Do you actually want the Leafs to make the playoffs ?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I understand that is sounds a bit ridiculous, but would you be happy with them making the playoffs and be out the first round and going into next year with basically the same team, management and coaching staff ?

It seems that you think that the people that are running the Leafs are so stupid that they would be oblivious to the many shortcomings of the team should a playoff berth materialize.

They are not going to sit on their hands and believe everything is fine.

They may not want to, or be able to, to make all the changes that are suggested here (thank goodness) but they do realize there issues to address.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Don't get me wrong I want to the Leafs to make the playoffs every year, but I was wondering if this team making the playoffs would stop management from making changes with this team, or limit the changes that they are going to make.

If they miss the playoffs management will be forced to make some changes.

I think this team needs a major shakeup this offseason to get them onto the right path to one day become a contender for the cup.

So a simple question does everyone actually want the Leafs to make it ?

Why do you think that making the playoffs means there won't be changes? They are smart enough to know what the problems are and that barely scraping into the playoffs does not nullify those problems.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
most of me wants the leafs to do well and make the playoffs but a part of me almost prefers that they dont.

if the leafs dont make the playoffs im fairly certain some serious fundamental change will be in order.

if they make the playoffs, management might think they are no so far off still and resign more secondary players and not fix the issues.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It seems that you think that the people that are running the Leafs are so stupid that they would be oblivious to the many shortcomings of the team should a playoff berth materialize.

They are not going to sit on their hands and believe everything is fine.

They may not want to, or be able to, to make all the changes that are suggested here (thank goodness) but they do realize there issues to address.

This is what it comes down to. Have a little faith that Management have some type of clue what they're doing.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I am offended that this is even a question

Not sure if you get the point I was trying to make. First line of OP said i always want the leafs to make the playoffs.

The main point here is if they do make it will that give management the idea that this team does not need as many changes in the offseason.

I personally think something major has to be changed, will a playoff appearance make management think its just minor tweaking needed ?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think Paul Ranger said it best.

Ultimately - we all want to make the playoffs, and then after that the championships. We desperately want that.

And I think truly - no matter how much anyone thinks this team is horrendous, not good, garbage, wonderful, amazing, mean, stupid, [insert appropriate adjective here] - if someone said to you, guess what, the Leafs will make the playoffs in 2014, and make it to the finals - we'd take it.

I always try not put words in people's mouths - so for me this is actually the first time in a long, long long time that I've actually been frustrated and angry with the team. I wrote it in my last loose-leafs. I personally didn't give a rat's bottom that we were breaking shot records (bad) and goals against (bad) and everything like that, because I was prepared for "ooogly defense." I had my 'this is the third youngest team in the league' glasses and I excused a lot of crap, because in the back of my head, I figured. you know what - it's not that they are winning - it's just that this is what is going to happen. Sooner or later, the defense will be better, and as long as they learn some 'lesssons'

(you know, learn how to close out games - which even though they've blown 24 third period leads, we are actually really good at winning those games :laugh: winning when carrying the lead in third (25-Carolina-Pittsburgh/Minnesota) whatever.

But there are some things that really irked me off - one of which, is that, when the season was on the line, the team couldn't find it's 'get up and kill' gene. Maybe that's simply a product of a lot of things (hardly anyone of this team has won anything (Minus Bolland/Bernier and maybe a few others). None of the rookies have been to the Calder recently. so it's like - they know how climb out of trouble - but they don't seem to have that switch to avoid trouble, or to stop it before it - you know, reaches eight games, and now you need three miracles to even maybe make the playoffs. It doesn't help that Carlyle is so slow in making adjustments. I'd rather see Rielly/Gardiner run the powerplay for all two minutes and deal with their mistakes - than have Franson and Phaneuf's slow selves out there. Why was D'Amigo brought up game eight of (at the time) a seven game losing streak? Why Orr and McLaren (especially if they aren't fighting), why are you running your top line into the ground, etc, etc etc.

I personally am just tired of no man's land. Yes. it's always make the playoffs or bust but truthfully, drive for 9's all the time does this team no good either. So if we're going to miss, I'd rather miss outright, close to the bottom. I don't think it makes you any less of a fan to have your team put itself in the best chance on either side of the spectrum.

I also hope real changes is done - like not just the superficial ones, but real, soul-searching, Come to Jesus moment changes where you have to ask yourself exactly - as one of the oldest teams in the League, and one of the richest - are we really putting ourselves in the best situation here.and truthfully, I don't think they are. Now. yes, is it fantasy land thinking that them losing 14 straight would have resulted in massive changes - sure, maybe. but crashing hard and then making an effort when almost all hope is gone is still nothing to be "yaaaaaay' about.

that's just my .5 cents

hockeyfanz*

Don't get me wrong I want to the Leafs to make the playoffs every year, but I was wondering if this team making the playoffs would stop management from making changes with this team, or limit the changes that they are going to make.

If they miss the playoffs management will be forced to make some changes.

I think this team needs a major shakeup this offseason to get them onto the right path to one day become a contender for the cup.

So a simple question does everyone actually want the Leafs to make it ?

Im not going to play dumb and give you the canned response that of course I Want them to make the playoffs..young team needs the experience, just have to make it and anythiing can happen BS....

You are correct. Firstly...they dont deserve to make the playoffs with the way they play. And following this team for so long..I know how they operate. Perhaps a few playoff gates will put them in a "no need to make any big changes" mentality.

I disagree. I think there needs to be major changes. Shakeup the core..not the 6th d-man and the fourth line winger.

MISS PLEASE AND MISS HARD.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Of course I do.

Anybody who says otherwise are not a true Leaf fans.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not sure if you get the point I was trying to make. First line of OP said i always want the leafs to make the playoffs.

The main point here is if they do make it will that give management the idea that this team does not need as many changes in the offseason.

I personally think something major has to be changed, will a playoff appearance make management think its just minor tweaking needed ?

Last season was a little bit of what you're talking about.

Only 48 game season with lots of anomalies, and the team overachieved and looked to be moving ahead..

So draft picks were sent packing for Bolland (potential rental) and big money UFA $ Clarkson etc to build upon last year. Types of moves made by a team trying to turn the corner not rebuilding. Making moves designed to move beyond the 1st round. The limited success gave a false sense of security that everything was fine.

This year the team has come cashing back down to reality and the stats match that similar to the 2012 season which ended in disappointment and major changes in both management and personnel. So team failure caused major changes to occur.

You're worried if the Leafs back into the playoffs playing as poorly as they have all year that minor tweaks verses significant moves will occur. Coach might not be fired, same players brought back etc etc. However I think that Ownership recognizes that there are issues regardless of them squeaking into the playoffs or not.

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
Easy answer: yes. It's looking very unlikely at this point, but I would take a 1st round exit over no hockey and 13th overall pick any day.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
No. I'll sacrafice a few playoff games just to see some major changes being made.

If we make the playoffs I don't see Carlyle getting fired and he needs to be fired he's a horrible coach. Making the playoffs gaurantee's this bonehead's going to coach for another year and thats another year where the players age and the core becomes less efficient.

So no, I don't want us to make the playoffs and continue this garbage trend next year of anti-puck possession hockey with a goalie standing on his head every game for us to get a win.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Don't see why you wouldn't with where they're at. If they lose the next 4 games they won't be ending up with a great pick anyway. Would much rather see them squeek in.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012

So ending the season with 2 less points and missing the playoffs will be the catalyst for some big change? Do you think you and whoever else knows more about what is going on with the team than the people that run the team 24/7. Thinking that they don't try and do the right thing or attempt to do some of these "big changes" everyone wants is completely ignorant. This isn't fantasy hockey, things don't come that easy to actual NHL General Managers. They want to be a good team more than you or I want them to, trust me.

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
A first round exit is not a bye for the team, management and coaching staff. It's a shame that our fanbase seems to think that making the playoffs is some sort of gift. Perennial contenders consider a first round exit a failure and I believe Tim Leiweke would think the same way. If there is a house cleaning, it's going to happen whether the Leafs make the playoffs or not.
You'd like to think so, but it's so easy to sell another season based on two consecutive years of being in the playoffs.

I'd just like to see some Leaf playoff games, but I'm certainly nervous that the glaring issues facing this team might go unaddressed if the more casual sector of fans see us as being well on our way to contending.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Playoffs or not, they will make changes! Question is will the changes help?????

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
So ending the season with 2 less points and missing the playoffs will be the catalyst for some big change? Do you think you and whoever else knows more about what is going on with the team than the people that run the team 24/7. Thinking that they don't try and do the right thing or attempt to do some of these "big changes" everyone wants is completely ignorant. This isn't fantasy hockey, things don't come that easy to actual NHL General Managers. They want to be a good team more than you or I want them to, trust me.

1) Yes, i think missing the playoffs after being solidly in a playoff spot a couple of weeks ago will be a catalyst for big change.

2)I have not said I know more about hockey then the management staff, or anyone else for that matter.

3)I do believe the team will try to do the right thing, I am just questioning if their idea of "the right thing" changes if the team has 2 consecutive playoff appearances (vs. a major collapse and missing the playoffs).

4)Obviously they want to be a good team, but if they make playoffs 2 years in a row, maybe their idea of good is pretty close to where they are.

moonbal

Apr 29, 2013
Pillsbury Toronto
Heart says yes. But the head says no.
Team is flawed. Change is needed. And by change, I mean the coaching staff.

Squeaking in to playoffs could save Carlyle. Frankly I don't want him back.
Whatever he did to turn this team around in that half season is gone.

And the way Columbus is playing, we'll miss it anyways.
Might as well tank and get something out of it (in the draft).

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I understand that is sounds a bit ridiculous, but would you be happy with them making the playoffs and be out the first round and going into next year with basically the same team, management and coaching staff ?

this, this whole organization needs changes from the players to the management team....

if we made the playoffs and got canned first round we would be hearing this "we still believe in this group played well during last stretch to make the playoffs no major changes will be made" is the worst case scenerio for the leafs as they dont have a core to win a championship

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
In case you forgot,

Reimer, phaneuf nd carlyle supporters hung their hats on the fact they got us to the playoffs for the first time in 9 years. And now everybody wants their heads

Making the playoffs won't happen but if it did, it would prevent changes

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO

team made more changes when they made the playoffs then the last collapse.

there are 7 changes from last years team, that went to the 7th game.

if we make it, i think we will beat boston this time around

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad