Salary Cap: Do We or Don't We Have Money

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Sure- but if we're expecting everyone to be healthy why should those #'s appall us going into the new season? Healthy with Soderberg and Eriksson on a third line and I think he's a 20is 20ish 40ish player who brings all the glue guy "extras".

I don't think he is. I don't think he'll hit anywhere near the 20 mark again.

I think 30 points, we'd consider ourselves lucky.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
:pout:

I did not notice McQuaid's absence from your roster. Shame on me.

So they would be over the cap even if they "buried" Bartkowski and McQuaid.

And managed to sign Krug and Smith to $4M between them. :laugh: Maybe? Could happen?

I'd be shocked though if someone of more financial substance other than McQuaid isn't traded.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Only been that guy once in his career. I think thats a lot to expect...like a ton.

We arent on the same page today :laugh:

Right- in his one healthy season in Boston he did it. In the seasons he wasn't he didn't.

Style wise that would be a hell of a balanced line (Kelly/Soderberg/Eriksson)- but too many variables to predict much of anything other than the Marchand-Bergeron-Smith line.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Sure- but if we're expecting everyone to be healthy why should those #'s appall us going into the new season? Healthy with Soderberg and Eriksson on a third line and I think he's a 20is 20ish 40ish player who brings all the glue guy "extras".

He's had a season like that exactly once in his entire career, and it came via an unsustainable shooting %

Now he's 34 coming off back problems which in professional sports usually means the end, 40 pts seems a lot like wishful thinking.

member 96824

He was bad before the injuries in both seasons.

The most amazing Chris Kelly stat to me is that last year in the playoffs, he managed to put up 0 points, and a MINUS 2! in the 9 games combined against NYR and PIT..in which we were 8-1 and scored 28 goals while only giving up 12.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The most amazing Chris Kelly stat to me is that last year in the playoffs, he managed to put up 0 points, and a MINUS 2! in the 9 games combined against NYR and PIT..in which we were 8-1 and scored 28 goals while only giving up 12.

Lol weren't you just whining about how disgusted you were by people cherry picking stats?

Last edited:

member 96824

Lol weren't you whining about cherry picking stats?

I could use the whole post season if we want?

I'm not picking and choosing certain games from certain series', discluding his best games(because those don't count for some reason) and extending his worst stretch over 82 game periods.

Just pointing out that in those two series, where we absolutely wiped the floor with those two teams, it was nearly impossible to come out with a minus rating...but it was done. Without even a positive game.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I could use the whole post season if we want?

I'm not picking and choosing certain games from certain series', discluding his best games(because those don't count for some reason) and extending his worst stretch over 82 game periods.

Just pointing out that in those two series, where we absolutely wiped the floor with those two teams, it was nearly impossible to come out with a minus rating...but it was done. Without even a positive game.

You can use whatever you want- IMO he was off his game and a step behind because he was still coming back from a broken leg. Only started to get back into form by the finals- if they got a little more luck with injuries there and if some healthy no shows could find some sack I think they take that series. But ifs are what they are.

It is a little strange though to talk up that third line in those playoffs to defend seguin's lack of production and target it here to mock Kelly.

Last edited:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
You can use whatever you want- IMO he was off his game and a step behind because he was still coming back from a broken leg. Only started to get back into form by the finals- if they got a little more luck with injuries there and if some healthy no shows could find some sack I think they take that series. But ifs are what they are.

He was -6 with 6pts in 23 games before the injury. He's been subpar since the lockout before and after his injuries and he'll be 34 this year.

We could have taken that series if he had tapped in an open net feed on a play started by a player whose sack you're obsessed with. He wasn't rounding into form, he played the same awful hockey last year beginning to end.

member 96824

It is a little strange though to talk up that third line in those playoffs to defend seguin's lack of production and target it here to mock Kelly.

The funny part about the bolded is I was thinking the same thing only the other way around...but don't see the need to cross threads.

Kelly wasn't good after the trade originally for him. Was good in the 11 playoffs, very good the first half of 2012(An 11 point month of November for a typically 25-30 point player?:amazed:), came back to earth and has been bad post lockout.

I'm not counting on Chris Kelly to ever shoot 16% again like he did that year. I'm not counting on him to score 20 like he did that year, nor do I expect 40 points from him. I'd definitely take the under in any wager on that and it would be easy money.

He's a good player, but he's not a top 9 player. Not a knock on him, just what it comes down to.

Plenty of blame to go around for the result of the 2013 playoffs, so you don't have to spend too too much time thinking about Seguins sack my friend. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He was -6 with 6pts in 23 games before the injury. He's been subpar since the lockout before and after his injuries and he'll be 34 this year.

We could have taken that series if he had tapped in an open net feed on a play started by a player whose sack you're obsessed with. He wasn't rounding into form, he played the same awful hockey last year beginning to end.

LOL easy tiger- I get it- you don't like the guy. :laugh: and fwiw I thought seguin was learning how to play the grind it out game- Did not like Jagr at all.

member 96824

No more Chris Kelly talk for me unless it involves Salt N Pepa. Can't let it ruin this monumental sequel on TV tonight

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
LOL easy tiger- I get it- you don't like the guy. :laugh:

Like has nothing to do with it, I like him just fine. That's always the fun part of Kelly discussions, if you cite how weak his play has been, you don't "like" him. I don't like his contract, I'm realistic about his play.

But again, we're in a cap crunch and since we likely can't move him, we're stuck with the only bad contract on the team and we're carrying a cap penalty because we didn't move on from that contract when we had the chance last summer.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
That's not entirely true, though. Would have had a cap penalty even without Kelly this year, I believe. Around 4 million, right? Kelly's is a 3m hit but his replacement would have had a cap hit, too. So maybe you save around 2 million from the cap penalty but there would still be one.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
That's not entirely true, though. Would have had a cap penalty even without Kelly this year, I believe. Around 4 million, right? Kelly's is a 3m hit but his replacement would have had a cap hit, too. So maybe you save around 2 million from the cap penalty but there would still be one.

Sure, but $5m would be useful right now, no?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
getting rid of Kelly this year would have helped us minimally, but getting rid of him last year would have helped a lot because it would have cut Iginla's bonus overage significantly. You could say it's just hindsight but a lot of people were ready to move him last year before he even got hurt.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Sure, but $5m would be useful right now, no?

Sure, of course. But I don't think we can blame Kelly for taking the money, we've seen comparable making the same. I like Kelly but just wish he had Campbell's cap hit. But this was PCs gamble. But I'll always argue that he approached 13/14 well but could have done more after Dennis went down (to improve the team).

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
kelly is what he is.
but we dont have a legit first line rw for the first time since 2010.
we all know where we finished scoring that year.

its gonna be a rough season offensively.
hopefully they gel in may this year instead of march.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
kelly is what he is.
but we dont have a legit first line rw for the first time since 2010.
we all know where we finished scoring that year.

its gonna be a rough season offensively.
hopefully they gel in may this year instead of march.

Even if the Bruins had scored 40 less goals last year (which is the whole production of Iginla and Loui), they would have finished 15 in the NHL in scoring and 4th behind Ana-Chi-Stl for best GF/GA ratio at +0,59 per game.

That's how good they were.

Any reason to think our defense won't be again top in the league? Especially with the return of Seidenberg?

We will be again.

member 96824

Even if the Bruins had scored 40 less goals last year (which is the whole production of Iginla and Loui), they would have finished 15 in the NHL in scoring and 4th behind Ana-Chi-Stl for best GF/GA ratio at +0,59 per game.

That's how good they were.

Any reason to think our defense won't be again top in the league? Especially with the return of Seidenberg?

We will be again.

In 2010 they were second in the league in goals against.

I worry because I think our forward group this year is even weaker than that year started out. Similar issues as well.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
In 2010 they were second in the league in goals against.

I worry because I think our forward group this year is even weaker than that year started out. Similar issues as well.

I think our forward group is much better than in 2010. More offense from the D too with Hamilton+Krug.

And how can we be worse than 2010? That team was 2nd worse scoring team in the league. Was still good enough for 6th in the East and a healthy Krejci away from the ECF...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad