Marner from the first game. While Matthews played great with Nylander and Hyman, I think Marner was the best player who he could be on a line with.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Connor McDavid
Nathan MacKinnon
Sidney Crosby

Matthews come in the next tier with Eichel, Draisatl, Pettersson, Bergeron, Aho, Barkov. So yeah, he might be.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I do like all the posts saying Matthews isn't in the top 5 because he's not a complete player while the other half have Draiselke in their top 5.

McDavid, Crosby, MacKinnon, Matthews, Bergeron for me. Order after McDavid isn't super important to me.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Well the 3 ahead of him for sure are McDavid, MacKinnon and Crosby, so pretty much it wouldn't be hard to say he's clearly 4th. Not top 5 is tough to justify but on HF it's no real surprise,

4 ahead of him for sure, add Drai. Then you have Berg/Eichel/Malkin (3 off the top of my head) and I’m sure someone can make a debate for 1 being ahead of him. So that’s him potentially out of the top 5. He’s certainly not clearly 4th

edit: I actually completely agree with the ratio of the poll rn because I have no doubt people can put a solid argument to have him 5th

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
What matters most? The Stanley Cup!

Playoff career :
Matthews 19 points in 25 games, never won a single playoff series in 5 tries.
Petterson 16 points in 12 games, won two playoff series and is playing his third in career right now.
4 tries, but point still stands

2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not sure you know what "easily" means. You seem to be confusing it with "from my biased perspective".

If you ask someone without your biases they might identify a guy or two who is probably not perceived as universally better. EP and Eichel don't have very strong cases statistically. EP actually has no case at all beyond HF magical eye tests.

What's my biased perspective? Humor me. I've heard it all.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
No and nothing outside of personal opinion supports him being here either. The overrating of Auston Matthews persists and that doesn't mean he isn't really good and has the potential to be there but give me a break.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews was pacing for great totals this past season, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't become top-5 soon enough. It's just that there's so much competition at his position, that he can get a bit overshadowed.

It's not hate, just a hyper-competitive position

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews was pacing for great totals this past season, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't become top-5 soon enough. It's just that there's so much competition at his position, that he can get a bit overshadowed.

It's not hate, just a hyper-competitive position
Since Matthews lead all NHL Centers with 47 goals this past season, you don't think that's something he could do again and keep him in the discussion among the top 5 players at that position.

Reactions: Papi 4 Hart

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Don't really see an argument for any player being better than him who is not named Mcdavid, Mackinnon, Crosby or Draistl.

So ya.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Since Matthews lead all NHL Centers with 47 goals this past season, you don't think that's something he could do again and keep him in the discussion among the top 5 players at that position.
Sure he can. Again, I said I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes top-5 soon. It could be next year. If he keeps it up though.

But who knows what happens in the future

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
This is how I tier the top 10 Cs going into next season

McDavid
Mackinnon
----
Crosby
Draisaitl
Matthews
Malkin
Pettersson
Eichel
----
Aho
Bergeron
Barkov

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'm not a Matthews lover. I'll take any chance I can get to rip into his contract.

But the people saying EP is better are off their rocker and just riding this 2 week hype train.

For next season I'd probably give him #6 at best at worst #8. McDavid, Mackinnon, Draisaitl, Crosby and Malkin being ahead of him (for next season) and Bergeron being one up for debate as an argument could be made depending on how much someone values defense and playoff acumen vs goalscoring. Eichel is the other that is debatable as they have similar production, but again its an argument of excellent goalscoring with elite linemates and an offensive oriented playoff team vs being the solo threat on your bottom feeder team. Strong argument for either, can't go wrong either way until one of them truly seperates himself.

I'd probably give Matthews the nod for the #6 spot next year.

As good as Barkov, Aho, Point and Pettersson are, they aren't on this level yet. Especially Pettersson, he needs to have a 70 point or PPG season before being declared a top 5 center, the potential is there but it needs to manifest into regular season results before that crown is bestowed.

Leaf fans tried to pull the same crap while Matthews was on his ELC and overrate their star by declaring Matthews one of the league's top centers even though he hadn't had a 70 point season to his name. Didn't fly then, doesn't fly now. In my eyes there needs to be tangible proof as to why youre the best in the league and 65 point seasons ain't it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad