Do we as fans need to pump the breaks a little on judging certain players?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Was reading through some GDT's and from the sounds of it, Zadina and Rasmussen haven't looked particularly well. Of course its too early to tell what kind of player they are going to turn out to be but there was a lot of hype tied to these players and now it looks as though there is a complete 180 turn on how ppl feel about them. I think its safe to say that they (just like most young players) need more experience in the pro game before we get a good gauge on what kind of player they will be.

On the other end of the spectrum it looks like Cholo is getting a lot of praise. We have all seen this before. A young Dman that looks very promising only for them to fizzle into obscurity. Not saying this is going to happen to him, just that, we've seen it before.

I get we as fans get excited, but I think too many people make up their minds on certain players way too early. What say you?

Reactions: The Flying Octopus

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The main culture here is to whine about everything and have a spacegoat for everything what happens on and off ice. Blaim somebody!

I'm not a fan of that culture. I'll try to be exact opposite, to find the positives from a mix of positives and negatives. Who did good things. More interest about that kind of life.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
I get we as fans get excited, but I think too many people make up their minds on certain players way too early. What say you?

I think there are a lot of NHL Executives who make their minds up on certain players way too early, let alone how fans definitely do that. It's human nature, to an extent, to formulate opinions on people and things and get stuck with that same opinion. To me, players develop at different rates and have good seasons, bad seasons, good games, bad games, good shifts, and bad shifts. There are ebbs and flows to performance and there are also ebbs and flows in our own abilities to make accurate, reasonable, fair assessments/judgments of things and people. So, I think any time any of us formulate a judgment on something and refrain from allowing that opinion to evolve and develop, we're being short-sighted.

So, I think a lot of ppl/teams give up on guys too early and at times pigeon hole certain guys into certain roles and can never see them as something different

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you don’t have a big sample size of watching someone, it’s easy to overreact to a few preseason or training camp games.

I tend to go with what I’ve seen from bigger sample sizes (when possible). But I understand it is difficult and time consuming to watch or track some of these players outside of training camp and pre-season. So I think that might lead to some of what you are describing, as far as the prospects are concerned at least.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
The main culture here is to whine about everything and have a spacegoat for everything what happens on and off ice. Blaim somebody!

I'm not a fan of that culture. I'll try to be exact opposite, to find the positives from a mix of positives and negatives. Who did good things. More interest about that kind of life.

space_goat_by_satyricart-d3ehrkj.jpg

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Some of it is the nature of the format, though. It's not like intense dialogue on a local sports team will be fertilized by a healthy dose of, "let's wait and see". Especially on a message board.

I'm as guilty as anybody of locking in on a decision early, but sometimes a quick or otherwise bold take can spawn some good conversations.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Being overly negative or overly positive is basically the same thing, it just makes us feel better in different ways. I don't think any fan on either side of the spectrum is better or worse.
Pfft...homer. ;) :D

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If you say a player is going to be trash or great because of a few games, you're being silly.

But there's no reason you shouldn't be able to just say that one player had a good or bad game. It happens. Saying it doesn't mean you're making a long-term judgment on that player. I think people get that confused a lot with saying "this player is going to be elite/trash."

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If you say a player is going to be trash or great because of a few games, you're being silly.

But there's no reason you shouldn't be able to just say that one player had a good or bad game. It happens. Saying it doesn't mean you're making a long-term judgment on that player. I think people get that confused a lot with saying "this player is going to be elite/trash."
I think the thread was born from some stuff like ”you don’t win games with big net front players!” in the same game that ended on a Rasmussen GWG. Definitely some big judgements thrown around.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
In the end, like @jkutswings said, the discussion of players in such detail is kind of what you get in an internet forum. We need SOMETHING to talk about, and when we see the new blood play we are going to gravitate to what we are seeing out of them and what it may mean for their future on the team.

The idea this is bred from some "complaining" culture isn't rooted in reality.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

For me it's more of an issue of people posting polarizing opinions without context rather than having a nuanced discussion. In the spirit of your first sentence, things are never black and white with prospects yet many acted like the sky was falling when we drafted Cholowski and Rasmussen.

I guess, I'm just one to prefer a rational detail oriented discussion on prospects rather than a overly dramatic one liner about how terrible Holland and his prospects are.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For me it's more of an issue of people posting polarizing opinions without context rather than having a nuanced discussion. In the spirit of your first sentence, things are never black and white with prospects yet many acted like the sky was falling when we drafted Cholowski and Rasmussen.
But it's ok to have been disappointed by those picks AT THE TIME, and yet be more encouraged by the players SINCE THEN.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
But it's ok to have been disappointed by those picks AT THE TIME, and yet be more encouraged by the players SINCE THEN.

Absolutely agree. I don't expect everyone to agree with every pick. Hell this would be a boring place if that were the case haha. We all have different exposure and thus different opinions of all of these prospect and that's a great thing and one of the reasons I keep coming back to this forum.

And to be completely fair I do feel a lot of the sensational posting I referred to has died down recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad