Do we buy-out Richards and make a play for Stastny?

Clowes Line

Cally's Chicken Parm
Aug 11, 2010
New Yawk
www.outsidethegarden.com
Hey guys, long time no see. School, work, girlfriend, lots of stuff taking up my time. I'm not sure if this belongs in a different thread, but if so feel free to move it.

I was just looking at the impending free agents for this summer and saw that Paul Stastny is headlining the Centers. I remember the Rangers have been linked to him multiple times in the past during trading season, so there must be an interest level from the front office. Richie has played well this year, no doubt about it, but he is turning 34 years old and has a 6.67 cap hit, which you all know.

My opinion is that we have to buy him out, because as a 34 year old, I don't see how he'll be worth that money in say two years. Do you guys think we will buy him out and use that money to go after Paul Stastny?

Just curious for your opinions.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
It will be another mistake. Stastny will be looking at a big payday. It will just be like the last who knows how many UFA signings.

That said, I think they might be even more reluctant buying out Richards with St. Louis on the team now.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
No, chances of buying out Richards took a hit with the addition of MSL, and Stastny is going to be Richards 2.0 with a higher cap hit. No Thanks.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
No, chances of buying out Richards took a hit with the addition of MSL, and Stastny is going to be Richards 2.0 with a higher cap hit. No Thanks.

I sure hope thats not true.

Patience is a virtue in this situation. There are far worse things than buying Richards out and not immediately signing a high priced replacement.

Vidic15*

Probably best to see what Lindberg can do in training camp. Hopefully, he packs some offensive punch to go along with his defensive play and faceoff ability.

Outside possibility, Rangers may revisit Kesler in the offseason.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Probably best to see what Lindberg can do in training camp. Hopefully, he packs some offensive punch to go along with his defensive play and faceoff ability.

Outside possibility, Rangers may revisit Kesler in the offseason.

Where are the assets to acquire him coming from?

And also the mind-erasing technique to make him forget he hates AV

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
With MSL being such a good playmaker, do we make a play for a goal scoring center instead of one who is better known for playmaking? Seems like the prototype in the NHL is playmaking centers with goal scoring wingers.. Maybe we go playmaking winger with a goalscoring center? Just a thought.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't see them buying out Richards unless they are going to target Stastny or Kesler. We have no one to replace Richards and this is a contending team. They aren't going to buy him out and play rookies/young guys.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
I don't see them buying out Richards unless they are going to target Stastny or Kesler. We have no one to replace Richards and this is a contending team. They aren't going to buy him out and play rookies/young guys.

I hope they do. Richards on this team for 6 more years? Dear god no.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
Richards should be bought out. Sather should avoid Stastny.

The only problem is we don't have a replacement 1 or 2C going into next season. So, Richards won't be bought out. Yippee....

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I really don't think the addition of MSL has any impact on whether we buy out Richards or not. It would be pretty dumb to handcuff ourselves to Richard's contract for just one more year of those two playing together.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

I see where you're coming from, but this team really has no choice but to buy Richards out. That cap recapture penalty, or buying him out without compliance, is a much bigger hit than the one we'd have at 2C next season.

On top of that, there's also the conundrum of Brassard and that $3.7mil QO... Though, of recent games he's proven he's capable of playing to that contract.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Statsny is a very good defensively, is used on the pk. He's +10 Richards is -10. He has more goals than Richards. If it has to be Richards or PS plus anther million in salary, I have no doubt PS would be better choice.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

If BR and MSL find serious chemistry I don't think there's any way the decision doesn't become a tougher one for Sather, I don't like the idea of Stepan and Brass as our 1/2 C combo unless one or both take big steps forward next season, but in the long term I think buying out Brad is the best idea.

Also I don't like the idea of Sather's ego possibly getting in the way here, buying out Richards would be him admitting he made a bad decision with the future of this team that didn't work out long term, with that in mind look and all the other high priced free agents that have been signed since Richards who have been better players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad