Do we buy-out Richards and make a play for Stastny?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yeah, and Callahan really, really wanted to remain a Ranger. It's all talk until pen gets put to paper.

Then again, I'm not crazy about Stastny as a Ranger either.

Yep.

The "Hes better than the last mistake" stuff doesn't work for me after all these years.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Sorry to burst your bubble Rangers Fans but Stastny already released a statement saying that he will take a pay cut to stay with the avalanche.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_25272278/paul-stastny-absolutely-willing-grant-avs-discount

Burst our bubbles? A good percentage of the fanbase wouldn't touch his upcoming contract with a 10 foot pole if we were 20 feet away.

luongo.gif

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Last edited by a moderator:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Management is not going to roll Stepan-Brassard-Miller at C with Lundqvist and Nash in their primes, and St. Louis on a ticking clock. Either they make a huge play for Stastny or another UFA, or they try and pry someone like ROR or Berglund from their respective teams via trade.

Try to pry ROR or Berglund then. That is the move that makes the most sense.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Stastny doesn't really appeal to me as a UFA. Unless someone massively overpays, I'd imagine he'll look to stay in Colorado. I don't want the Rangers to be the team that massively overpays him.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The really crazy thing is, IMO, the two biggest needs this team has—a #1 center and a puck-moving defenseman—are seemingly the hardest to find and two things the Rangers have been looking for for the better part of a decade.

So why not trade McI to bring one of those things back?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
So why not trade McI to bring one of those things back?

It wouldn't be a bad idea considering at this point we have 3 of 4 required top-4 defensemen locked into contracts (McD, G, Klein), with 2 all but guaranteed to resign (Staal, J. Moore), leaving a spot on the right side open for either Diaz or Allen (NHL ready and near-NHL ready, respectively).

Might as well move McIlrath + for low-to-mid end #1C... Also need to see how Diaz works with this team... Is he a PMD? Can he develop into one? Who knows

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Why would you buy out a player for the chance(not guarantee) to get another player who is roughly on par with the guy you buying out?

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Why would you buy out a player for the chance(not guarantee) to get another player who is roughly on par with the guy you buying out?

I wouldn't go after Stastny, but you do it because the player you'd be going after is a lot younger and doesn't have the cap recapture penalty with his contract.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I think saying Richards is "roughly on par" with Stastny is being pretty generous. Fewer points in more games, and Richards has no defensive game to speak of. Stastny is above average in his own end.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yet another reason to buy Richards out...

Richards makes more than double of what Stepan makes, and they have the same amount of points this season in the same amount of GP. Both on pace for around 50 something points. Which is a lot of money to be paying nearly 7 million dollars for a 50 point Center.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Yet another reason to buy Richards out...

Richards makes more than double of what Stepan makes, and they have the same amount of points this season in the same amount of GP. Both on pace for around 50 something points. Which is a lot of money to be paying nearly 7 million dollars for a 50 point Center.

Don't forget that Broadway Brad also doesn't give a damn about defense.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
at this point, the only thing that may or may not keep Richards' here is the fact that his buddy MSL is here...

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Absolutely have to buy out Richards. He's not an elite player anymore, yet he's paid like one.

The message that Sather and co. have sent with the MSL trade is that we need to win now. That means we need to target Stastny. I think he would do really well here between Nash and Kreider.

Kreider-Stastny-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-MSL
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Carcillo-Moore-guy with size that can hit/PK

is my ideal lineup for next season. Basically gives us a very good 1st line, 2 2nd lines, and a 4th line that's defensively responsible and can PK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad