Do We Overreact to The Maple Leafs' Struggles at Times?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This organization hasn’t won a playoff series in 16 years. They’re failures until proven otherwise. It’s up to them to change the narrative. No one is overreacting to anything.. they just react to years of incompetence.

Because this group has been together 16 years and they keep failing? That's either overreacting or just pure nonsense.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It figures that this thread comes up after a three game winning streak. Some people just can't understand the difference between what constitutes a "fan" and what constitutes a "cheerleader".

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
There is nothing wrong about being in panic mode.

If everyone is running around like a chicken with their heads cut off . . . and you are all calm and relaxed. . . maybe you have not heard the news, and do not know what is happening . . .

:confused:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
OH MY GOD! NO! NO! NO! NOBODY HERE EVERY OVRRREACTS TO ANYTHING EVER AT ANY TIME!

HOW COULD YOU EVEN THINK THAT?!!??!!!??!!??!???!?!??

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

If everyone is running around like a chicken with their heads cut off . . . and you are all calm and relaxed. . . maybe you have not heard the news, and do not know what is happening . . .

Or maybe some have heard the same news and have made the decision to wait and see until behaving like the news they heard, was all there was to know.

See, overreaction isn't necessarily the problem. Because there's an element of a genuine mea culpa after the rest of the picture has been made clearer for some. The common qualifiers: "I didn't know" or "I thought it was worse than this" or "I thought it was something/someone else" actually demonstrate the concern of a person who loves the team and wants the best for it. That's fine.

There is another reaction that is being characterized as an overreaction that isn't, which presumes there aren't hard and fast unresolvable conclusions being made. But, they're fashioning opinions based on the starting point that nothing will ever get better. That's not an overreaction. It's a cynical reaction constantly waiting, fully rendered, for an opportunity to poison the well.

So to push your example a little further, you've got one group, the decapitated fowl in full frenzy responding to the repeated bad news cycle. Then you've got foxes, who are part of the the cause for the panic, who do their best not to be noticed by chickens or dogs. Then you've got dogs. Dogs who by design reject panic in an emergency as much as they reject elation during lunch. They can eat their lunch while watching for foxes hunting chickens.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Overreact?
Never!

Not let me get back to reading up on how a Zamboni driver single handedly took us out and how Campbell is the next Tim Thomas.....

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Or maybe some have heard the same news and have made the decision to wait and see until behaving like the news they heard, was all there was to know.

See, overreaction isn't necessarily the problem. Because there's an element of a genuine mea culpa after the rest of the picture has been made clearer for some. The common qualifiers: "I didn't know" or "I thought it was worse than this" or "I thought it was something/someone else" actually demonstrate the concern of a person who loves the team and wants the best for it. That's fine.

There is another reaction that is being characterized as an overreaction that isn't, which presumes there aren't hard and fast unresolvable conclusions being made. But, they're fashioning opinions based on the starting point that nothing will ever get better. That's not an overreaction. It's a cynical reaction constantly waiting, fully rendered, for an opportunity to poison the well.

So to push your example a little further, you've got one group, the decapitated fowl in full frenzy responding to the repeated bad news cycle. Then you've got foxes, who are part of the the cause for the panic, who do their best not to be noticed by chickens or dogs. Then you've got dogs. Dogs who by design reject panic in an emergency as much as they reject elation during lunch. They can eat their lunch while watching for foxes hunting chickens.
Well said. The part about overreactions masquerades as cynicism, that I can appreciate.

When I read that the backup goalie for Carolina, who was the Marlies Zamboni driver, after he beat the team that is owned by the organization that he works for, the Hockey Hall of Fame proudly has in it collection his goal stick from that game!

Call it anything we want, but that's not right! I feel so triggered . . .

:baghead:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
yes, there does seem to be a lot of irrational fans in Leaf Nation, but that's probably true for most teams. If the Leafs miss the playoffs this year, this forum will blow up and fans will be asking for a total cleanup of players, coaching and management.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Yes. Don’t say you weren’t warned. Babcock and Shanahan warned that there would be pain, yet many think it is unacceptable when there are struggles when it was instead foreshadowed.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
There are quite a few people on here playing the role of:

"I always knew the Leafs were going to be fine."

Are they Dubas apologists, Vegas odds makers, secret extra special insiders, or perhaps from the future?

:eek::oops:o_O:naughty:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Absolutely.

This is going to come off very high horse, but it is what it is.

The real “problem” with the fan base is that there are just too many casual fans in the mix, the fan that can’t separate emotion from facts.

There were times we should have been panicking a lot more, like when Carlyle was the coach. Most casual/small picture leafs fans refused to look at all of the problems with the team because we were winning games we shouldn’t have been.

The exact opposite is happening now with the Dubas era, people are shitting their pants over slumps but never look at the big picture.

That’s why you should never visit HF after a leafs loss or a slump, you get all the uneducated fans taking charge, no reason to get involved.

Every fan base has this, but it’s just too many of us, so those fans stick out more.

I know a ton of Leafs fans, I really only talk to handful of them because the rest don’t know anything insightful.

High horse mode off.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Absolutely.

The real “problem” with the fan base is that there are just too many casual fans in the mix, the fan that can’t separate emotion from facts.

There were times we should have been panicking a lot more, like when Carlyle was the coach. Most casual/small picture leafs fans refused to look at all of the problems with the team because we were winning games we shouldn’t have been.

The exact opposite is happening now with the Dubas era, people are shitting their pants over slumps but never look at the big picture.

That’s why you should never visit HF after a leafs loss or a slump, you get all the uneducated fans taking charge, no reason to get involved.

Every fan base has this, but it’s just too many of us, so those fans stick out more.

I know a ton of Leafs fans, I really only talk to handful of them because the rest don’t know anything insightful.

High horse mode off.

I disagree with a lot of this.

When the leafs win games they win because they scored more goals than the other team. The Nonis / Carlyle team won games they should have won. No one thought they were world beaters, but they were good enough to make the playoffs.

Also you shouldn't have to have a University degree to be a Leafs fan.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Absolutely.

High horse mode off.
People are wary that Dubas no doubt.
Until he builds up a successful NHL resume, you'd be silly not to be a little wary.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I disagree with a lot of this.

When the leafs win games they win because they scored more goals than the other team. The Nonis / Carlyle team won games they should have won. No one thought they were world beaters, but they were good enough to make the playoffs.

Also you shouldn't have to have a University degree to be a Leafs fan.

Never said you have to.

Everyone can try to understand the economy, but chances are, I won't be talking to people without degrees when I'm talking about investments. You'll find exceptions, sure, but that's how I see things, and it applies to my sports viewing as well.

When I talk to Leafs fans that don't understand or accept analytics, big picture context or just general facts, the conversation ends pretty quick.

Nothing to gain for either party.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
People are wary that Dubas no doubt.
Until he builds up a successful NHL resume, you'd be silly not to be a little wary.

The problem is that the Dubas hate can't really be backed up by anything at this moment, in my HONEST opinion.

A couple years down the road? That might be completely different, but as of today I find it very hard to hate on him as a GM.

When he put in HIS coach with the team that HE shaped, it has been a top 5 NHL team, despite having terrible goaltending.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
This board is one of the most toxic places on the planet after a Leafs loss. It's always the same people who completely overreact, start crazy threads and get involved on the main boards. I almost never visit within 24 hours of a bad loss.

If only they'd learn...

It doesn’t help that some people only post to trash the team, or to twist the knife every time something goes wrong.

Not to mention the ones who need to start a blood feud between whose better and whose not being given proper ice time. We have more internal rivalries than external ones most of the time.

Reactions: smitty10

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Never said you have to.

Everyone can try to understand the economy, but chances are, I won't be talking to people without degrees when I'm talking about investments. You'll find exceptions, sure, but that's how I see things, and it applies to my sports viewing as well.

When I talk to Leafs fans that don't understand or accept analytics, big picture context or just general facts, the conversation ends pretty quick.

Nothing to gain for either party.

There are plenty of grounded, well-informed fans who follow analytics. The same fans go nuts on referees when things don't go TOR's way.

Let's face it. Many of us are fanatics.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The problem is that the Dubas hate can't really be backed up by anything at this moment, in my HONEST opinion.

A couple years down the road? That might be completely different, but as of today I find it very hard to hate on him as a GM.

When he put in HIS coach with the team that HE shaped, it has been a top 5 NHL team, despite having terrible goaltending.
Hate is silly. Can't speak for others but for me it's just a feeling of unease I have with him in charge.
Opinions are tough to back up but there have been some things he's done that I haven't liked which drives this unease.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
This board is one of the most toxic places on the planet after a Leafs loss. It's always the same people who completely overreact, start crazy threads and get involved on the main boards. I almost never visit within 24 hours of a bad loss.

If only they'd learn...

Check out the volume of posts after losses versus after wins.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

When the masses agree with you, it is usually the first sign to step back and re-evaluate your opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad