Do we as fans need to pump the breaks a little on judging certain players?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Absolutely agree. I don't expect everyone to agree with every pick. Hell this would be a boring place if that were the case haha. We all have different exposure and thus different opinions of all of these prospect and that's a great thing and one of the reasons I keep coming back to this forum.

And to be completely fair I do feel a lot of the sensational posting I referred to has died down recently.

Oh yeah, that was the people like, I think his name was PetrPumpkinEater, who would not hear one negative thing about Petr Mrazek nor say one positive thing about Jimmy Howard. When you'd point out legitimate issues on how Petr was giving up goals (overcommiting AF), it would be responded to like you shot his dog.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I don't get this desire for a culture that is never critical of anything. If a guy didn't play well, he didn't play well. It's not a sufficient sample size to tell if he sucks, but it's fair to complain that he didn't play well. It's fair to say that it's worrying. High expectations require good performances, and misaligned expectations are troubling to most people.

Reactions: Syckle78 and Flowah

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
Whoa, whoa, whoa... let's back this train up. Let's pump those train brakes...

I think we should all think the most positive things in an unrealistic fashion so that the board is more positive. At least, I would prefer that towards the negative slant... if I had to pick. :D

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And to be completely fair I do feel a lot of the sensational posting I referred to has died down recently.
WHAT?!? We certainly can't have that!

Somebody make a bold prediction that Holland will get a 10 year extension! That Dan Cleary is making the opening night roster! That Brendan Smith is the next former player to return for a second stint with the team! ANYTHING!!!

If nothing else...Bench, flip a table, for Pete's sake! :laugh:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
There are a handful of posters on this board (they know who they are) that will dump on every prospect, draft pick, and roster decision management makes. I do like poking holes in their terrible arguments though.

Reactions: Oddbob and newfy

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
There are a handful of posters on this board (they know who they are) that will dump on every prospect, draft pick, and roster decision management makes. I do like poking holes in their terrible arguments though.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Bench

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
And there are plenty who treat every pick and prospect like they're the best decision that could have been made.

What was the point of that?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I don't see how you can over-estimate our prospects. They have been playing so well in pre-season that we'll probably not lose a game all year

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
its more fun to discuss polarizing/extreme/hot-take view points than just say "we'll have to wait and see what we really get, lets give it another 60 games" over and over. if everyone was moderate and perfectly reasonable the forum would be boring as hell.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Is it that surprising? When the team is good you have the actual season to look forward to, when they are bad it’s all about how people are developing.

Plus we are on hf where everything is a steal, a bust or a fleecing.

Reactions: TheMule93

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
And there are plenty who treat every pick and prospect like they're the best decision that could have been made.

What was the point of that?

No there really isnt. This board is ridiculously negative anymore, and if you say positive things about anything its considered that youre a Holland lover and blah blah blah. The only poster (who has even admitted to being overly positive) is Henkka. I think there are still a ot of even keeled posters who will point out the negatives but give recognition where its due, but there arent any posters really going crazy on the positive side.

It makes a lot of posters seem spoiled and is starting to feel like Mlive comments half the time

Reactions: SirloinUB

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I don't get this desire for a culture that is never critical of anything.

Who is asking for that?

its more fun to discuss polarizing/extreme/hot-take view points than just say "we'll have to wait and see what we really get, lets give it another 60 games" over and over. if everyone was moderate and perfectly reasonable the forum would be boring as hell.

The thing you're describing is called "drama." Some of us prefer as little of that in our lives as possible, and would rather be able to discuss dissimilar opinions in a more civilized manner.

Reactions: SirloinUB

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I’m more concerned with the system we are running as opposed to certain guys. Way too much stretching of the ice and looking for 100 foot passes. Results in little to no puck possession or puck support when we do have possession. Not sure if others agree

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I’m more concerned with the system we are running as opposed to certain guys. Way too much stretching of the ice and looking for 100 foot passes. Results in little to no puck possession or puck support when we do have possession. Not sure if others agree
Give it another year. I'm sure Steve will start making his list of coaching candidates soon enough. ;)

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
I don't get this desire for a culture that is never critical of anything. If a guy didn't play well, he didn't play well. It's not a sufficient sample size to tell if he sucks, but it's fair to complain that he didn't play well. It's fair to say that it's worrying. High expectations require good performances, and misaligned expectations are troubling to most people.

It depends really. I mean, I remember when half this board went nuts on Ericsson when he was defending a two on one and took away the pass. Mrazek was cheating, looking to play the same pass and by textbook, his job was to play the guy with the puck. He got scored on and Ericsson was somehow to blame. At the very core, the reason I feel was simple. Mrazek was seen as the goalie for years to come while Ericsson was a 'pylon'. There's rational criticism and then there's down right bias. And often people operate from the latter without even realizing it. I personally defended him Ericsson in that instance and quite a few others but I do criticize him for the habit of throwing the puck right in front of our net when clearing it out of the corners... So personally I think there's too much favoritism towards personal takes on here as oppose to judging individual instances as they are.

On the general topic of this thread though. I would say I'm very hopeful that the guys we have in the pipeline not only pan out buy go way farther than that. I guess I would say that I rather cheer them on than complain about them?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Would you like the spacegoats? I also have a good assortment of scapegoats. You can blame them for anything, it's awesome.

There is one with some messed up knees. He used to be awesome and ram into anything, but you can only do that for so long.
I got another one who will stay for like eight years after you want him gone, because he just wants you to love him.
The last one I want to note is a goat who's pretty above average as goats go. He tends to stumble and fall when trying to herd sheep though. Sometimes he lets some of the really weak ones through. He's kinda frustrating that way.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The main culture here is to whine about everything and have a spacegoat for everything what happens on and off ice. Blaim somebody!

I'm not a fan of that culture. I'll try to be exact opposite, to find the positives from a mix of positives and negatives. Who did good things. More interest about that kind of life.

I thought I had a bout of dyslexia when I first read this.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
On the other hand, people need to pump the brakes on the hype train. Sulak has had one good game. Let's make that 2 or 3 good games before we start guaranteeing him a roster spot and declaring him to have eclipsed all the other prospects.
Sulak for Norris. (Don't blame me; the spacegoats made me say it.)

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad