Salary Cap: Do We or Don't We Have Money

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
CAP Geek shows we are over $809,143 with 21 players signed, 7 D and 12 F. That includes Savard's salary hit of $4,027,143. Since he will go on LTIR on second 1, or very close to it, it looks like we have over $3,000,000 available.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
CAP Geek shows we are over $809,143 with 21 players signed, 7 D and 12 F. That includes Savard's salary hit of $4,027,143. Since he will go on LTIR on second 1, or very close to it, it looks like we have over $3,000,000 available.

Florek is on there too, he could be demoted.

member 96824

And cant use Savard's LTIR until the first day so 5 mil has to go bye bye unless they sign Smith and Krug the day after they put Savard on LTIR , like what October?

Which would be opening night. Believe rosters go in 5pm the day before.

Cant imagine the first time Krug and Smith skate with the team would be game 1

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And cant use Savard's LTIR until the first day so 5 mil has to go bye bye unless they sign Smith and Krug the day after they put Savard on LTIR , like what October?

Yep. That's exactly why I call it cap mismanagement. He has to move money out just to resign those guys, and can't use the LTIR. Not that he's used it all that often anyways.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Isn't there something about going over by 10%. That would give us 75 mil available until Savard went on LTIR.

member 96824

Isn't there something about going over by 10%. That would give us 75 mil available until Savard went on LTIR.

Can go 10% over during offseason but you must be compliant day 1 WITH Savard before he goes LTIR.

10% rule is why we can sit over the cap right now.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yep. That's exactly why I call it cap mismanagement. He has to move money out just to resign those guys, and can't use the LTIR. Not that he's used it all that often anyways.

http://capgeek.com/bruins/

Good Lord that 4.8 mil overage looks AWFUL on there. 7 pct of your cap unusable and Savard's 4.1mil on there too....

Almost nine million of dead money until day one of the regular season..Urgh.

A+ ;)

I need Dom, where are you? make this better.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Good Lord that 4.8 mil overage looks AWFUL on there. 7 pct of your cap unusable and Savard's 4.1mil on there too....

A+ ;)

Dead money? No way. He's a capologist....:naughty:

That's why I don't understand the folks who can't see the issue. He's got nearly 9 mill in dead space, and he still doesn't have a full roster.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The team can make some paper moves to get under the cap with a 20 person roster. They can then put Savard on LTIR and sign Krug and Smith the first day of the season. But, the Savard LTIR money is still not enough to sign Krug and Smith, and you need a 13th forward and little cap cushion during the season, too.

They probably need to clear about 3 million in cap space from where they are now. Moving on from either McQuaid or Bart is a no brainer since there are 3 D for the 6 and 7 spots. You could move both, and rely on Warsofsky/Trotman/Morrow to act as your 7th D. Remember, since you need to still have a 7th D, let's say it's Warsofsky at 600k, you are only saving an additional 600k dealing both. Let's deal both.

That's 1.8 out of three. If you then move Campbell, and replace him with another 600k guy, you are looking at 2.8 out of the three, which is good enough.

If you can move Kelly, this all gets a lot easier, but his injury, longer term, age and NTC make that harder than some Bruins fan think. Moving something big like Boychuk doesn't need to happen unless it's a hockey deal to take care of the RW problem.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

The Iginla deal was a risky move that didn't pay off because Krejci had a bad series. I don't think it was bad cap management, it was an aggressive move to win a Cup and now the piper is being paid. Also,the cap was supposed to be a few million higher this year, and the team would have been fine, but the Canadian dollar screwed everything up.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH

A+ ;)

I guess signing Iginla for 6 mil was a mistake. It's going to cost us some good players and be hard on our reputation to get out of this. Does anyone know for sure if Eriksson's NTC is voided? CAP Geek says "may have been".

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The Iginla deal was a risky move that didn't pay off because Krejci had a bad series. I don't think it was bad cap management, it was an aggressive move to win a Cup and now the piper is being paid. Also,the cap was supposed to be a few million higher this year, and the team would have been fine, but the Canadian dollar screwed everything up.

An aggressive move in the off season that was invalidated by the lack of roster augmentation at the deadline, IMO. If you want to make a play and load up, you can't do it halfway.

Regardless of what you call it, counting on the cap going up and then having it not is still a miscue on his part. It may be semantics, but misreading the situation and not having enough money to even ice a full roster is bad, no? :laugh:

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
The team can make some paper moves to get under the cap with a 20 person roster. They can then put Savard on LTIR and sign Krug and Smith the first day of the season. But, the Savard LTIR money is still not enough to sign Krug and Smith, and you need a 13th forward and little cap cushion during the season, too.

They probably need to clear about 3 million in cap space from where they are now. Moving on from either McQuaid or Bart is a no brainer since there are 3 D for the 6 and 7 spots. You could move both, and rely on Warsofsky/Trotman/Morrow to act as your 7th D. Remember, since you need to still have a 7th D, let's say it's Warsofsky at 600k, you are only saving an additional 600k dealing both. Let's deal both.

That's 1.8 out of three. If you then move Campbell, and replace him with another 600k guy, you are looking at 2.8 out of the three, which is good enough.

If you can move Kelly, this all gets a lot easier, but his injury, longer term, age and NTC make that harder than some Bruins fan think. Moving something big like Boychuk doesn't need to happen unless it's a hockey deal to take care of the RW problem.

I doubt they will wait until the first day of the season to sign them. If they aren't signed they won't be in training camp and it takes training camp to get their "game conditioning". Given our current team, I'd be willing to move Campbell and Kelly but not McQuaid or Bartkowski. I consider McQuaid and important part and Bartkowski is signed to a real friendly contract. I'd trade the rights to Krug first. Also I think one of Marchand or Eriksson will go.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
An aggressive move in the off season that was invalidated by the lack of roster augmentation at the deadline, IMO. If you want to make a play and load up, you can't do it halfway.

Regardless of what you call it, counting on the cap going up and then having it not is still a miscue on his part. It may be semantics, but misreading the situation and not having enough money to even ice a full roster is bad, no? :laugh:

It is too bad they couldn't work out a way to get a Seids replacement. Even now though, having to move on from Campbell, McQuaid and Bart a year early isn't the end of the world.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Could they clear enough by demoting everyone who is waver ineligible in a paper transaction on day one to invoke Savard's LTIR. It would leave them roughly 1.5 mil over the cap (800k + 4.5 ish in Krug/Smith - Savard's LTIR). The 1.5 could be dealt with by dealing a guy like McQuaid or Campbell.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I doubt they will wait until the first day of the season to sign them. If they aren't signed they won't be in training camp and it takes training camp to get their "game conditioning". Given our current team, I'd be willing to move Campbell and Kelly but not McQuaid or Bartkowski. I consider McQuaid and important part and Bartkowski is signed to a real friendly contract. I'd trade the rights to Krug first. Also I think one of Marchand or Eriksson will go.

Think of it year over year. Last year they have a team with three legitimate lines:
ML-DK-JI
RS-PB-BM
LE-CS-CK

This year, if what you say happens, it looks like this:

ML-DK-LE
RS-PB-??
CK-CS-??

Or

ML-DK-??
RS-PB-BM
CK-CS-??

And that's just on the top 9 for the forwards, not even including defense. I don't know about you guys, but to me, that's a huge drop off year over year in talent. The 4th line is also going to be completely different. Paille may slot up, but that weakens the bottom line and he's shown he's not really an impact player if he's on your top 9.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It is too bad they couldn't work out a way to get a Seids replacement. Even now though, having to move on from Campbell, McQuaid and Bart a year early isn't the end of the world.

It's not, but it does impact their depth. And since it shows how weak that depth is just by losing one player from their top 6. They've used depth as a difference maker over the years, but with people slotting up, and them having to move roster players to create space for Smith and Krug, it really leaves them dangerously thin. Their bottom 6 will be rookies, young guys, and overpaid vets who don't really make their depth better than everyone else. So they lack an elite scorer up front, and can't really cover that up with depth like they've done in the past. So again, I'm back to cap mismanagement. :laugh:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

They can actually skate with the team during camp w/o a contract (see Marchand in the 11/12 season). Its really only one of them that would have to sign on day 1. If it costs them a couple points in the regular season standings as Krug gets into game shape to keep themselves from doing something to severely hurt their playoff chances like dealing a top 6 forward, sign me up 10 times out of 10.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It's not, but it does impact their depth. And since it shows how weak that depth is just by losing one player from their top 6. They've used depth as a difference maker over the years, but with people slotting up, and them having to move roster players to create space for Smith and Krug, it really leaves them dangerously thin. Their bottom 6 will be rookies, young guys, and overpaid vets who don't really make their depth better than everyone else. So they lack an elite scorer up front, and can't really cover that up with depth like they've done in the past. So again, I'm back to cap mismanagement. :laugh:

I'd call it poor development of cheap young forwards :).

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I mean if Spooner can score 45 points and Fraser can pot 15-20, isn't that an upgrade over Campbell and Thornton being on the roster? Maybe the depth issues aren't so bad. Soderberg, Smith and Krug certainly worked out well last year.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

See, I wouldn't even call it that, since most fans don't even know what we have in the guys down in Providence. I'd call it poor integration of youth, or a lack of confidence in those guys, which leads them to overpay to keep bottom of the roster types. You know, the guys who should be replaced by younger, cheaper alternatives when their deals are up. Instead, we have them resigned to long term deals at higher dollar values than they really deserve, and NTC's thrown on top...:laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I mean if Spooner can score 45 points and Fraser can pot 15-20, isn't that an upgrade over Campbell and Thornton being on the roster? Maybe the depth issues aren't so bad. Soderberg, Smith and Krug certainly worked out well last year.

Did you just quote yourself? Is that the hockey board equivalent of talking about yourself in the 3rd person? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad