Do we now have a new MUSKOKA 5,?

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
They were no more selfish than players like Ovechkin, McDavid, Kucherov, Rantanen, Tkachuk, Jones, Karlsson, Panarin, etc... They negotiated a contract that they thought was fair, everyone besides Doughty, Kane, and Toews appears to be paid for their regular season numbers, not for their track record of winning, if that were the case, McDavid would be a 6 million dollar player.

I really don't care what someone did 50 years ago.

Your opinion is not based on logic though, that is the issue. You've watched more hockey than most? You being old is supposed to make me think you know more about hockey?
They were no more selfish than players like Ovechkin, McDavid, Kucherov, Rantanen, Tkachuk, Jones, Karlsson, Panarin, etc... They negotiated a contract that they thought was fair, everyone besides Doughty, Kane, and Toews appears to be paid for their regular season numbers, not for their track record of winning, if that were the case, McDavid would be a 6 million dollar player.

I really don't care what someone did 50 years ago.

Your opinion is not based on logic though, that is the issue. You've watched more hockey than most? You being old is supposed to make me think you know more about hockey?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Can't give this group any benefit of doubt, they lost that when they choked to Montreal. Doesn't even matter how they do in the regular season, they're a joke until they accomplish something when it matters.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
I don't have to know more about hockey to know this team has no heart, grit or determination...not to mention pride. Having watched over 50 years of hockey allows me to remember the proud, hard working, determined winning Leafs teams if the past. Will YOU ever do that?

Furthermore, this team needs, deserves & can afford the very best mgmt & coaching. Why isn't that happening?

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
People wonder why few Toronto players sign team-friendly contracts. Maybe it's because they know that there's a section of this fanbase that will turn on them and try to run them out of town.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Is asking & applauding for effort asking too much or am I missing something?

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Do they all have a NMC in their contact? Tavares and Reilly are the only ones that come to mind.

Bellefour20

Jan 25, 2021
Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
why are you comparing Gordie Howe to these players? Salaries weren’t as large as they were now. Also news flash we aren’t the only team in the NHL trying this method. The Edmonton Oilers now have 5 players taking up the same amount of cap space. But no one is bitching about them. I rather our 5 versus their 5 to be completely honest.

soon many teams will be dealt the same hand.
Oilers are currently at $37 mil on their top 5 guys and it will jump to $41 mil next season. The Leafs are at $46 mil for our top 5 currently and $48 mil next season. Unless I am looking at capfriendly wrong or not understanding your comment, thats $9 mil and $7 mil cheaper for their core 5 over ours.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Oilers are currently at $37 mil on their top 5 guys and it will jump to $41 mil next season. The Leafs are at $46 mil for our top 5 currently and $48 mil next season. Unless I am looking at capfriendly wrong or not understanding your comment, thats $9 mil and $7 mil cheaper for their core 5 over ours.

Its still a lot and it’s going to become the norm in the NHL with the way salary is increasing.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
People are scared Matthews won't stay....but it's also wrong for Matthews to feel that he's entitled to stay ?

I give up. If people are scared Matthews will flee then the Muskoka 5 is actually what you should be hoping for.

Reactions: Metroid

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
If you think these players are the new Muskoka 5, you dont understand the meaning behind the name
“The moniker “Muskoka five” Implied that veteran players in Toronto were too comfortable, content to play out the season and spend summers by the lake”

Have you watched the last 5 playoff rounds? Especially the past 2?

Other then the term “veterans” save for JT and Rielly, Until they prove me otherwise, I think that quote perfectly describes those 5 guys ATM.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
With Reilly's new contract, 60% of the cap is allocated to 5 players - who have yet to win a Cup....let alone a round.

You mean they've yet to win a round, let alone a Cup.

Sorry, but I'm an English prof buried in grading and the bastardization of the English language is starting to get to me.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Let's see what happens in the playoffs (if they make it).

I'm sure these guys will get their own nickname if they lose in the 1st round again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad