Do you actually want the Leafs to make the playoffs ?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Don't get me wrong I want to the Leafs to make the playoffs every year, but I was wondering if this team making the playoffs would stop management from making changes with this team, or limit the changes that they are going to make.

If they miss the playoffs management will be forced to make some changes.

I think this team needs a major shakeup this offseason to get them onto the right path to one day become a contender for the cup.

So a simple question does everyone actually want the Leafs to make it ?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
This is a ridiculous question. Making the playoffs is the essential step to the ultimate goal of winning the Cup. I would never hope that my team loses just so some suits can get shuffled around. The onus is on the players as much as the coaching staff. There was no point in the 8 game losing streak that Carlyle could have strapped on a pair of skates and made a defensive play.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Of course, hard to understand why anyone wouldn't.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I understand that is sounds a bit ridiculous, but would you be happy with them making the playoffs and be out the first round and going into next year with basically the same team, management and coaching staff ?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I understand that is sounds a bit ridiculous, but would you be happy with them making the playoffs and be out the first round and going into next year with basically the same team, management and coaching staff ?

Making the Playoffs doesn't preclude them from making changes.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Of course I want us to make the playoffs. But our team have not played very well this season and it starts to sound like a broken record but we have gotten this far by out scoring our problems and having a goalie who plays for the starter job. But watching the team play, how confused they are in their own zone, how weak they are at checking how they can crumble as a team again and again and again means changes must be made. But a good organization can both have relative success but still make the necessary changes to get better. Are we a good organization?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

A first round exit is not a bye for the team, management and coaching staff. It's a shame that our fanbase seems to think that making the playoffs is some sort of gift. Perennial contenders consider a first round exit a failure and I believe Tim Leiweke would think the same way. If there is a house cleaning, it's going to happen whether the Leafs make the playoffs or not.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Of course I want us to make the playoffs. But our team have not played very well this season and it starts to sound like a broken record but we have gotten this far by out scoring our problems and having a goalie who plays for the starter job. But watching the team play, how confused they are in their own zone, how weak they are at checking how they can crumble as a team again and again and again means changes must be made. But a good organization can both have relative success but still make the necessary changes to get better. Are we a good organization?

This might be the key post to help what im trying to say.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
After watching the way they have competed the last few months I don't care either way.

I kind of hope they make it so the Habs fans at work will make fun of me less but after 30+ years of being a Leafs fan I am also kind of used to it... so I also kind of hope they don't so they will blow this piece of crap team with core players that just go through the motions up and get some players who actually care.

I don't even care if they are less talented than the current group. Effort makes up for a lot of talent.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008

Would you be happy with them not making the playoffs and going into next year with basically the same team, management and coaching staff ?

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
so OP you think if they make the playoffs and get swept in the first round you're the only one who is going to remember the problems the team had this year? Anyone associated with the team will just forget.... and not want to improve... you think their goal is PO and swept first round... that's your thinking?

of course people want the team to make the playoffs.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Would you be happy with them not making the playoffs and going into next year with basically the same team, management and coaching staff ?

Obviously not, that is the whole point of the thread, if they make the playoffs will that cause Nonis to belive it was a "successful season" and not make many moves.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
so OP you think if they make the playoffs and get swept in the first round you're the only one who is going to remember the problems the team had this year? Anyone associated with the team will just forget.... and not want to improve... you think their goal is PO and swept first round... that's your thinking?

of course people want the team to make the playoffs.

Well at the trade deadline Nonis did absolutely nothing. The team had no problems before that ?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You hope your team wins the Cup every year as that is the goal and that starts with making the playoffs.

So fans always want their teams to make the playoffs whenever possible.

Changes are coming regardless as anyone can tell this isn't a very good team that is Cup competitive as is.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Obviously not, that is the whole point of the thread, if they make the playoffs will that cause Nonis to belive it was a "successful season" and not make many moves.

If making the Playoffs is Nonis' only measuring stick for change, why would you be comfortable with him making the moves if they don't?

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Of course I do, if they don't make it, they get a middle of the road draft pick. If they do make it, I get to watch the Leafs more and wear my jersey for an extra month. Plus once you make the playoffs, it's a clean slate.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I know where you're coming from, but even if they do squeak in, I don't think they get by the first round.
Either way, make it or not, I hope Nonis doesn't say that they were a bubble team and keeps RC around. It just doesn't add up - after making the playoffs last year, signing Clarkson, Bolland, trading for Bernier, how could you say missing the play-offs is ok?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
If making the Playoffs is Nonis' only measuring stick for change, why would you be comfortable with him making the moves if they don't?

I'm not saying I'm comfortable with Nonis.

I just want the team to make changes this offseason (pretty obvious that they have to) and if making the playoffs gives management a reason to not make as many changes I think that is a problem.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It would be better if they didn't obviously, assuming they draft well. I can't cheer against them for a pick but I think only missing the playoffs will get RC moved out and that is to me more important for the club to get better. I guess I am neutral right now. What I don't want is a futile crawl to 17 th place

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Why wouldn't you want the team to make the playoffs?. Carlyle will likely get fired, and there will definitely be roster changes even if we do make the playoffs. Cody Franson has been an absolute joke this year. He's just one of at least a few moves that will be made.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Sneaking in as the 8th seed will go a lot farther then missing with the 9-15th position. These guys need playoff experience a lot more than moving up a couple of draft positions.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: