Salary Cap: Do We or Don't We Have Money

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Has nothing to do with Soderberg and all to do with Kelly, aside from the fact that Soderberg gave the Bruins yet another option better suited to their needs at 3LC.

Kelly since the extension has 30 pts and -13 in 113 games, despite the fact that he gets a regular shift on a team that is a goal differential juggernaut (i.e. most everyone is a +).

All the things Kelly still does well can be done from the 4th line. If Eriksson is playing on line 1, then line 3 should be Fraser-Soderberg-Right Handed Winger

If Kelly's contract can't be moved by opening night, then Campbell's should be.

Amen my friend.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Has nothing to do with Soderberg and all to do with Kelly, aside from the fact that Soderberg gave the Bruins yet another option better suited to their needs at 3LC.

Kelly since the extension has 30 pts and -13 in 113 games, despite the fact that he gets a regular shift on a team that is a goal differential juggernaut (i.e. most everyone is a +).

All the things Kelly still does well can be done from the 4th line. If Eriksson is playing on line 1, then line 3 should be Fraser-Soderberg-Right Handed Winger

if this doesn't convince the Kelly apologists then idk what will.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

I could understand being concerned about his injury history but no way in hell do they go with soderberg and two rookies on the third line if Kelly is an option

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Which is foolish.

IMO, its actually more prudent to play Paille on the third line then Kelly, and both aren't great third line options at all..

Agree 100% about Campbell as well. 1.6 is a lot for a cap strapped team for your 4th line centerman.

Chia will keep them though IMO, already losing Iggy and Dangles as leadership..Would HATE to keep a Kelly and Soupy and dealing a Marchand say to make the cap room.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Which is foolish.

When's the last time they iced a line with two rookies? Let alone start the season with one as plan A
It's funny how divided people are on why the Bruins lost the Montreal series.

Some see it as pure bad luck, posts, Bruins deserved better.
I saw the team playing their worst hockey of the whole year at the worst time. I saw a team I could barely recognize most of the series. The way the team played in games 6 and 7 might have actually destroyed a part of my soul :laugh:

Dont think people are all that divided really- just some people think that hearing an idea for what could have helped is an argument about THE reason why they lost.
IMO, its actually more prudent to play Paille on the third line then Kelly, and both aren't great third line options at all..

Agree 100% about Campbell as well. 1.6 is a lot for a cap strapped team for your 4th line centerman.

Chia will keep them though IMO, already losing Iggy and Dangles as leadership..Would HATE to keep a Kelly and Soupy and dealing a Marchand say to make the cap room.
Dont think its some thing to realistically worry about.

Last edited:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
When's the last time they iced a line with two rookies? Let alone start the season with one as plan A

Last year with Soderberg and Smith?

But you're assuming the RW is a rookie they could/should make a deal with some of their young assets.

Instead they'll triple down in counting on Kelly bring a legit third liner. 3rd times a charm hopefully

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Last year with Soderberg and Smith?

But you're assuming the RW is a rookie they could/should make a deal with some of their young assets.

Instead they'll triple down in counting on Kelly bring a legit third liner. 3rd times a charm hopefully

Totally forgot Soderberg/Kelly/Smith! :laugh: Still think its slim chances they go Soderberg Rookie Rookie. If kelly stays he's starting as the third line wing and IMO when he's healthy he's a solid third liner/penalty killer. Question is when/if he will be healthy and what other options they will have.

I cant buy into an imaginary player x that they will trade for is a better option. Seems like nothing more than blind ******** on Kelly.

member 96824

if this doesn't convince the Kelly apologists then idk what will.

The numbers were even worse pre-Soderberg moving to center and the third line tearing up March. It didnt do a thing but provide some good tertiary humor:naughty:

But on a serious note, Mike has hit it on the head. Kelly's been playing as a 4th line player, doing the role of a 4th liner, putting up 4th line numbers...yeah paid and played in a top 9 role. It's not an ideal situation for either party involved IMO.

I'd love to see a Paille-Campbell-Kelly line...I think it would be very dangerous...wanted it last year. However, unless some cheap rooks step up, Kelly will again start another season out of position...three straight now.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The numbers were even worse pre-Soderberg moving to center and the third line tearing up March. It didnt do a thing but provide some good tertiary humor:naughty:

But on a serious note, Mike has hit it on the head. Kelly's been playing as a 4th line player, doing the role of a 4th liner, putting up 4th line numbers...yeah paid and played in a top 9 role. It's not an ideal situation for either party involved IMO.

I'd love to see a Paille-Campbell-Kelly line...I think it would be very dangerous...wanted it last year. However, unless some cheap rooks step up, Kelly will again start another season out of position...three straight now.

It's very difficult for me to abide the idea of having all three of these players on the roster to start the year. I think there's neither cap room NOR roster space if we're genuinely giving the kids chances to play.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

It would be a very good line. I just feel if Kelly stays, Campbell is packing his bags. They both play a similar style, Kelly the superior player, but Campbell with the better cap hit. In our cap situation I would keep Soup. But you know that's not happening, Chiarelli's love child will most likely be a Bruin next season.

Mr. Make-Believe

Those are some ugly ****in' numbers.

I'm not as down on Kelly as some, but even his most fervent fans have to be disappointed with that line.

It didn't look like that bad of a contract when he was scoring a point every other game and was a +30 coming off a Cup win. I didn't think he'd keep it up to that extent, but I also wasn't expecting that drastic of a drop. That's indefensible.

member 96824

It's very difficult for me to abide the idea of having all three of these players on the roster to start the year. I think there's neither cap room NOR roster space if we're genuinely giving the kids chances to play.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Reilly Smith ($2.000m)
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Matt Fraser ($0.688m)
Ryan Spooner ($0.760m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m)
Jordan Caron ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m)
Torey Krug ($2.000m) / Kevan Miller ($0.800m)
Zach Trotman ($0.625m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)
LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,779,500
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,437,833; BONUSES: $710,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $562,167

My opening night "guess." Ive voiced how I feel about Kelly, and specifically Kelly's cash, be if need be...oh well. We started 2013 with Chris ****ing Bourque.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Those are some ugly ****in' numbers.

I'm not as down on Kelly as some, but even his most fervent fans have to be disappointed with that line.

It didn't look like that bad of a contract when he was scoring a point every other game and was a +30 coming off a Cup win. I didn't think he'd keep it up to that extent, but I also wasn't expecting that drastic of a drop. That's indefensible.
He's played with some, and been knocked by some, pretty serious injuries that have taken their toll during that stretch- broken leg- concussion- broken ankle- herniated disk all in those two years. It's not like those #'s came in a vacuum.

Last edited:

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I don't see how you can justify keeping Kelly AND Campbell, especially when two of your best players from Providence are centers as well. You've got 7 natural centers there. Love the character of Kelly/Campbell but something's gotta give here.

Mr. Make-Believe

FORWARDS
Jordan Caron ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zach Trotman ($0.625m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,779,500
------

My opening night "guess." Ive voiced how I feel about Kelly, and specifically Kelly's cash, be if need be...oh well. We started 2013 with Chris ****ing Bourque.

At least Chris Bourque wasn't on your top line. :laugh:

That can't be what the roster looks like game one. That's awful and there's no cap space for anything. I know you're not advocating anything, so this isn't a critique of YOU. I just can't imagine starting the year with Caron, Kelly on the fourth line, Fraser on the top unit, two right-handed shots, a Seidenberg/Boychuk pairing and Spooner on the left... All with no cap room. It's a disaster.

Mr. Make-Believe

He's played with some, and been knocked by some, pretty serious injuries that have taken their toll during that stretch- broken leg- concussion- broken ankle- herniated disk all in those two years. It's not like those #'s came in a vacuum.

I didn't think they did.

I think they're atrocious enough to appalled by regardless.

member 96824

At least Chris Bourque wasn't on your top line. :laugh:

That can't be what the roster looks like game one. That's awful and there's no cap space for anything. I know you're not advocating anything, so this isn't a critique of YOU. I just can't imagine starting the year with Caron, Kelly on the fourth line, Fraser on the top unit, two right-handed shots, a Seidenberg/Boychuk pairing and Spooner on the left... All with no cap room. It's a disaster.

Right, but I dont think they have takers for Kelly anymore...

Fraser isnt one to be underestimated. Very good AHL numbers, skills and size that translate. I could see him with Lucic-Krejci to provide balance but also because of his similarity to Horton/Iginla. Could just as easy slide Loui up there if you want to "load up" the top 6, but I dont think thats the route Claude would take.

I'm not sure, but either way...the forward group will be the weakest we've opened with since probably 08?

Feels a lot like another tweener year. 08-10-12-15?

Mr. Make-Believe

Right, but I dont think they have takers for Kelly anymore...

Fraser isnt one to be underestimated. Very good AHL numbers, skills and size that translate. I could see him with Lucic-Krejci to provide balance but also because of his similarity to Horton/Iginla. Could just as easy slide Loui up there if you want to "load up" the top 6, but I dont think thats the route Claude would take.

I'm not sure, but either way...the forward group will be the weakest we've opened with since probably 08?

Feels a lot like another tweener year. 08-10-12-15?

This is the point of my other thread. We try to replicate and "bridge" the year, it's going to lead to another disappointing "meh" kinda season. The type of season that has one watching the Calgary Flames because while they may not be as good, they're at least doing something interesting every night.

I don't think it has to be a tweener year. And I think we'd be doing ourselves a disservice in either deluding ourselves to think that no changes will amount to another successful season, or resigning ourselves to one that we can basically throw away.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
FORWARDS
Jordan Caron ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zach Trotman ($0.625m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,779,500
------

Unless Chiarelli succeeds in trading him without taking any money back or he fails to clear waivers, you've got to add $300K for Bartkowski being "buried" in the minors.

Cap space would be $262,167.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I didn't think they did.

I think they're atrocious enough to appalled by regardless.

Sure- but if we're expecting everyone to be healthy why should those #'s appall us going into the new season? Healthy with Soderberg and Eriksson on a third line and I think he's a 20is 20ish 40ish player who brings all the glue guy "extras".

member 96824

Unless Chiarelli succeeds in trading him without taking any money back or he fails to clear waivers, you've got to add $300K for Bartkowski being "buried" in the minors.

Cap space would be $262,167.

Under the assumption of trading Bart and McQuaid.

Bart has pulled plenty of interest in the past, dude has been traded twice by the B's already (Morrow and Iginla)

member 96824

Sure- but if we're expecting everyone to be healthy why should those #'s appall us going into the new season? Healthy with Soderberg and Eriksson on a third line and I think he's a 20is 20ish 40ish player who brings all the glue guy "extras".

Only been that guy once in his career. I think thats a lot to expect...like a ton.

We arent on the same page today :laugh:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Under the assumption of trading Bart and McQuaid.

Bart has pulled plenty of interest in the past, dude has been traded twice by the B's already (Morrow and Iginla)

:pout:

I did not notice McQuaid's absence from your roster. Shame on me.

So they would be over the cap even if they "buried" Bartkowski and McQuaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad