Do the Sedins want to win?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The cold, calculated, rational move would be to trade them, and then re-sign them, yes,

But I can respect that they don't want to go anywhere. And while I usually am on the "trade away vets" bandwagon at the deadline, the Sedins are a different case and simply deserve different treatment.

I can understand from their end. Even if they were to accept being traded to a contender, would it be worth it to maybe have a small chance of winning with a team you have no affiliation toward, with teammates you don't know, and leave behind the city, team and family you've been with your entire career? I'm not sure.

I can really understand, and believe they're telling the truth, when in that Player's Tribune article they say that even if they could win with another team, it just wouldn't feel the same.

They're not going to Sundin us. They're going to come back or retire. The Sedins, for all intents and purposes, ARE the Canucks. Let them do what they want.

And because of their stance, I feel that when the contractual obligation ends in June, that should be the end of the relationship.

There's no point in keeping them around.

How much leadership do they really bring? Team has been the 3rd, 2nd and currently the 4th worst team in the NHL. It's not like the team is going to fall 10 spots in the standings without them.

Plus, the way this management group has viewed the twins and made moves since "it wouldn't be fair to the twins", either the twins go or management goes. Can't both be here.

Plus, should there be a change in GM, the team needs to let the new GM decide if they are worth bringing back. Only thing JB should have asked their agent was if they have changed their minds about getting traded at the TDL. If the answer is still no, that's find. Discussion ends.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
It's a moot point that was made doubly moot when we retained salary on Hansen.

They aren't going anywhere.

Unrelated note but why did they even have to retain on Hansen? Was that the only way they could get a feasible return? That doesn't check out, considering at the time he only had one year left at 2.65, albeit he declined hard this season but most people didn't see that coming. That trade continues to look more and more underwhelming, especially with Goldobin struggling to make it, they probably should've targeted more picks in that trade but that's a different discussion entirely.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
its funny when people talk about "wanting to win" as a quality that they could somehow identify, visually, in elite athletes. almost every single one of them wants to win the cup a hell of a lot more than any of you want them to and its kind of insane that people would question otherwise

like.. how the **** do you think people get to be in the top 0.001% of people performing an activity? apathy and a lot of luck?

an identical twin brother, obvs

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Maybe try to be more open minded. Not everybody wants to win with a team they don't feel a part of. There are certainly plenty of players (Who I would never question their desire to win) who were loyal to their teams and would have gone down with the ship.

Pretty much this.

I would love to the following:

-Trade Henrik for a 1st and a GOOD prospect (50% retention)
-Re-sign Daniel a week later to a one year deal (to show the twins that the Canucks are still committed to having them)
-Re-sign Henrik in the off-season to a one year deal. Same cap hit as Daniel.

However - the twins have earned the right to call the shots, and this franchise owes them that. You can't just take an old loyal horse behind the barn and shoot it when it gets old. If the twins don't want to be moved at all, for whatever reason, Benning and Linden need to respect that.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pretty much this.

I would love to the following:

-Trade Henrik for a 1st and a GOOD prospect (50% retention)
-Re-sign Daniel a week later to a one year deal (to show the twins that the Canucks are still committed to having them)
-Re-sign Henrik in the off-season to a one year deal. Same cap hit as Daniel.

However - the twins have earned the right to call the shots, and this franchise owes them that. You can't just take an old loyal horse behind the barn and shoot it when it gets old. If the twins don't want to be moved at all, for whatever reason, Benning and Linden need to respect that.
If they don't want to go, that's fine. It's in their contract.

But, they should not be option A when it comes to th off season. Find better. And if not, time to roll with the kids.

Let's see what their point totals are from here to the END of the season now that Bo is back with brock. Henrik is currently 30 games without a goal.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Sure they want to win... with the Canucks.
Maybe not the most reasonable goal, but I admire their loyalty.

As for next year? Well, unless a bunch of our young guys kick down the door, we're going to need to sign some kind of FA replacements to fill the Sedin's spots. Why not them? Our options are going to be pretty slim because, ain't no way Tavares or any other stud is going to want to sign here.

Sign the Sedins for a year... pay them 3rd line money and give them 3rd line time. Repeat if necessary, but hopefully by 2019-20 our young guys will be rounding out and we won't have to do that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure they want to win... with the Canucks.
Maybe not the most reasonable goal, but I admire their loyalty.

As for next year? Well, unless a bunch of our young guys kick down the door, we're going to need to sign some kind of FA replacements to fill the Sedin's spots. Why not them? Our options are going to be pretty slim because, ain't no way Tavares or any other stud is going to want to sign here.

Sign the Sedins for a year... pay them 3rd line money and give them 3rd line time. Repeat if necessary, but hopefully by 2019-20 our young guys will be rounding out and we won't have to do that.
Based in contracts we likely have

Bo, Brock, sven
Eriksson, Sutter, gagner
Gaunce, granlund,

The young kids as you mentioned are going to be

Goldy, Virtanen, gaudette, and pettersson. I am more bullish on gaudette playing due to his age.

That's 12 forwards. Would rather dip into day 2/3 of free agency to fill in the other 1-2 roster spots . Time to take the training wheels off.

Look at adding a veteran pk guy.

See what kind of low risk deal you get get at forward who might give some offense.

That's how I would like the team to roll.

If you can trade gagner and granny, you can bring the twins back in their place. But, it's time to roll with the kids. Cause if you keep everyone that I listed and add the twins that is 14 forwards. So, who sits out? Not the twins....

So, back to Jake, Goldy, the rookies. Been there done that.

Reactions: moog35

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Fact: NHL screwed the Sedins by removing their bodyguard during the final. Rome was given an unprecedented suspension length ensuring the Sedins were left exposed for the rest of the series. What would two sane sensible men do in the face of this kind of BS? I think they'd accept league politics exist in a poorly run league and take comfort in giant pay checks. Who could blame them?

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Honestly, if rather see the return of the Sedins rather than Gagner and Granlund.

I won't cry if they walk, but I do believe they will still have something of value to contribute, albeit in a strictly limited role.

But you also have to think team. Granlund kill penalties. So, you should be replacing them with guys who can do that and give more offense. That is not the twins.

Are they really going to be able to dump gagner? Taking back a contract. At least he brings some speed.

Eriksson not moving his contract. Sutter, overpaid for his role, but his role is different than the twins. Green is using him as a checker.

We can't simply drop the lowest offensive guys and say, there's room for the twins. Roles matter. I don't expect Virtanen, pettersson, gaudette, goldy to be on the pK next year. And I don't want Bo burned out playing too much pk.

Colorado turned it around. Now more pressure on van to do so too.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
But you also have to think team. Granlund kill penalties. So, you should be replacing them with guys who can do that and give more offense. That is not the twins.

Are they really going to be able to dump gagner? Taking back a contract. At least he brings some speed.

Eriksson not moving his contract. Sutter, overpaid for his role, but his role is different than the twins. Green is using him as a checker.

We can't simply drop the lowest offensive guys and say, there's room for the twins. Roles matter. I don't expect Virtanen, pettersson, gaudette, goldy to be on the pK next year. And I don't want Bo burned out playing too much pk.

Colorado turned it around. Now more pressure on van to do so too.
I'd be tempted to give Granlund's PK role to Gaudette.

offense: B B B Sedin Sedin Pettersson

defense: Gaunce Sutter Gaudette Eriksson Virtanen (Gagner/Granlund)

Bringing the Sedins back at 1 year and 1/2 the current price (room to add a UFA forward ie EKane) is fine provided they accept the team is not competing for the cup and no moves will be made to appease them. It takes the heat of Pettersson to step straight in at centre at NHL level, so he can end where he fits best, be it on Horvat's wing, the Sedin's wing or even at centre. He can also be sent to the AHL if he needs more time.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wouldn't expect pettersson to play in the AHL. Likely back to shl if he's not ready.

I'd drop gaudette at center and let him work a line with bear in his wing. Move a rookie up with bo like goldy.

Rather use the cap space to change it up. Let's take the training wheels off. Try to find some bargains in free agency. Plenty of cap space to do so.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It comes to a point were family comes first. They never will quit on the team, and Im sure they will win, but this is not the NBA, and it's no gaurantee they will win anyways whoever they get traded too.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
This is why players like Luongo and Kesler wanted out of town. To win at hockey it requires a whole team to do it. And if your best players are not sacrificing everything to win, why bother.

You might want to do some research on why Luongo wanted out.

Reactions: lawrence

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Unrelated note but why did they even have to retain on Hansen? Was that the only way they could get a feasible return? That doesn't check out, considering at the time he only had one year left at 2.65, albeit he declined hard this season but most people didn't see that coming. That trade continues to look more and more underwhelming, especially with Goldobin struggling to make it, they probably should've targeted more picks in that trade but that's a different discussion entirely.

Hansen is a good 3rd line player. Most 3rd line players don't get traded for a prospect that was a 1st round pick

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Iirc San Jose had cap problems, evidenced by Marleau leaving, and didnt have a 2nd or 3rd round pick

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
IMAC with a piece on SN that the twins will take their time deciding on their future. Probably writing the same schitck about them.

That there are not 9 players better and that they can mentor players cause of the success of bo and brock.

Look at last night's win against chicago. Sedins got 12 minutes of ice. Why, cause like early in the year when they were winning, green gives bo's kine 17 minutes and uses Sutter as a checking line at 17 minutes as well. Plus, those guys kill penalties. That leases the last 2 lines to split the remaining 25 odd minutes.

Based on scoring, won't be 9 better than the sedins. But, based on winning, there should be 9 that can help them win with the way green wants his lines setup.

And bo and Brock are very mature. What concerns me about the twins mentoring is that Hutton seems to have plateaued, as has Stecher, as when he first arrives he was calling foe the puck and being aggressive. He's backed down from that. Then you have Jake and Goldy. Has their mentoring helped that many guys?

Team is contractually obligated to Eriksson aND gagner. Can't move loui. Good luck with gagner. That's 2/3 of a line at $9.15 million. R they going to pay the sedins $8 million and have $17 million plus for 4 guys who are over 30?

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
I know the Sedins can still produce more than a lot of players and there is some validity in bringing them back for a drastically reduced dollar figure, but I don't think this team will progress until they're gone. I think it's time that they hand the team over to Horvat and go on their merry way. This team is gonna be in the basement of the NHL anyway, so the Sedins aren't gonna help that.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hansen is a good 3rd line player. Most 3rd line players don't get traded for a prospect that was a 1st round pick
Goldobin didn’t have the value of a first round pick when we traded for him.

This season we traded a 4th rounder for a player picked in the first round and it looks like we overpaid for it.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Fact: NHL screwed the Sedins by removing their bodyguard during the final. Rome was given an unprecedented suspension length ensuring the Sedins were left exposed for the rest of the series. What would two sane sensible men do in the face of this kind of BS? I think they'd accept league politics exist in a poorly run league and take comfort in giant pay checks. Who could blame them?
My favourite post of 2018 so far.

So accurate.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Goldobin didn’t have the value of a first round pick when we traded for him.

This season we traded a 4th rounder for a player picked in the first round and it looks like we overpaid for it.

He was still considered a top prospect. You don't get a top prospect for 3rd line player

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Luongo wanted to go to Florida, and only Florida. Him wanting out had nothing to do with winning, he just wanted to go home.

Wonder if a certain someone would ever admit Luongo clearly doesn't have the drive, passion, and love for the game since he wanted to go to Florida. :popcorn:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I know the Sedins can still produce more than a lot of players and there is some validity in bringing them back for a drastically reduced dollar figure, but I don't think this team will progress until they're gone. I think it's time that they hand the team over to Horvat and go on their merry way. This team is gonna be in the basement of the NHL anyway, so the Sedins aren't gonna help that.

I agree, for all the talk about how critical the Sedins leadership is, the team is a bottom feeder for 3 years running.

I think people, including the dummies in management, might be surprised how the culture on this team will be just fine with a young leadership group led by Horvat and Boeser. In fact the team might be energized.

At some point you have to turn the page and move forward with a fresh approach. This clearly hasn’t been working for a while now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad