Salary Cap: Do We or Don't We Have Money

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
would have really liked to have seen Kelly in the playoffs, not sure if his presence would have altered the outcome with our "go to" guys MIA but....

kelly wouldve made a difference against mtl. in my opinion at least.

he gets taken for granted on these boards. Hes a key player on the team when healthy.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

he gets taken for granted on these boards. Hes a key player on the team when healthy.

Key? No. He's a role player on a winning team. He was injured and his role wasn't sufficiently filled (arguably at least). I'd say Seidenberg being missing was a bigger role that should have been filled.

member 96824

Kelly doesnt really provide what we were missing..finish.

Although by default, he worked harder than anyone in game 6 or 7 did.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Kelly doesnt really provide what we were missing..finish.

Although by default, he worked harder than anyone in game 6 or 7 did.

Since I wasn't around, what was the general feeling on these boards about the inexcusable lack of effort and finish in games 6 and 7?

Was it typical gumdrops and lollipops or were people actually pissed for once?

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Since I wasn't around, what was the general feeling on these boards about the inexcusable lack of effort and finish in games 6 and 7?

Really gumdrops and lollipops on this board. boy you have been gone a while :p:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

Like any other time on this board. Portion of people were gumdrops and lollipops, portion of the people doom and gloom, and each portion painted the entire board as the opposite.

And those posters who have an individual scapegoat on the team were quick to blame those two games on that particular player.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Like any other time on this board. Portion of people were gumdrops and lollipops, portion of the people doom and gloom, and each portion painted the entire board as the opposite.

And those posters who have an individual scapegoat on the team were quick to blame those two games on that particular player.

Business as usual then I see.. :laugh:

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary

Pissed? Why would anyone be pissed in the effort of game 6? I thought they were hitting and taking charge of that entire game. I have rarely seen an effort like that from the bruins. Thomas was on his game, and Luongo looked laughably terrible.

:sarcasm:

member 96824

They lost because of goal posts. Montreal got lucky

Luckily, this season will be played with floating nets.

member 96824

He does provide the team with focus though- and IMO that was the real achilles heel of the series for Boston.

This team, with everything they've been through and the locker room presence they have, should not rely on one person to keep the roster focused in games 6 and games 7 against a rival in the playoffs.

At all.

Ever.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
This team, with everything they've been through and the locker room presence they have, should not rely on one person to keep the roster focused in games 6 and games 7 against a rival in the playoffs.

At all.

Ever.
He is a big part of that "locker room presence they have." With Chara injured and drugged up, Seidenberg on the shelf, and Ference in Edmonton, Kelly would have been a very positive influence on keeping guys focused. Whether we expect and demand it of them now- they weren't when they needed to be. Hell, having him out there on the PK could have helped solve a lot of issues they were having as they rotated guys like Marchand and Eriksson into the PK and away from their strengths.

member 96824

He is a big part of that "locker room presence they have." With Chara injured and drugged up, Seidenberg on the shelf, and Ference in Edmonton, Kelly would have been a very positive influence on keeping guys focused. Whether we expect and demand it of them now- they weren't when they needed to be. Hell, having him out there on the PK could have helped solve a lot of issues they were having as they rotated guys like Marchand and Eriksson into the PK and away from their strengths.

Marchand and Eriksson consistently were on the PK. Marchand has been for years now. Krejci had to be rotated in, but it's not a position he hasn't filled in the past before. He would have helped on the PK, but I don't believe that Kelly is the difference in being outscored 7-1 in the final two games.

Seidenberg was still around the team plenty, practicing and skating every day, Chara still there (I don't believe that injuries affect leadership abilities?), Thornton, Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron, Boychuk, etc.

If the team doesn't have enough leadership to keep it together in the playoffs and give some sort of effort against Montreal, we've got some serious issues on that front. I don't believe that's the case at all though. It was an issue last year as well against Toronto, with Chara fully healthy, Ference in Boston, Kelly on the ice, Seidenberg on the top pair, etc.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Marchand and Eriksson consistently were on the PK. Marchand has been for years now. Krejci had to be rotated in, but it's not a position he hasn't filled in the past before. He would have helped on the PK, but I don't believe that Kelly is the difference in being outscored 7-1 in the final two games.

Seidenberg was still around the team plenty, practicing and skating every day, Chara still there (I don't believe that injuries affect leadership abilities?), Thornton, Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron, Boychuk, etc.

If the team doesn't have enough leadership to keep it together in the playoffs and give some sort of effort against Montreal, we've got some serious issues on that front. I don't believe that's the case at all though. It was an issue last year as well against Toronto, with Chara fully healthy, Ference in Boston, Kelly on the ice, Seidenberg on the top pair, etc.

Right, so missing Kelly we needed our 1st line center and both 2nd line wings to spend their ice time killing penalties. And whether we think they should need to focus better doesn't change the fact that they did need to focus better- get off to better starts and maintain their composure.

I get it though- you don't think Kelly brings anything because the team already has it- except when they don't.

member 96824

Right, so missing Kelly we needed our 1st line center and both 2nd line wings to spend their ice time killing penalties. And whether we think they should need to focus better doesn't change the fact that they did need to focus better- get off to better starts and maintain their composure.

I get it though- you don't think Kelly brings anything because the team already has it- except when they don't.

Marchand and Eriksson would have been killing penalties regardless...as they have for years and years. Kelly's injury didnt change that. Krejci was rotated in, unfortunate, but not the end of the world. He's hardly the first center who's been asked to kill penalties and produce at the same time.

I dont think Chris Kelly affects the series. We were up 3-2 without him. Beat Detroit without him. I think you're discrediting the locker room way too much. Its 2014, they dont need someone to tell them to show up for a game 7, theyve played a few. If they're lost at sea on what to do in a game 7 against Montreal...we've got an entire roster to rebuild.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Our PK probably could have used Kelly. But other than that I don't think the results change a whole lot with him in the lineup. And that's not a knock to Kelly. Our problems were well beyond what Chris Kelly could solve. Maybe we sneak out of the Montreal series with a win but with our best players playing the way they did and an injured Chara, I doubt we go further and had no chance at beating the Kings for the Cup. They would have killed us in the finals if we made it there somehow, much as I hate to say it.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Marchand and Eriksson would have been killing penalties regardless...as they have for years and years. Kelly's injury didnt change that. Krejci was rotated in, unfortunate, but not the end of the world. He's hardly the first center who's been asked to kill penalties and produce at the same time.

I dont think Chris Kelly affects the series. We were up 3-2 without him. Beat Detroit without him. I think you're discrediting the locker room way too much. Its 2014, they dont need someone to tell them to show up for a game 7, theyve played a few. If they're lost at sea on what to do in a game 7 against Montreal...we've got an entire roster to rebuild.

They were up 3 games to 2 without him, true enough.

But perhaps...just perhaps, with Kelly in the line-up they kill off just one or 2 more penalties...it's possible they could have been up 4 games to 2 with him.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Key? No. He's a role player on a winning team. He was injured and his role wasn't sufficiently filled (arguably at least). I'd say Seidenberg being missing was a bigger role that should have been filled.

true.
we go to the finals with seides. no question.

Kelly is not a big offensive guy, but he wouldve taken key pk minutes from our top guys. he's was perfect on the 3rd line.

member 96824

They were up 3 games to 2 without him, true enough.

But perhaps...just perhaps, with Kelly in the line-up they kill off just one or 2 more penalties...it's possible they could have been up 4 games to 2 with him.

If I remember right, weren't the 2 power play goals Vanek's that made it 4-0 late in game 6 and Briere that made it 3-1 late in game 7? I know the PK sucked in game one, but other than that I don't recall it having much of an impact.

Maybe you could make a case for Briere's, but even then...the deed was basically all but done at that point. It was lack of effort in those two games.

I'm not saying they couldn't have won it with Kelly. I just don't think it's stone cold that Chris Kelly would have been the difference maker in not losing the final two games 7-1.

We lost in the first round in 2012 with Kelly playing out of his mind and the rest of the team not showing up.
We made it to game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals with the rest of the team playing well and Chris Kelly not even playing hockey.

Which of those is most similar to the situation Kelly would be walking into?

I will give Chris Kelly credit though, like I said...he was the hardest working Bruin in both games 6 and game 7.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
true.
we go to the finals with seides. no question.

Kelly is not a big offensive guy, but he wouldve taken key pk minutes from our top guys. he's was perfect on the 3rd line.

Soderberg was perfect on the 3rd line, Kelly had and has played himself into being a 3rd/4th line tweener at 3rd line prices. That doesn't scream perfect to me at all.

I repeat this a lot, we don't play top 6 bottom 6. We play top 9 bottom 3. Chris Kelly is no longer a prototypical Boston Bruins 3rd liner, and really hasn't been since the lockout.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It's funny how divided people are on why the Bruins lost the Montreal series.

Some see it as pure bad luck, posts, Bruins deserved better.
I saw the team playing their worst hockey of the whole year at the worst time. I saw a team I could barely recognize most of the series. The way the team played in games 6 and 7 might have actually destroyed a part of my soul :laugh:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

I saw the team playing their worst hockey of the whole year at the worst time. I saw a team I could barely recognize most of the series. The way the team played in games 6 and 7 might have actually destroyed a part of my soul :laugh:

I thought they deserved a better fate early on, and then stunk the joint out when they had a chance to close.

It happens, good teams lose at inopportune times. See Pittsburgh, San Jose etc. Every year you're going to see at least an upset or two. The team didn't look good at the end, but that alone isn't necessarily an indication of the state of the union. It sucks, especially considering the opponent, but a little perspective is required.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
How does soderberg move Kelly to the fourth line?

Has nothing to do with Soderberg and all to do with Kelly, aside from the fact that Soderberg gave the Bruins yet another option better suited to their needs at 3LC.

Kelly since the extension has 30 pts and -13 in 113 games, despite the fact that he gets a regular shift on a team that is a goal differential juggernaut (i.e. most everyone is a +).

All the things Kelly still does well can be done from the 4th line. If Eriksson is playing on line 1, then line 3 should be Fraser-Soderberg-Right Handed Winger

If Kelly's contract can't be moved by opening night, then Campbell's should be.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

the main reason they lose to the habs is because the habs get under their skin.
no matter how bad or good the habs team is. we will always have a problem with them. The one player on the Bruins that doesnt get thrown off their game is #37

thats why i always want to avoid them in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad