Do you believe in Frederik Andersen? Would you re-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I would rather see someone making base salary and be just as effective. I mean before the last game started he was .896 which is absolutely garbage for a starter on a good team. Hell even Koskinen had .900

Reactions: LeafsRus

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
Do you guys believe in Freddy? I feel he is way out of position (especially when recovering for rebounds) and generally the worst goalie on the ice. He's rocking his sub .900 save % while Campbell is a rocking a .923 save % with the same D.

He looks to me like he's declining, and I definitely do not want him as our starter moving forward with him being a UFA and looking for a payday this offseason, not to mention his playoff collapses in big games. It's almost guaranteed he'll give at least 1 bad goal (usually more) in every big playoff game.

I know the Leafs get a lot of blame for their defence, but I think a big part of why it's looked so bad in the past was every decent chance would be a goal, making the defence look worse.

What are your thoughts on him?
No. He's playing well the last few games but i would not re- sign

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Campbell is a good goalie, I know he's never been a starter but he's never had a chance. Fun fact: Campbell had a higher save percentage than Quick every year he was there and a better save percentage than Andersen every year he was here (to date).

He's even played 31 games for LA in the 18-19 season and managed a .928 save %, Quick that same year played 46 games and had a .888 save percentage for comparison.

I'd even argue that it's harder as a backup because you don't get time and reps to get into your groove. You get a start here and then another one maybe a week or 2 later, and the odd game where you have to come in cold because the starter got pulled.

Imagine Freddy as the backup. He stinks it up at the beginning of every season, he would never have time to find his game and would probably never be a regular NHL goalie.

Get a capable backup and run them 1-2.
We have no idea if Campbell can handle the workload. That's my main issue. Hes a capable goalie but far from proven. You absolutely need insurance if you're making Campbell the no.1

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
2018 game 7

2019 game 7

2020 game 5

Hellll no i would not resign him at this point. If he goes somewhere else we might get to play him in a game 7.
I'm on the fence about this because when Andersen is on his game he's finished 4th in the Vezina Trophy voting during the 2017-18 Season. Plus could Jack Campbell or anyone else do any better if they are replacing him as the #1 Goalie?

However I also remember those bad goals he allowed those Game 7's against Boston and that Game 5 against Columbus.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Freddy has never been able to perform to the needed level in the playoffs for us and has let in back breaking goals as evidenced by those videos posted by Dave92. Add his poor in-season form from last year and after the Columbus series I was ready to move on. With an existing contract of 5M and likely desire to earn more than that it doesn't even make sense from the cap side to try and entertain bringing him back. I'm ready to look at Campbell and another goalie starting next year.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If we get him at the right price then yes. Otherwise they should go with a 1A-1B system

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Freddy has never been able to perform to the needed level in the playoffs for us and has let in back breaking goals as evidenced by those videos posted by Dave92. Add his poor in-season form from last year and after the Columbus series I was ready to move on. With an existing contract of 5M and likely desire to earn more than that it doesn't even make sense from the cap side to try and entertain bringing him back. I'm ready to look at Campbell and another goalie starting next year.
Even when you look at his time with Anaheim he was their #1 Goalie when the Ducks blew a 3-2 series lead against the Blackhawks in the 2015 Western Conference Final and against Nashville in a 2016 First Round series.

So when Toronto blew that 3-2 series lead against Boston in the 2019 playoffs it wasn't the first time where Andersen has been apart of something like that.

TMLisSRYinGerman

Aug 4, 2020
I would wait until closer to the trade deadline and then it depends on his play and if we get good offers. If he is not better then Campbell and a decent offer is on the table I would maybe cash in before losing him for nothing in the summer. Keep in mind only if we get a Campbell like goalie back in the deal or through another trade.

In the summer I think I would not resign as I think he is not worth his salary with his play.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The answer is yes if its a contract we can handle and its not very long in term. Freddy could come back 1 year at a time. Great goalie. Same ones saying no probably wanted Pietrangelo. Who we could never afford and were never in the running for.
Who is going to replace him for those saying no? Jack Campbell? Ok good.Then who is the back up that gives the same duo quality that we have now? Let me say in advance, good luck and happy hunting trying to find it.

Anyways the Leafs know how good he is. This thread likely isn’t going to change their minds right

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would wait until closer to the trade deadline and then it depends on his play and if we get good offers. If he is not better then Campbell and a decent offer is on the table I would maybe cash in before losing him for nothing in the summer. Keep in mind only if we get a Campbell like goalie back in the deal or through another trade.

In the summer I think I would not resign as I think he is not worth his salary with his play.
Think about what you are saying. I don’t want a obscure prospect and a couple stinking picks replacing a quality goalie. His long term numbers speak for themselves.
Around here he’s traded and loved from save to goal. That was five hole,trade the bum, that was top left,trade the bum, is he made of rubber there shouldn’t have been a rebound,trade him and on and on :)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t care about it actually, it will play out its own way in the off season. Lets just get a shutout tonight freddy

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Yes, no.

I think Andersen's good enough to give you a shot. If that doesn't clear your bar, well, "just get a Vezina contender lol" isn't really an actionable strategy.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because the #1’s fall right out of trees don’t they. Who are these # 1 goalies you are getting?
It's also logical to say that Andersen has been the Leafs best Goalie who has played like a #1 since they had Ed Belfour. So were going back to a time when they had Andrew Raycroft, Vesa Toskala, Jonas Gustavsson, and Jonathan Berneir. Besides them I would say their other Goalies who they had like James Reimer and J.S. Giguere were decent, however they were not playing at the level we have seen Andersen at.

Reactions: saltming

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It's also logical to say that Andersen has been the Leafs best Goalie who has played like a #1 since they had Ed Belfour. So were going back to a time when they had Andrew Raycroft, Vesa Toskala, Jonas Gustavsson, and Jonathan Berneir. Besides them I would say their other Goalies who they had like James Reimer and J.S. Giguere were decent, however they were not playing at the level we have seen Andersen at.
Not even close. I agree a hundi

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I also forgot to mention Justin Pogge and the 7 career games he played in Toronto and Martin Gerber who played 12 career games he played in Toronto. It's also a coincdedence that both played for the Maple Leafs during the 2008-09 Season.
We would have been a non playoff team without Freddy. He was and still is one of our MVP’s.
Nothing i would like better than Having Freddy/Campbell both signed long term.
Dubas would be wise to keep Freddy. He’s a goalie so age isn’t as big a factor when signing them. He will likely just get more composed over the next 4 years.

Edit: Freddy needs to adjust to early games with no shots against him ha. It must seem strange to him the way the team is playing defensively now. He needs to stay focused and the PK’ers need to ckose the gap on the point shot better even strength and powerplay. His numbers are going to get better significantly coming here. Just can see he is in the zone now again. 27 shots against per now

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Edit: Freddy needs to adjust to early games with no shots against him ha. It must seem strange to him the way the team is playing defensively now. He needs to stay focused and the PK’ers need to ckose the gap on the point shot better even strength and powerplay. His numbers are going to get better significantly coming here. Just can see he is in the zone now again. 27 shots against per now
That's almost like a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation. When they only allowed 1 shot on goal in the 1st period against Calgary was great to see, however since the Flames scored early in the 2nd period was that from a lack of shots against or would it have happened no matter what?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That's almost like a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation. When they only allowed 1 shot on goal in the 1st period against Calgary was great to see, however since the Flames scored early in the 2nd period was that from a lack of shots against or would it have happened no matter what?
I don’t know, the switch was thrown between periods in Calgary. They done the same thing in a win against the Canucks where they got dominated and came back next period and completely turned the table on them too.
It’s on the skaters to be ready for that. Being ready for that should never include coming out and sitting on a lead. The balance wasn’t there in that regard in that second period. They were right on their heels.
The defense just doesn’t pinch as much is the simple strategy. The forwards have to match the pace. That didn’t occur. Thats why Keefe is saying there is still much to improve.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Andersen is not getting a raise because his comparables didn't. Markstrom got 6x6 this summer. Holtby got 4.3m x 2. Murray got overpaid at 6.25m x 5. If Andersen is interested in staying here he might get a 5m x 2, or if he wants term he could get 4m x 4 at the absolute best. A desperate team somewhere out there might give him .5m more than that, but I just don't see people banging down the door to sign him, to the point where he's going to command that raise. He's too old, doesn't have a winning pedigree, and has a poor season too recently for him to command top dollar.

I'm fine with Freddy staying or walking. There are better goalies out there. There are also worse goalies out there, and the last thing I want this team to do is fart around with discount goalies during our competitive window.

Do I believe in him? Eh, kinda sorta not so much but at least a little.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Definitely wouldn't resign. Let him play out his contract and move on.
He should have signed Markstrom to 6-7 this summer though given the slim pickings in net on the UFA market next year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Depends on what his contract asks are.

There aren’t many viable UFA options out there this year and trades are hard to predict. Grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Retaining Andy, even in a time share role, and having a strong backup (like Campbell) might be the best situation.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Campbell is a good goalie, I know he's never been a starter but he's never had a chance. Fun fact: Campbell had a higher save percentage than Quick every year he was there and a better save percentage than Andersen every year he was here (to date).

He's even played 31 games for LA in the 18-19 season and managed a .928 save %, Quick that same year played 46 games and had a .888 save percentage for comparison.

I'd even argue that it's harder as a backup because you don't get time and reps to get into your groove. You get a start here and then another one maybe a week or 2 later, and the odd game where you have to come in cold because the starter got pulled.

Imagine Freddy as the backup. He stinks it up at the beginning of every season, he would never have time to find his game and would probably never be a regular NHL goalie.

Get a capable backup and run them 1-2.
Playing 31 games is way different than 50 and quick had a bad year and was in decline at that point.
I want to say that I like Campbell a lot and I am hoping he can manage a starters workload, but I don't get rid of Freddie until that's established. So, do it just like they did in Anaheim with Freddie and Gibson, next season run a tandem giving Campbell consecutive starts and ride him until he falters. Test him, then trade Freddie if he proves he's up to the task. Pittsburgh did it with fluery and Murray too.
In leafs land we have made moves for backups with great numbers that couldn't hack the starter role, Bernier being the most recent one also from LA who had numbers equal to and sometimes while he was there. Good goalies, but a starter is a different beast.
All I'm saying is patience and do it right

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
The Leafs only have 2 reliable choices, Freddy and Binnington. Both ill command 6.5 to 7.5 mill on a multi year deal. Those of you that think Freddy is signing for under 4 mill are out to lunch.
If the Leafs sign either one, then Kerfoot is gone imo. Just not enough room with this cap. I guess an alternative would be to try and sign a RFA, but the only 2 that are decent (Demko and Samsonov) would very likely be matched. Freddy just makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad