Do you believe in Dubas?

Do you believe in Dubas?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Yes and no.

Yes - the team looks to be good and competitive on paper.
No - that hasn't translated well enough on the ice to this point.

Reactions: bax and Brobust

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
We got bent over the barrel on both contracts, i truly believe more respect would have been given to a non rookie NHL general manager. How did we not get Matthews for longer at that price? And how did we end up at almost 11 million for a winger that can't dictate the game.

We pay Marner game changer money, and he gets pushed of the puck as easily as my 4 year old nephew.

I was just a massive Marner fan but he is a shadow of what he was at the beginning now, I hope he puts it together so we can have the league look at a mirage, and trade him for a great D on a good contract and a top 6 winger.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Basically I’m at the point where I’ve generally supported the moves he’s made as most look good on paper and have solid reasoning behind them, but he doesn’t sniff out and fix this problem right away and decides to just sit on his hands then I’ll definitely be way more open to the possibility that there needs to be changes to the front office and not just the line up.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I said Keefe fired by Christmas, Dubas by season end and Shanahan next off season. I now see Keefe in the next week or so, Dubas maybe at the same time. Shanahan will be interim GM and try to right a rudderless ship. Hate to say it , but it might be Tortorella Time
Management teams don’t get turfed before being given the opportunity to fix the team. Generally a gm gets a gun with three bullets, one for the current coach, one for a major roster move and one for himself. So far they’ve only used one. I still think the front office gets the chance to fix this before they are replaced.
Kyle, Sheldon and shanny aren’t on the ice, the players still need to be ones to come through. All management can do is set them up properly to succeed after that’s it’s on the guys in uniform.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He does a lot of things right, but I think the stagnant cap has made him lose the plot.

Trying to force a top-heavy structure when the cap isn't rising is a major mistake. It was a good plan in the beginning and quite possible too. However, when it became obvious the cap wasn't moving, it was time to remove one of the bigger contracts.

Instead, he's gutted the team and left them with nothing to win with.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
When we got rid of Lou in favour of dubas I was indifferent.

I thought some of lous rules like no high numbers and no facial hair were outdated.

It took me one season to see that dubas is not a good gm. Yet some still can't see this and will tell you that he is far better than other gms such as Lou.

At this point, the only thing I trust dubas with is to make the situation even worse.

He needs to be fired before he does something crazy in an attempt to save his job.

Last edited:

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I guess I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I think Dubas has done a pretty good job during his time as GM here. I get that a number of his moves haven't turned into the kind of success he and fans had hoped for to date, but at least he's tried to address issues as they've come up with the team unlike previous Leafs GMs that either did nothing or made crappy trades.

Of all the trades he's done to date there's only a few that I've actually seriously disliked. In terms of his drafting I guess it remains to be seen, but it seems better so far than previous GMs. And in terms of contracts for players the only one I really don't like is Marner's contract while all the people who hated Nylander's contract when he signed now think its pretty damn good. So to me while not all his moves have panned out, at least most of them make sense and haven't been bad at all.

I get fans are angry that the Leafs are inconsistent and often crappy, but Dubas can only do so much and the rest is up to the players assembled to get the job done. Maybe he'll have to end up trading one of the four major players to really shake things up and get this team to go into a new direction.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Rookie president hires rookie GM who hires rookie coach and the 5 year rebuild has become a 6 th year tire fire , from a team record for season points to a team that gets literally pumped by a team missing 6 of it's top 10 players . Kind of have to wonder why we even need a poll ?
Better question might be -I wonder if Buffalo would take Mathews and Reilly for Eichel and Miller ?

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Does anyone actually believe we still wouldn’t have won a round if Lou was around? Doesn’t speak to the logic in bringing in Kyle, but also a kind of cut the bs consideration.

We are an abject failure.
Lou was never staying long term anyway so the question might better be asked are we better with Dubass than we would have been with Hunter ? perhaps we should look at the Knights vs Greyhounds as far as long term growth and player development . How about we look at the past 10-12 years and see who developed more top quality players ?
Spoiler alert the Soo haven't been in the Mem Cup since they won it as host in 93 , before Dubass was even born , the Knights under the Hunters have made made it to the Memorial Cup 5 times and won it 2 times in 20 years .

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Leafs were an easy team to play against physically so he thought Kadri and Hyman were expendable.

Hockey and football are being changed with rules to help player safety, but you still need tough players.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I put other.

I do like some of the players Dubas acquired.

I don't trust a lot of other things.

Clearly I'm not a fan of a top heavy salary structure. I'm not a fan of Keefe. I also don't like how things have played out with the cap: losing players, draft picks, and having to sign reclamation projects to fill out the team. I'm also pissed off that we have no prospects to fill around our top heavy team.

A lot of negatives. I know.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Yes, actually. Trades, signings and drafts were pretty good. Contracts not so much.
All in all it is not his fault that the core seems to be rotten. We all thought that they will lead us to a Cup, it was only discussed hoe many it will be ...

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
If this guy had turned 2 other franchises into legit cup contenders, then yes I would believe in him. His resume is essentially blank. WTF? How did this happen? Why him? I bet fantasy league managers would do better than him. They have more experience in roster construction.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Management teams don’t get turfed before being given the opportunity to fix the team. Generally a gm gets a gun with three bullets, one for the current coach, one for a major roster move and one for himself. So far they’ve only used one. I still think the front office gets the chance to fix this before they are replaced.
Kyle, Sheldon and shanny aren’t on the ice, the players still need to be ones to come through. All management can do is set them up properly to succeed after that’s it’s on the guys in uniform.
Bullet one- Loss to Columbus- Correction factor- Bring some character in.
Bullet two- Loss to Montreal- Character did nor work because two of our highest paid players refused to show up and the coach was a no show. Correction Factor- Stand pat,
Bullet three- See last two games. This coach cannot do anything with them. They got Babcock run out of town. It is SHAKE UP TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia