Do we now have a new MUSKOKA 5,?

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
With Reilly's new contract, 60% of the cap is allocated to 5 players - who have yet to win a Cup....let alone a round. while this 5 may be more talented, they have far less heart, grit & determination (not to mention they cost more) than the Original 5. Question, is history repeating itself? Will we ever when with these 5 prima donnas? Is it possible to when with that much $ is allocatted to only 5 players or.....as I suspect, will this core get management fired and force us to reboot.
What are your thoughts?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That was a veteran group looking to rebuild after past playoff runs that had more recently resulted in missing out on the postseason entirely. IIRC, Kaberle was the lone exception to the Muskoka Five being in their thirties at the time. Tavares is the only one now to fall into that age bracket out of the current group of five. Tavares and Rielly are also the only ones among the five to have NMCs. Any potential changes to the current core in the not-too-distant future should result in something closer to a retool rather than a rebuild. The current group might not end up experiencing a greater amount of success than the Muskoka Five were ultimately able to put together. That might prove to be one of the few similarities that link the groups together if it were to happen though.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Bud Auston Matthews is 24, Marner is 24, Nylander is 25, Rielly is 27. The Muskoka 5 were on their retirement legs and refused trades because they wanted their cushy lifestyles despite the team being dogshit. They were anchors that actively hamstrung the team and handcuffed management. This group and management are on the same page and have the same expectations. Two things being negative doesn't make them identical.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The Muskoka 5 was such a stupid thing. Those players didn’t want to leave Toronto and we do what Toronto fans do best. Let’s run them the f*** out of town!

if Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly and Nylander want to stay in Toronto that’s a win. They are all top tier players. If they want to be here that’s only a positive for the team long term. You could only hope all 5 want to stay.

Reactions: Craig Button

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
The Muskoka 5 was such a stupid thing. Those players didn’t want to leave Toronto and we do what Toronto fans do best. Let’s run them the f*** out of town!

if Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly and Nylander want to stay in Toronto that’s a win. They are all top tier players. If they want to be here that’s only a positive for the team long term. You could only hope all 5 want to stay.
The Musoska 5 had a sense of entitlement and refused to be traded (their right). My issue is more with today's core and their sense of entitlement and not living up to it. This team will not do well or go far as constructed.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The Musoska 5 had a sense of entitlement and refused to be traded (their right). My issue is more with today's core and their sense of entitlement and not living up to it. This team will not do well or go far as constructed.

But Musoska is such a beautiful place. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Roadhog

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Sounds like some so called casual fans who like to stir up shit on these here boards.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
With Reilly's new contract, 60% of the cap is allocated to 5 players - who have yet to win a Cup....let alone a round. while this 5 may be more talented, they have far less heart, grit & determination (not to mention they cost more) than the Original 5. Question, is history repeating itself? Will we ever when with these 5 prima donnas? Is it possible to when with that much $ is allocatted to only 5 players or.....as I suspect, will this core get management fired and force us to reboot.
What are your thoughts?
Dubas just doubled down on keeping the core of this underachieving team intact, thus ensuring he will be fired. Until then, no changes will be made.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
This is all just your opinion about people you don't know and how they feel.
I don't know how mods allow the same thread to be rehashed daily about how selfish and entitled these young players are when it is all just someone's baseless opinion.
This is all just your opinion about people you don't know and how they feel.
I don't know how mods allow the same thread to be rehashed daily about how selfish and entitled these young players are when it is all just someone's baseless opinion.
Were they not selfish when they demanded top $ without winning anything? I remember Gordie Howe earning $5,000/yr & working construction in the summer to make ends meet. So, don't casually mention entitlement.....60% of the cap for 5 players? Heck I wouldn't say a word if they earned it. It is not someone's baseless opinion...it's mine....based on watching more hockey than most on here. Just my opinion. But, I guess the TML don't mind paying for continuous losers because the fans (mostly corporate) always show up. Based on what I see (I know the sample is small) this team as constructed will not win 1 round (IF they make the playoffs).

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Were they not selfish when they demanded top $ without winning anything? I remember Gordie Howe earning $5,000/yr & working construction in the summer to make ends meet. So, don't casually mention entitlement.....60% of the cap for 5 players? Heck I wouldn't say a word if they earned it. It is not someone's baseless opinion...it's mine....based on watching more hockey than most on here. Just my opinion. But, I guess the TML don't mind paying for continuous losers because the fans (mostly corporate) always show up. Based on what I see (I know the sample is small) this team as constructed will not win 1 round (IF they make the playoffs).

why are you comparing Gordie Howe to these players? Salaries weren’t as large as they were now. Also news flash we aren’t the only team in the NHL trying this method. The Edmonton Oilers now have 5 players taking up the same amount of cap space. But no one is bitching about them. I rather our 5 versus their 5 to be completely honest.

soon many teams will be dealt the same hand.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

They were no more selfish than players like Ovechkin, McDavid, Kucherov, Rantanen, Tkachuk, Jones, Karlsson, Panarin, etc... They negotiated a contract that they thought was fair, everyone besides Doughty, Kane, and Toews appears to be paid for their regular season numbers, not for their track record of winning, if that were the case, McDavid would be a 6 million dollar player.

I really don't care what someone did 50 years ago.

Your opinion is not based on logic though, that is the issue. You've watched more hockey than most? You being old is supposed to make me think you know more about hockey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad