Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2009
Kyle Dubas hits one out of park with John Tavares signing

Signing the next Jason Allison, pretty good if Dubas is working for the habs

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Bullet one- Loss to Columbus- Correction factor- Bring some character in.
Bullet two- Loss to Montreal- Character did nor work because two of our highest paid players refused to show up and the coach was a no show. Correction Factor- Stand pat,
Bullet three- See last two games. This coach cannot do anything with them. They got Babcock run out of town. It is SHAKE UP TIME.
I agree, time to shake up the core. Not management.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Nope, thought picking him over Lamoriello was the absolute dumbest move the franchise could have made.

Ultimately, he's an uber-player friendly GM who treats his employees like they're his friends. Folds like a poker table in negotiations with super player-friendly deals, has a fundamentally flawed vision for how to construct a team, and has guided the team into a place where they are declining with very few options to improve.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's because he's a small towner doing small town things in the biggest city in the game.

Toronto is not a market for a management trainee.
The group he is betting on will hang him.

Unfortunately, we lack at the very least one star with a Gallagher/Bergeron mentality.

You need to have a hard working identity and the leader who demands nothing less. That’s not who the wagon is hitched too.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Yes, actually. Trades, signings and drafts were pretty good. Contracts not so much.
All in all it is not his fault that the core seems to be rotten. We all thought that they will lead us to a Cup, it was only discussed hoe many it will be ...

It's not his fault the core is rotten.... but it is his fault that he committed so much to those players.

Reactions: MJK

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
We got bent over the barrel on both contracts, i truly believe more respect would have been given to a non rookie NHL general manager. How did we not get Matthews for longer at that price? And how did we end up at almost 11 million for a winger that can't dictate the game.

We pay Marner game changer money, and he gets pushed of the puck as easily as my 4 year old nephew.

I was just a massive Marner fan but he is a shadow of what he was at the beginning now, I hope he puts it together so we can have the league look at a mirage, and trade him for a great D on a good contract and a top 6 winger.
The first reason he got bent over it’s because he likes it the Second reason is because public statement negotiations are a difficult time and I don’t wanna do that to my Playerss what does that tell the team open season what a Joker dubas is i’ve never liked him since the beginning I got roasted 1000 times on this board for my opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: MJK and Habz4Evr

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Ultimately, he's an uber-player friendly GM who treats his employees like they're his friends

I honestly believe in his heart that Dubas thinks these guys will not ask for the moon on their next deal if he is still here. He really thinks that by doing them a favor and paying them early in their careers that they will be satisfied and not bend him over again. We all know there is no chance of that happening...but he doesn't.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
What Lamareillo and Babcock did while they were here, they came up short with that young team.

Coming up short happens in sports. Someone gotta win, someone gotta lose.

With Shanahan, Dubas, and their coach, what we are seeing is a team that is grossly under-performing.

Also, under current management and coaching, there has been embarrassments that did not occur under the previous regime.

This is kind of like a replay of the Ballard years.

:baghead:

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
What Lamareillo and Babcock did while they were here, they came up short with that young team.

Coming up short happens in sports. Someone gotta win, someone gotta lose.

With Shanahan, Dubas, and their coach, what we are seeing is a team that is grossly under-performing.

Also, under current management and coaching, there has been embarrassments that did not occur under the previous regime.

This is kind of like a replay of the Ballard years.

:baghead:
Ballard was worse. Much worse.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Nope, thought picking him over Lamoriello was the absolute dumbest move the franchise could have made.

Ultimately, he's an uber-player friendly GM who treats his employees like they're his friends. Folds like a poker table in negotiations with super player-friendly deals, has a fundamentally flawed vision for how to construct a team, and has guided the team into a place where they are declining with very few options to improve.
Nothing in the last paragraph is even remotely wrong.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Its tragic how this whole rebuild got destroyed. Dubas was gifted with probably one of the greatest situations in all of sports. A team loaded with young talent graduating star rookies year after year, favourable cap situation with all kinds of money to spend, finally in a situation where quality vets wanted to play and more resources for drafting/scouting/player development/capologists etc etc etc than any other team in the league. He turned home town hero Marner into a damn pariah with that contract. Matthews is gonna walk in a couple years. Brown, Hyman, Kadri all out the door for basically nothing. Rielly is next. Old man Tavares and his albatross contract for years. Pissing away how many draft picks. But hey Dubas wanted these spoiled brats to feel good about their contracts so i guess thats all that matters in his world. Cant wait for that punk to get shit canned.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I did but I was wrong. The day he signed the Marner deal I said, “if dubas ever gets fired, it'll be because of this”. It seems his contract signings/fear of doing the holdout thing have been his demise. The cap is flat and we need depth.

However, Not his fault Marner turned out to be a lazy cuck who only tried hard for his big money day and now doesn’t want any responsibility.
Regardless, he signed the deal so has to own the decision to go all in on Muffin Shot

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Once Matthews signed only a 5 year deal and Marner bent him over, I knew Dubas was too close to the team. I don't know if it's his age, or maybe his inexperience, but he seems to care about his relationship with the teams players than building and icing a true contending roster.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Too soon to determine.

For the most part he inherited the core, especially the expensive parts of it.

I'll have to wait until we see his draft picks in the line-up.

Any quick success will be based on mostly inherited assets.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Too soon to determine.

For the most part he inherited the core, especially the expensive parts of it.

I'll have to wait until we see his draft picks in the line-up.

Any quick success will be based on mostly inherited assets.

Have to disagree on that; he inherited Nylander, but Marner and Matthews were drafted while he was the AGM, and negotiated all of their deals as GM. He also signed Tavares.

Not too high on his draft history as well; Marlies are a bit of a mess. Watching the Marlies get destroyed on PVR last night was like watching a replay of the shit-kicking by Pittsburgh, just with a slightly different logo.

Reactions: Polaris1010

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't believe in Dubas but I worry if and when a regime change happens they won't re-hire the management staff in the right sequence and they'll have some kind of blow it up mandate which could hurt the Leafs chances of getting maximum return or dump the wrong pieces. Though with Dubas in charge, it's not like we're asset managing very well either.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Have to disagree on that; he inherited Nylander, but Marner and Matthews were drafted while he was the AGM, and negotiated all of their deals as GM. He also signed Tavares.

Not too high on his draft history as well; Marlies are a bit of a mess. Watching the Marlies get destroyed on PVR last night was like watching a replay of the shit-kicking by Pittsburgh, just with a slightly different logo.

You look at some of those mid round selections, even if they all pan out as NHL caliber players, how will they even support this Leafs team in third and fourth line roles or on the bottom pair of a defensive unit.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I've lost faith in all the management here. Shanahan down. Dubas has made some good trades/picks/signings. More good than bad I would say. However the Tavares signing, Foligno trade, Kadri trade etc. really hinder the team.

Probably time for a wholesale change, but I don't see that coming until the off-season.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
I don't believe in Dubas but I worry if and when a regime change happens they won't re-hire the management staff in the right sequence and they'll have some kind of blow it up mandate which could hurt the Leafs chances of getting maximum return or dump the wrong pieces. Though with Dubas in charge, it's not like we're asset managing very well either.

Completely agree on the Dubas part. What we need is a top-tier guy with an ounce of vision and patience.

We thought Burke was going to do that, but he drank the Kool-Aid after one outlier season, and set the franchise back years.

We literally had Lamoriello, who was doing things the right way, but then Shanny decides that some wunderkind was going to do it better than a guy who took his first GM job when Dubas was in daycare, and had three Cup rings.

But Shanny did the same thing Peddie did when he hired JFJ; wants to look like the true hero by hiring the prodigy, and puts his own ego before the logical, common sense decision of going with experience, stability and pedigree.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
You look at some of those mid round selections, even if they all pan out as NHL caliber players, how will they even support this Leafs team in third and fourth line roles or on the bottom pair of a defensive unit.

Exactly my thought; these mid-round picks are not looking as if they're going to be productive NHL players. Most appear to be role players and AAAA tweeners who will spend their careers between NHL/AHL/Europe.

Lots of overagers, lots of the 'small/smart/skilled', and virtually all of them appear projected to be non-impact players.

And the one guy who appears to finally GET IT in Adam Brooks, you lose on waivers... and for who? Michael Amadio... a guy who couldn't fully stick with the Sens last season... but he's from the Sault, so, y'know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad