Do you believe in Dubas?

Do you believe in Dubas?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Completely agree on the Dubas part. What we need is a top-tier guy with an ounce of vision and patience.

We thought Burke was going to do that, but he drank the Kool-Aid after one outlier season, and set the franchise back years.

We literally had Lamoriello, who was doing things the right way, but then Shanny decides that some wunderkind was going to do it better than a guy who took his first GM job when Dubas was in daycare, and had three Cup rings.

But Shanny did the same thing Peddie did when he hired JFJ; wants to look like the true hero by hiring the prodigy, and puts his own ego before the logical, common sense decision of going with experience, stability and pedigree.
Peddie had no interest in a prodigy. JFJ wanted a rebuild but Peddie kept rejecting it and told JFJ to aim for a playoff spot. Didn't go well.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I was in favor of Dubas over Lou because I thought having a young GM was a good change for the leafs. After this off season when he didn’t make any major changes I lost faith in him.

I believe a rookie GM can succeed as we have seen others come in and do a good job. Stevie Y is a great example. I hope Dubas learns from this if he gets a second chance to be GM.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I was in favor of Dubas over Lou because I thought having a young GM was a good change for the leafs. After this off season when he didn’t make any major changes I lost faith in him.

I believe a rookie GM can succeed as we have seen others come in and do a good job. Stevie Y is a great example. I hope Dubas learns from this if he gets a second chance to be GM.

There is a huge difference between learning the intricacies of a complex job and learning the basics of the sport.

Yzerman came in with a great understanding of how the game was played and what was needed to win on the ice. He knew exactly what kinds of players were needed and he knew exactly what kind of chemistry mix was needed. He needed to learn the other responsibilities of a GM, but those are easily covered by hiring experienced staff.

Dubas came in with very little knowledge of what it takes to build a winning team. That’s a whole different kind of learning curve. Maybe he’s learned from the mistakes he’s made, but they were team-ruining decisions that will take serious correction.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
There is a huge difference between learning the intricacies of a complex job and learning the basics of the sport.

Yzerman came in with a great understanding of how the game was played and what was needed to win on the ice. He knew exactly what kinds of players were needed and he knew exactly what kind of chemistry mix was needed. He needed to learn the other responsibilities of a GM, but those are easily covered by hiring experienced staff.

Dubas came in with very little knowledge of what it takes to build a winning team. That’s a whole different kind of learning curve. Maybe he’s learned from the mistakes he’s made, but they were team-ruining decisions that will take serious correction.

Completely on the money.

Yzerman also spent years learning from Ken Holland, one of the best who have ever done it. Dubas had zero of that experience, he built junior hockey teams which is a far cry from the pro game, and he never played the game.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Who knows....

I should have made 65 million usd three years ago instead i made sub liljegren money

No details its life aint it

Am i upset about this team.....

For sure, put me in as head coach and we would kick every nhl ass in the nhl keefe is off weird and the team doesnt like him

let me in larry and fire all these guys, the team is trying to fire keefe

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It's not his fault the core is rotten.... but it is his fault that he committed so much to those players.

Although I don't 100% believe the core is rotten as much as I believe they are weak minded and fragile I do agree with you.

All the core was here already. I admirr his loyalty to them. Regardless of whether he is right or wrong it is an under-rated trait.

It doean't work in sports, but I admire that he has decided to sink or swim with his agenda

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
If Dumbass is fired (please god, give us this one), who is the best and most likely candidate to take over?

And if Dumbass is gone Keefe will be too, so who is the best option for coach?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
If Dumbass is fired (please god, give us this one), who is the best and most likely candidate to take over?

Jeff Gorton as new GM. No question.

Give Keefe a longer chance. Give him another full season with the new GM to make some changes, and see how it goes.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
NO b .s, myself and the two guys who revolutionized canadian tennis unfortunately the best of the three of us, died

Get pride first, make them understand how lucky they are.. Get them to protect their number one and two goalie

AND, be, much tougher, that the toughest guy on the team

Be, very, very fit and be real....And have the knowledge of playing in the nhl

Not at all

BUT....to be a great coach, u have to throw a bit of a scare into your players

Brendan was a toronto area guy...

I dunno, he would have had sittler for free

DON would have venerated shanahan

The ahl penguins demonstrated last night the amount of talent in hockey around the world is very good

Nothing to be overly ashamed of. These AHLers are working their asses off..

I was all star, nhl two times, and eight times in the echl

Hard hard work

UGH.....LETS watch ZACH and me,,,, i love the guy

if you swarm a marner, a mcdavid, a matthews, good stuff can happenb

Bring in a coach soon that can support our top four

Sittler, Mcdonald and Williams and one nerd

Overall, get a really good stream of goaltenders.,.

Build out and have a ton of fun for the team and for the fans

Last edited:

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Who knows....

I should have made 65 million usd three years ago instead i made sub liljegren money

No details its life aint it

Am i upset about this team.....

For sure, put me in as head coach and we would kick every nhl ass in the nhl keefe is off weird and the team doesnt like him

let me in larry and fire all these guys, the team is trying to fire keefe

I'll be your assistant

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The sad thing he was gifted an enviable situation.

His fixation on all things Soo Greyhound is strange.

I wanted Dubas to be promoted to GM. I bought into the hype. Was very happy with the way he handled the draft and the Tavares signing. He lost me after this.

Clearly I was wrong for wanting Dubas. I thought he would be our Holland, a young GM to build us into a perennial Stanley cup winner. I knew he wasn’t the guy when he failed the Nylander negotiations - complete and utter failure which set the tone. Which then led to the less than favourable Matthews deal, and then the terrible Marner negotiations. Then bad move after bad move.

The funny thing is his obsession with Soo players is something similar to what we have seen before and it didn’t end well. Leafs had a rookie GM in 1988, Gord Stellick. He notoriously took 3 Belleville Bulls with 3 first round picks in his first NHL Draft. Dubas also a rookie has acquired 11 Soo players in his career and I believe there are only 23 active Soo players in the league. Not to mention adding his coach Keefe. That’s unheard of, almost 50% of a teams alumni was acquired by Dubas. Not to mentioned he tried his best to acquire others like Matt Murray, Colin Miller, and I believe Darnell Nurse who would have been a great get.

Burke lasted 3 years. Nonis lasted less than 3 years. Lou got 3 years. Yet Dubas gets a 4th after terrible negotiations and some franchise lows over the last 2-3 years?

His firing can’t come soon enough.

Give me Jim Rutherford and Bruce Boudreau.

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
As long as he stubbornly insists that this formula - that a team can win while paying four players $40m, going against everything that NHL history has shown us, no, I won't.

The moment he admits it's not working and makes bold moves to correct it, then I'll be intrigued. Unfortunately for him, I don't think he's going to last long enough to get the chance.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
The funny thing is his obsession with Soo players is something similar to what we have seen before and it didn’t end well. Leafs had a rookie GM in 1988, Gord Stellick. He notoriously took 3 Belleville Bulls with 3 first round picks in his first NHL Draft.

The first of those three picks was fine. The third is the one that hurts the most as he chose a a player who played a total of 6 NHL games while the Nordiques used the very next pick on Adam Foote (1154 games).

Give me Jim Rutherford and Bruce Boudreau.

Rutherford resigned for personal reasons, so he might not be up to getting back into the thick of things.

I had forgotten that Boudreau was still unemployed. I would be very happy with him as coach.

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017

Yzerman and other rookie GMs at least played pro hockey.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Bring guys with experience and who know the Toronto market.

Jim Rutherford for GM.
-3 Cups
-Southern Ontario Boy
-wanted the job in 2009
-former Leaf
-Took an underachieving core in Pittsburgh with Crosby, Malkin and Letang and won 2 cups
-Isn’t afraid of the big move

Boudreau for coach:
-Success with highly skilled players in Washington
-Toronto boy
-Former leaf
-interest in the job, interviewed for a coaching role last offseason

They have experience, the know the market, they want to be here and they have results.

It may not be the best long term plan that gets you a cup but it gives you credibility like Lou and Babcock did. They could save this core and if not it provides immediate stability until you can find a long term solution.

Fun fact: Bruce Boudreau, a defensemen scored his first career NHL goal against Jim Rutherford, who was a goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJK and colchar

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
As long as he stubbornly insists that this formula - that a team can win while paying four players $40m, going against everything that NHL history has shown us, no, I won't.

Chicago tied up salary in their stars and had to jettison players each off-season, but they kept on winning.

The problem isn't that that much money is tied up in four players, the problem is the four players in whom that money is tied up.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
The first of those three picks was fine. The third is the one that hurts the most as he chose a a player who played a total of 6 NHL games while the Nordiques used the very next pick on Adam Foote (1154 games)l

Rutherford resigned for personal reasons, so he might not be up to getting back into the thick of things.

I had forgotten that Boudreau was still unemployed. I would be very happy with him as coach.

The funny thing is Foote is from the Soo Greyhounds. Like this metaphor there is nothing wrong with 1 of those guys from Belleville, and there is nothing wrong with Soo players, it’s just suspiciously puzzling that he brought in 11.

Whether it’s true or not, the rumor was Rutherford wanted to trade Letang, had a done deal and ownership said no so he resigned. If this is true, then there is no reason he can’t take the job. If it is anything else, like health reasons, then yeah, im with you, the leafs will have to look elsewhere. Maybe Dean Lombardi.

Reactions: colchar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad