Do you actually want the Leafs to make the playoffs ?

ShortSideFlick

Nov 2, 2011
I dont see how making the playoffs would hurt the leafs in the short term its only gonna be like three picks diffrent in the first round in a weak draft. Making the playoffs would give the leafs valuable playoff experience.

It would be great to get playoff experience for the young guys and it'd be fun to watch. In a vacuum they could retool just the same whether or not they make playoffs, but realistically if this team makes playoffs the core will be unchanged, Leiweke pretty much said that in his interview (at least that's how I interpreted it). I'd rather them make changes to the core than make playoffs and not make those changes.

Edit: I'm not overly concerned about the difference between say 9th-14th pick, they should be pretty close to equal prospects. I'm concerned about handing out 6-8 year contacts to supplement a core that will be at best a low end playoff team for a few years and then weighed down by declining players with 4-5 years left on their contracts.

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
It would be great to get playoff experience for the young guys and it'd be fun to watch. In a vacuum they could retool just the same whether or not they make playoffs, but realistically if this team makes playoffs the core will be unchanged, Leiweke pretty said that in his interview (at least that's how I interpreted it). I'd rather them make changes to the core than make playoffs and not make those changes.

Despite the losing streak and poor play, the core doesn't need to be changed dramatically. Maybe another system, and some improvement defensively, and we should be better.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Edit: I'm not overly concerned about the difference between say 9th-14th pick, they should be pretty close to equal prospects. I'm concerned about handing out 6-8 year contacts to supplement a core that will be at best a low end playoff team for a few years and then weighed down by declining players with 4-5 years left on their contracts.

Remember any team that does not make the playoffs has a shot at 1st overall.
We may have the worst chance, but a shot nevertheless.

ShortSideFlick

Nov 2, 2011
Despite the losing streak and poor play, the core doesn't need to be changed dramatically. Maybe another system, and some improvement defensively, and we should be better.

I guess we have some common ground on the system, but we'll have to agree to disagree on the core.

Phaneuf is gonna be an untradeable anchor dragging this team down in a few short years (if even that long), clarkson needs no elaboration, I really like Bolland but if they give him 6/7 years he'll be a negative for more of his contract than he's a positive. Meanwhile he's blocking guys like Holland from developing and in a few years Gauthier.

Phaneuf needs to go now while he can still be moved. He crumbles worse than anyone else on the team when the pressure's on and I have doubts about how well he meshes with teammates (way to leave the ice when the whole team is supporting Ranger). He never fights even if the timing is right, the team needs a spark, and it's a challenge from the other team's captain. It's embarrassing seeing our captain back down like a wimp over and over, and it's not like it's fourth liners challenging him and it's usually a result of something he started. People wonder what happened to our team's "Identity", look at the captain. He hardly ever hustles and he makes more boneheaded plays than everyone except Franson. He messes up plays that minor atom players can make like dumping the puck :facepalm: and falls down untouched randomly.

Oh, and people say all the time that he's "mobile", WHAT THE HELL?!?! Who are these people watching? I know that was the scouting report when he was acquired, but that was a long time ago and phaneuf is the most sluggish immobile guy on the ice. I wonder if phaneuf is exempt from skating drills in practice. He seriously has trouble getting around on the ice, and he's just plain lazy whether it's hustling for a puck or covering your man. You can't have that out of your Captain. We've got supposedly the best skating coach around, but I'd be shocked if she's been given a chance to help Dion. I'm willing to bet Phaneuf has too much pride to let her help him with his atrocious skating. Look at how much Colbourne's skating improved from working with Underhill, why is Dion's still so bad? He's the captain, all the young guys should be seeing him constantly trying to improve, and he should probably start with his skating.

This team will go nowhere as long as Phaneuf is at the helm. If we make playoffs he won't be moved this year and the window where he's movable gets much smaller.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I understand that is sounds a bit ridiculous, but would you be happy with them making the playoffs and be out the first round and going into next year with basically the same team, management and coaching staff ?

If this team can regroup after a collapse like that, and make the playoffs and perhaps win a round - I see absolutely no reason why I wouldn't want to keep this team together.

We had 13 bad days, if we can regroup from that and still make the playoffs that shows determination. This team was in full stride just before Olympic break, We lost our #1 goalie and Reimer didn't help that, we lost a lot of 1 goal games (if you don't count the empty netters). In two seasons this team has progressed from being a lottery draft team to a playoff team last year and a team fighting for a spot this year.

There will always be bumps in the road, but this management team has improved the team from where it was.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Of course I want them to make the playoffs at this point. The only way I'd be cheering for them to miss is if they were vying for a top 5 pick in the draft and that ship has already sailed which is something that really pisses me off about this team. You show signs of being a decent team in the East all year and then take a giant poop when everyone feels comfortable that they've made the playoffs and now win 2 in a row to keep them just close enough to keep me interested but knowing full well that they'll fall just short in the end and meanwhile I've been scoreboard watching Columbus games for two weeks... !@#$ing Columbus! I want a divorce. Lol

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
why do people keep thinking Phaneuf is untradeable. People were still trying to trade for Phaneuf after he signed the contract extension according to LeBrun & Friedmann. if people want him they'll try to get him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
why do people keep thinking Phaneuf is untradeable. People were still trying to trade for Phaneuf after he signed the contract extension according to LeBrun & Friedmann. if people want him they'll try to get him.

They would be foolish not to trade him before his NTC is in effect.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Of course I want us to make the playoffs!

Do I *THINK* we will? Probably not, but if we beat Winnipeg tonight, an Columbus lose tomorrow, then we'll have a pretty decent shot. If the opposite happens, we're done, but right now we're still in it.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013

Despite what Oiler fans are saying, Edmonton would definitely be in on Phaneuf if he is available in the off-season and guess what? He'd make that team better. I could see Gagner + coming back and that could be a good deal for both teams. Phaneuf is a legitimate top 4 defencemen in the league but he's been miscast in Toronto and there's no way management takes the C off his chest while he's still a Leaf.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
Of course I want the Leafs to make the playoffs. To suggest otherwise is ridicules. I can't believe the number of so called "Leafs fans" hoping they lose. This team may have the best fans in the world, but they also have the worst.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
If they rallied and made it, it would probably be better for player morale than if they missed it after being in a strong position before the slide... and if management has their **** together (admittedly they probably don't), that won't prevent them from making changes that need to be made anyway.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Playoff experience is invaluable for player development.

Rielly, Gardner, Kadri, Bernier would all benefit if the Leafs made it.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I'm indifferent because I don't think the team deserves to and I wouldn't expect them to make it past game 5.

They show up for only parts of games, can't be play defence and have guys who are soft as hell.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Honestly, I'm not sure. Not too high on the draft but I don't know if I can stand cheering for this group of Leafs. They're so terrible in the most correctable part of the game and it's ridiculous.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
To be a cup contender first step is consistently making the playoffs. It's hard to cheer for this team sometimes but it'd be nice to see the young guys get some experience. I want them to make it, but I doubt it's gunna happen.

Can we stop with this "real fan" stuff?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
We need a #1C that can make our top line more versatile. Our second line should be a strictly two-way line in order to mitigate the fact that Kessel is a perimeter player. Our third and forth lines should be based around young players that can cycle the puck well. I like how Chicago's bottom six is creative, two-way and can drive possession.

As for our defenceman, I am seriously thinking that if we can somehow a package Phaneuf ( a top, two-way, #1D) for a high first rounder ( to acquire Aaron Ekblad or Sam Reinhart). I think a mobile two-way defenceman like Ekblad would form an elite pairing with Rielly. Hell, throw in Gardiner, we may as well have a D core that is more mobile, physical, and defensively-oriented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad