Do we now have a new MUSKOKA 5,?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Does anyone remember the other phenomenon that was going on at the time of the Muskoka 5? Yep. That's right. The Legion of Fume. When the strike ended The Refs cracked down on inference, and obstruction. Not to mention can openers. In response the brilliant JFJ put together one of the biggest/slowest teams imaginable: Lindros, Allison, Kilger, Antropov, etc. Holy God it was a snail race. An absolute travesty really.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Very good points. I agree 100% with these. The "in that moment" was handled very immaturely and stupidly by management. That however I feel is a whole essay on it's own and more deep than the Muskoka 5 nick name. We were not a respected organization around that time. Viewed as a circus. The first thing they did (in my opinion) in the modern era was work on our image before they even started caring about wins.

I honestly don't think that the damage the Fletcher/Burke "fast turnaround" can be understated. From the start of the 08-off season to puck drop 09 set us back huge. A more patient hand might have hurt us in terms of 09 draft position, but would have seen us keep

Steen
Stralman
08- 3rd, 3rd (Schenn, Myers)
09- 2nd, 5th (Schenn & Hollweg)
10- 1st, 2nd, 4th (Kessel and McCabe)
11- 1st, 3rd (Kessel)
12- 7th (Primeau)

Plus had extra 09/10 1sts from better handling of McCabe and Kubina,
Plus seen us not whiff on the likes of Ryan/Blacker (well pretty much every pick for 4 years)

IMO both fans and team earned the 08-16 stretch with our impatience, and the name "Muskoka 5" is one of the most enduring symbols of that.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
IMO both fans and team earned the 08-16 stretch with our impatience, and the name "Muskoka 5" is one of the most enduring symbols of that.

Leaf fans seem to pride themselves on the ability to get players to not want to play in Toronto anymore. Half the time I expect to see that there's a big stamp board, Sylvester style, showing a bunch of players in Leaf uniforms, where they stamp a new one every time a player demands out...

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
If you are slamming away at those so called muskoka 5 players, I cant imagine you were ever a fan of this team for more than a handful of years because the bulk of the modern era was utter dogshit.

What have Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares done in the playoffs that have impressed you?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
What have Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares done in the playoffs that have impressed you?
well they sure haven't done anything that makes me want to hate them. You paint everything with the same brush and you sometimes forget JT was injured early in the playoffs.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
well they sure haven't done anything that makes me want to hate them. You paint everything with the same brush and you sometimes forget JT was injured early in the playoffs.

So, in other words they’ve done nothing.

That’s what I thought.

And don’t give me the “JT was injured early in the playoffs” excuse for why they lost last year. They won the next 3 games without him and had 3 chances to take the Habs out. They lost because when the lights were shining the brightest, they choked as usual, Plain and simple.

MJK

Nov 30, 2019
Marner blocked a shot in the playoffs two/three years ago, plus he plays on the PK! If that’s not a superstar worth 11m I don’t know what is?!?

Reactions: mikeyz

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
I doubt we ever see anything like the Muskoka 5 situation again. With social media exposure and fan outrage at an all time high, I don't see why any player would want to stay in a situation like this one. Unless things change drastically, I wouldn't be surprised to see Matthews walk at the end of his contract.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I doubt we ever see anything like the Muskoka 5 situation again. With social media exposure and fan outrage at an all time high, I don't see why any player would want to stay in a situation like this one. Unless things change drastically, I wouldn't be surprised to see Matthews walk at the end of his contract.
Matthews is one guy I don't see them taking that chance on.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
There are some similarities, especially in a particular player or two and their attitude (or so it appears), but, it's not really comparable beyond that as there is deeper leadership now among the group that does not revolve around the big money players.

The Muskoka 5 as I recall ALL had NTCs and they basically colluded to agree to NOT waive, ensuring that the team would sink or swim with their performance or lackthereof and management was handcuffed due to their contractual inability to trade them. This reality alone might be the biggest difference.

With this team, whether it's a Muzzin, Simmonds or Spezza or some other vet who has something to say, they will voice their opinion, the team seems to have an open policy to this expression. Yes, there is a pecking order in terms of contracts, but, the team is all willing to hear out guys even if they are 4th line players. This is probably a closer group than many of us would understand and to a man these players have expressed this.

This dynamic also lends credence to the Tavares captaincy making a great deal of sense to me. I can only assess this externally from my years of watching team sport and not some inside view of the team. Tavares isn't a centralized captain who demands control.

It's worked well for a teams chemistry as many of these players are cerebral, regardless of the fans unhappiness with playoff performance (among other issues). Win or lose with this team, at least from an optics standpoint, they appear to really enjoy their work environment and colleagues.

Reactions: kb and geo25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad